Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 104
  1. #1
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,733

    Stumpjumper Brake Squealing

    I know the older models have been discussed at length but has anyone had a problem with the 2011 or 2012 Stumpjumpers? They both use the same brakes. I saw some nice closeouts on 2011s today. I hate to get a bike that's going to be in the shop more than the trail.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  2. #2
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    My 2012 Stumpy Evo 29 HT has the Elixir 7s. They are loud and vibrate. I have tried it all, dealer has tired too. I am replacing the rotors with Alligators as that is a possible fix. Will see if it works. To be honest, I am used to it but it still sucks. I clean them religiously and they are quite for a bit and then as they get hot and dusty/dirty, gobbling/vibrations start. Wouldn't hesitate to buy the bike again, its worth it even if I have to dump another few hundred in it at some point for new brakes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeBurnsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    246
    I never had a problem with the brakes on my StumpJumper, Avid Elixir R's. Having said that, I did put new pads on the rear, went thru the bedding process, and developed a squeal. Removed the pads and rotor, scuffed'em up with some emery paper wiped everything down with alcohol and they haven't made a peep since.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I have tried it all, dealer has tired too.
    What does this mean? What have you and your LBS tried? I'm only asking because I have a new less then 1 month old Stumpy (2012) that squeals like a pig and the front also vibrates at times. I also don't feel like I really get a lot of stopping power from these 7 SL's. I was thinking about just converting to organic. I know they reduce squealing and grip better. The trade off is frequent replacement. Thoughts?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    360
    2011 Stumpjumper 29 Comp Aluminum.If the Avids squeal, it may be from vibrations caused by the harmonic in the stays on aluminum bikes. Avid sent a G3SS solid sweep replacement rotor. I bedded it in per their instructions and it is quiet.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    i replaced the rotors on my '12 enduro with shimano xt icetech rotors and virtually all brake noise is gone. if i am using them a on a long decent, then off them for a bit, when i first start using the brakes again there is a slight squeak but goes away in a few seconds. i am satisfied... oh, also helps with brake fade too.
    Juice

  7. #7
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,733
    So, it sounds like the consensus is that Yes they still squeal. I really like Specialized but don't want to waste what little time I have wrenching. Any suggestions?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    I have never and I StumpJumper Avid's Elixir R brake problems. Nevertheless, I put the new pad on the back to the process of bedding, and developed a scream. Remove the sandpaper pad and rotor scuffed'em eliminate all alcohol and they did not peep.

  9. #9
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by MacinSeed View Post
    What does this mean? What have you and your LBS tried? I'm only asking because I have a new less then 1 month old Stumpy (2012) that squeals like a pig and the front also vibrates at times. I also don't feel like I really get a lot of stopping power from these 7 SL's. I was thinking about just converting to organic. I know they reduce squealing and grip better. The trade off is frequent replacement. Thoughts?
    The first thing we (LBS and I) did was replaced the rear rotor and pads with a new rotor (same HS1) and Avid organic pads. This was per a call to Avid. I bedded the rear in per Avid's directions and got the same result on my next ride - noise/vibration. We replaced both the front and rear pads again with Avid organics and I sanded both rotors down and re-beded them - same result. To me, they stop fine, but they shouldn't feel this way. I am going to try the Alligator Serration rotors this week f/r and see if it helps. If not, dealer is going to call Avid and we will see what they come up with. Finally, I clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol after each ride. They are fine for the first 10 mintues and then it comes back every time.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  10. #10
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    So, it sounds like the consensus is that Yes they still squeal. I really like Specialized but don't want to waste what little time I have wrenching. Any suggestions?
    You can always just have the LBS swap them for something else from day 1 and be done with it. But, not all of them do it - plenty of these bikes never make any noise so it seems to be a crap shoot.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    356
    have the 2011 SJ FSR Elite (brakes are Avid Elixir R). squeals (usually on the front brake) have been easily fixed by dragging the brake on a long descend or by making a slight adjustment to the brake alignment. also, keep in mind the front disc is relatively large so i've found it's more easily slightly bent after aggressive riding (ie, crashes) which have easily been adjusted in a couple minutes of truing. granted, after a few 'adjustments' the disc needs to be replaced usually. barring those examples, continuing squeals would be more fluke than the norm in my view ... at least with respect to this bike/brake given my experience hasn't had it. in contrast, knew a guy with a high-end Giant xc race bike that howled no matter what he did ... and he was a bike mechanic with tons of experience/knowledge that just accepted it as one of those things sometimes.

