mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Stumpjumper Carbon HT vs. FSR aluminum???

Lets here it hardtail & full suspension riders...

My mind is a mess right now. I don't know if I should get the 2008 Stumpjumper HT Expert Carbon or the SJ FSR's????

However, if I got the FSR I would have to get an elite or expert and go aluminum instead of the counterpart carbon HT I might get since those FSR's are expensive.

Any thoughts?

THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    what are you riding on? i love the hardtail SJ i wouldve got one but the terrain is so vicious here i went full suspension, if your offroads dont jar your body every 2 feet and you arent constantly boulder bashing go for the hardtail

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here in central jersey you can be riding anything from the rocky mountains to smooth singletrack to smooth/rooty trails. But I do want something fast and light. I know the FSR Pro is carbon but I don't have that much money to spend.

I plan on doing some races and definately some Xterra races too, but I don't like the Epic. Something about it seems too complex and you can't adjust it while you ride unless if you get off your bike, which is crazy. I am selecting from specialized b/c I get it at really good prices through my team. Or else I would get a cannondale scalpel.

I'm pretty sure the SJ HT expert carbon will weight 21 pounds or less.

How light are the FSR elites and experts? How fast do the feel? Uphill? Downhill?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    First, you can get a much better idea of weight with the "how light is your stumpjumper" thread; but, I can say to expect a large Elite to weigh around 28lbs.

As for what's better, this is usually more of a "how old are you" type question. If you've gotten out of bed whining about your back, then get a full suspension. If you think excessive pounding and vibration (while riding a bike ) are required, then go with the hardtail.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ok, a base 2008 stumpjumper hardtail 19 inch weighs 24 pounds, the carbon frame is around a pound lighter so i dont think 21 pounds is being realistic, dont sweat it though i tried an 07 base stumpy ht with the m4 frame and its very light, which means if you go for a ht 08 SJ nomatter which one you go for your getting a really light bike

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    ok, a base 2008 stumpjumper hardtail 19 inch weighs 24 pounds, the carbon frame is around a pound lighter so i dont think 21 pounds is being realistic
    Yes, but the high end stumpy will have lighter components in addition to the carbon frame, so 21# is feasible...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    not that much, its not exactly dripping with XTR stuff plus itll have disc brakes which are heavier than the v brakes on the base model.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    My '07 carbon Marathon HT was 24.4 pounds out of the box in a 19in. This is with the extremely heavy Specialized tubeless tires on it, with Larson TT's set up with stans, a lighter saddle, and a slightly heavier riser bar, it was 23.2.
    However, this is by far the fastest bike I have ever ridden. It is unbelievably stiff, and has one of the best ride feels of any hardtail over rough terrain. It climbs like a mountain goat, and corners like it is on rails (really, it took me several rides to get used to how fast it cut into a turn).
    And the SJ FSRs nice, but, those bikes really aren't comparable to the HTs. The HT is pure race, while the SJ fully is a 5 inch travel trail bike. Not really a race machine.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    yeh, if you dont like the scalpel, just go with the ht. the stumpy is pure trail bike, not near what is ideal for an xc race course (although i raced xc on mine, but thats another story). if you dont like the epic, go ht. those things are fast and sweet, and pretty stiff. you can drop weight through some cmax wheels and fast trak sworks tires, best bang for buck, and youll have the ultimate machine. i can see you regretting buying the fully, wishing you had gone for the ht, but i dont see you regretting the ht as much. good luck, either bike is sweet, although the scalpel is race-bred too

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was saying that I want a scalpel but I can't get that team prices since my team is not sponsored by them. Or else I would get a scalpel. That thing is sick despite the recalls. The technology and cannondale's innovative thinking is just awesome.

So yea I think I am going to get the 2008 Stumpjumper HT Expert Carbon. It will be my first carbon mtn bike. I want to feel how a lightweight, carbon mtn bike feels. I can't see it soaking up much like people claim and I want to feel that myself. Right now I lug a 35lb+ mtn bike. So let's see how shaving like 12 pounds feels.

As for a FS mtn bike.... I think I want to get my hands on a used Cannondale Rush Carbon. One because I like to diversify my bike brands. Two, because I just real ridiculously awesome things about them. Three, I can race marathons and ride whatever wherever I please, but not extreme all mountain or freeride. Four, I hear iffy reviews about the Stumpy FSR. Five, the bike is just so different and innovative. It seems to me specialized has a tendency to jsut beef up the frames and components and just call it the next ride up. Don't get me wrong they make great bikes (or else I wouldn't be gettting one), but people like me like to see different designs in the same company.

I spoke to the people at a specialized demo. They said the FSR Pro Carbon weighs like 25 pounds and that the stumpy HT carbon expert would have to weigh less that that. I don't know if I'm getting my hopes up but it better be close or under 23 pounds. I ride a 17". Also, they said that Sauser has actually been racing the FSR and placing in the top rankings.

Do you think that 17" is the "medium" for the Stumpjumper HT or 18"? I rode both and I can't seem to decide which size. I'm 5'9 and I ride a 54cm/55cm road. I'm in that shady gray area and it annoys me when it comes to selecting size. I'm guessing the 17" is the medium, if so that makes me feel better because that's what I'm leaning towards. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    We have a 18in in our shop and it weighs in the mid 23's. But that is with a heavy cassette and stock tires.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    17 = Medium
    But you could honestly go with either.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey I picked my bike it. It is a dream. I haven't got to ride it on the trails yet though. Way too muddy. It is not an s-works BUT it is very light. The frame is so light you can feel the back and the front pulling it down. I have never ridden a carbon mtn and this is the first. It is fast and very crisp. But it's not too light where it won't have any problems sticking to the trail. Which is a good thing.

The carbon really soaks up the vibrations. I'm gonna thow slicks on my other wheelset and make it my road bike too since it's so light. I'm purposely selling my road just to accomodate space and $ for this. I can't even imagine how a set of crossmax's would feel on this.

It has this really neat new ratchet skewer system too. I looked at it when I got it in the bike shop and the builder was like yea let me tell you how to use those.

It's so badass. Love the black and the FACT color touch and the red from the Avids.

WOW!

I will write a review about it soon after I ride the trails and situate myself in this machine. Way different ride than my previous mtn bike.

HOW DO YOU UPLOAD BIKES WITHOUT IT GIVING YOU ERRORS?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by SoooFreshSoooClean

HOW DO YOU UPLOAD BIKES WITHOUT IT GIVING YOU ERRORS?

Resize the photos to conform to the size requirements, or put them up on Flikr or Photobucket and embed the HTML or paste the link from those sites. But hurry, I want to see it...