  12. #12
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    have the 2011 SJ FSR Elite (brakes are Avid Elixir R). squeals (usually on the front brake) have been easily fixed by dragging the brake on a long descend or by making a slight adjustment to the brake alignment. also, keep in mind the front disc is relatively large so i've found it's more easily slightly bent after aggressive riding (ie, crashes) which have easily been adjusted in a couple minutes of truing. granted, after a few 'adjustments' the disc needs to be replaced usually. barring those examples, continuing squeals would be more fluke than the norm in my view ... at least with respect to this bike/brake given my experience hasn't had it. in contrast, knew a guy with a high-end Giant xc race bike that howled no matter what he did ... and he was a bike mechanic with tons of experience/knowledge that just accepted it as one of those things sometimes.
    Yes, but the issue isn't just noise, its vibration. I think until people have experienced it, they don't quite understand this issue that seems to be specific to Specialized bikes. I can handle noise, but when its vib'ing badly its quite un-nerving.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 05-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    The Avids that came on my bike, 2012 SJ Evo HT, are crap in my opinion. I swapped mine out after having the rear brake stop working either during a race or shortly thereafter. Once I changed brakes I haven't had any noise or vibration, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    129
    I have the 2012 S-Works epic, bike has SRAM XX world cup breaks. They are now in a box sitting far away from my ears. From day one they squealed and vibrated to the point of embarrassment. I stripped both levers within 5 min of riding, took the bike in to lbs to find another guy with the same busted levers. I now have Shimano XTRs and my god it's like apples to oranges. I will never go back to SRAM.

    The XX SRAM does look good through.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    128
    Tonytourist,

    What did you switch to?? My Elixirs that came on my Carbon Comp Epic vibrate so bad that I initially thought I broke a spoke. I have sanded, cleaned, cleaned, sanded, etc. Like TiGeo, they are initially better, but within the first 10 minutes, they go right back to the same vibration. They still stop fine and I don't mind the noise, but the vibration is driving me crazy. I am seriously considering swapping them out for Simano XTRs and being done with it.

    SM

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    I got a set of Magura MT2s, since I have had good luck with the Marta SLs on my other mtb. I was definitely thinking about the XT brakes since a friend I ride with has a set and likes them.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    My 1 month old 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp has a bad vibration from the rear wheel. Hope to get it looked at ASAP by my LBS.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    280
    Take them brakes off and git cha som xt or xtr brakes. But jest one furm warnin' I got ta give ya:

    The first time ya hit them new brakes? Yu's gunna be flyin' thru the air cause it will b the furst time ya ever had brakes on them stumpjumpers.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    831
    Ive gotten rid of the turkey gobble and shutter on juicy s by using alligators I have a set coming for my elixirs also...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  20. #20
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    Take them brakes off and git cha som xt or xtr brakes. But jest one furm warnin' I got ta give ya:

    The first time ya hit them new brakes? Yu's gunna be flyin' thru the air cause it will b the furst time ya ever had brakes on them stumpjumpers.
    Now I know where the Old Coot went after he left Dirt Rag...
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  21. #21
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Ive gotten rid of the turkey gobble and shutter on juicy s by using alligators I have a set coming for my elixirs also...
    Great to hear! Mine come tomorrow and I hope they work as well for me.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X29 with Avid Elixir 5 brakes and had the turkey-gobble and vibration through the frame. Found the below post and followed the directions to the T except reused the stock OEM pads and lightly sanded them. Cleaned disc with brake cleaner. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions. Problem entirely went away and have since put on over 400 quiet-brake miles on the bike.

    I read some of the posts by TiGeo about the brake noise/gobble on his 2012 Stumpy so when I purchased a new 2012 Stumpjumper Comp HT 29er, before I ever rode it, I did the Orange CRC Disc Brake Quiet fix on the stock OEM pads. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions and have never once had noise/gobble/vibration. Now have 150 miles on the Stumpy. My Stumpy came with Elixir 7SL brakes.

    why do people still use avid brakes?

  23. #23
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Man, I am all over trying this. Will pick up some brake goo today! I like that he has a theory of why it works as well.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoJeff View Post
    I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X29 with Avid Elixir 5 brakes and had the turkey-gobble and vibration through the frame. Found the below post and followed the directions to the T except reused the stock OEM pads and lightly sanded them. Cleaned disc with brake cleaner. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions. Problem entirely went away and have since put on over 400 quiet-brake miles on the bike.

    I read some of the posts by TiGeo about the brake noise/gobble on his 2012 Stumpy so when I purchased a new 2012 Stumpjumper Comp HT 29er, before I ever rode it, I did the Orange CRC Disc Brake Quiet fix on the stock OEM pads. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions and have never once had noise/gobble/vibration. Now have 150 miles on the Stumpy. My Stumpy came with Elixir 7SL brakes.

    why do people still use avid brakes?

    What was the break in steps that you followed?

  25. #25
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    What was the break in steps that you followed?
    Avid has a procedure for breaking in their brakes - I have the sheet from Avid, just not at work with me. Here are the basics:

    Get going ~12 mph and slow yourself down to nearly a stop, but don't stop! Don't lock up the brakes! Stay seated! Do this ~10 times.

    Do the same thing, except get going ~20 mph, ~5 times.

    Let it all cool down and don't ride it while they are still hot.

    Thats basically it. Its just a method to get an even distribution of brake pad material embedded in the rotors.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    What was the break in steps that you followed?
    Per Avid's Elixir 9, 7, 5 and Code, Code R User Manual:

    PAD BED-IN
    To safely achieve optimal results, remain seated on the bike during the entire bed-in procedure. Accelerate the bike to a moderate speed, then firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty times. Next, accelerate the bike to a faster speed. Then very firmly and suddenly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately ten times.
    Important: do not lock up the wheels at any point during the bed-in procedure.
    Allow the brakes to cool prior to any additional riding.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Once the new pads are properly BED-IN, is it okay to take them out and clean them? If so, does each pad need to go back in the same exact location it was removed from each caliper?
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    360
    Per the 2010 Avid Technical Manual>

    1. Accelerate the bike to a moderate speed
    (approximately 19 kilometers or 12 miles per
    hour), then firmly apply the brakes until you are
    at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty
    times.
    2. Accelerate the bike to a faster speed
    (approximately 32 kilometers or 20 miles per
    hour). Then very firmly and suddenly apply the
    brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat
    approximately ten times.
    important: do not lock up the wheels at any point
    during the bed-in procedure.
    3. Allow the brakes to cool prior to any additional
    riding.

    This worked for me after installing a solid sweep G3SS and new pads from Avid on my 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT rear.. No more hellish noise.

    Remember to keep your rotors clean with isopropyl alcohol.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    A little bit more info on my application:

    I applied a THIN coat of the CRC Disc Brake Quiet using a tooth pick. Was very careful about only applying the goo to the pad surface that backs up to the metal spring-clip. Think of it as you are gluing the spring-clip to the pad. No goo on anywhere else. Following BigHit-Maniac's instructions, I also applied goo to the eyelet of the pads. NO goo on backing of pads.

    The goo sets up and the spring-clip and 2 pads stay glued together as a unit. After 400 goo-installed miles, when my pads were due for replacement, the spring and pads were still stuck together but they easily separated as the goo never fully hardens. So the spring-clip and 2 pads acted more like one part and maybe this is the key, no spring-clip resonance when you brake. thanks BHM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MotoJeff; 04-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.

  30. #30
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Dude. Seriously, they are quiet now! I replaced the rotors with Alligator Serrations front and rear from Pricepoint, followed the procedure that MotorJeff recommended, and then bedded the pads in. BAM! They are silent. Before, during the bed-in, they would start to vibrate and get noisy..now silence. YES!!!!!! I am excited to ride Thursday and put them to true test. THANKS FOR THE INFO!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    Anyone know if you can bed-in after they've been ridden for a while? I have a 2011 Rockhopper LTD 29r that came with Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors that have squealed since day one - 2 different bike shop tech's didn't know what to do either... should I expect to replace them and just prep them from the get-go?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9
    Alligator rotors solved my problem, brakes are quiet now.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Yes, but the issue isn't just noise, its vibration. I think until people have experienced it, they don't quite understand this issue that seems to be specific to Specialized bikes. I can handle noise, but when its shimming badly its quite un-nerving.
    I have the same vibration on my Trek Superfly with the avids. I went ahead and swapped them for a set of XTRs to be done with the issue altogether.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpeacock View Post
    Anyone know if you can bed-in after they've been ridden for a while? I have a 2011 Rockhopper LTD 29r that came with Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors that have squealed since day one - 2 different bike shop tech's didn't know what to do either... should I expect to replace them and just prep them from the get-go?
    I had nearly 3 months of riding 4-5 times per week and I did this procedure to mine this week and it solved the problem. Just take off your rotors and hit them with some light landpaper of emory cloth. Then clean everything from rotors to pads (sand them too) to calipers thn reinstall.

    Good luck,
    SM

  35. #35
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpeacock View Post
    Anyone know if you can bed-in after they've been ridden for a while? I have a 2011 Rockhopper LTD 29r that came with Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors that have squealed since day one - 2 different bike shop tech's didn't know what to do either... should I expect to replace them and just prep them from the get-go?
    Bedding in happens when the rotors are new; you are just embedding pad material in the new rotor. Its going to happen as you ride the bike the first time, what Avid is saying is that if you don't do the initial bed-in correctly, the pad material won't be evenly distributed and it can cause noise. Think about it, if the first thing you do is ride down your street and lock them up, you are putting a bunch of pad material in one spot on the rotor instead of evenly around it. Next time you brake, this will cause unevenness on the rotor surface and cause vibration and thus noise. To do it over, you can just sand the rotors and pads down and then follow this procedure. If it doesn't work, you can try the method I used with the brake-quiet goop or go with Alligator rotors.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    49
    So question... All this speak of bedding and what not. When I purchased my current bike as well 3 others new from the LBS I was NEVER told about brake bedding or break in. In fact the only break in guidance I was provided was to ride the bike, bring it back after a month and the LBS will it out. If brake bedding is such an important step then why isn't it talked about much until their's an issue? I mean after all I'm not one to buy a bike, go home and read the manual... Even then, as I was typing I noticed my Specialized CD Owner's Manual sitting right next to the computer. Here is what I found.

    Pad BrEak-in
    It may take anywhere from 20 to 40 complete stops to break in Avid pads. You may
    begin to notice an increase in braking power after the first ride. Brake noise can
    occur not only during the break-in period but off and on throughout the life of the
    brake pads. Noise is dependent upon factors such as brake setup, rider weight,
    riding style, braking style, and riding conditions (i.e. dust, soil, moisture, and
    contamination of friction surfaces).

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    360
    If you buy a bike off n the LBS floor chances are that it has been demoed and not gone through the proper bed-in process. Maybe the LBS should be prepared to provide new pads and rotors.

  38. #38
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by kapton View Post
    I have the same vibration on my Trek Superfly with the avids. I went ahead and swapped them for a set of XTRs to be done with the issue altogether.
    Did you use the Avid rotors and brake levers or go all Shimano?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by robin640 View Post
    Once the new pads are properly BED-IN, is it okay to take them out and clean them? If so, does each pad need to go back in the same exact location it was removed from each caliper?
    Okay, just talked to my LBS and Avid is sending them a new set of rotors and pads.

    Should i try to convince my LBS to install XT rotors / new pads to fix the know brake vibration issue on the stumpy?

    Or is the issue more involved than just rotors -> calipers too???
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

  40. #40
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    I don't think you are going to convice them to do that if you haven't even allowed Avid/the shop to have a chance at fixing them. I am telling you, go with the brake quiet fix spelled out in this thread...It worked for me (but I also tossed the Avid rotors in favor of Alligators). I think that the pad-retaining spring is the source of all of these issues (possibly combined with the rotors). Print it out and take it to the shop and let the mechanic see it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  41. #41
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by robin640 View Post
    Okay, just talked to my LBS and Avid is sending them a new set of rotors and pads.

    Should i try to convince my LBS to install XT rotors / new pads to fix the know brake vibration issue on the stumpy?

    Or is the issue more involved than just rotors -> calipers too???
    That will be a hard sell if they (Avid/LBS) haven't been given a chance to fix the Avid brakes. That is like going to your Ford dealer and saying the fix for your Ford is a Chevy..and you want them to pay for it! Print this thread out and take it to the mechanic at the LBS; I am telling you, the CRC brake quiet combined with Alligator Serration rotors fixed mine 100%. I think lots of these issues are related to the brake pad retaining spring.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Just received a call from my LBS regarding the Avid brake vibration problem. The tech told me Avid has a bracket that is on back order to repair the vibration issue and they do not expect the part to come into the shop until May 16th. He also mentioned the brake rotors are also being upgraded as part of the repair.
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

  43. #43
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,733
    Does anyone know if this is a problem only on Stumpjumpers or any disc bike? It seems like all I really hear about is the Stumpy not so much Rockhoppers. I've never heard of a Giant having the shakes.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  44. #44
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Does anyone know if this is a problem only on Stumpjumpers or any disc bike? It seems like all I really hear about is the Stumpy not so much Rockhoppers. I've never heard of a Giant having the shakes.
    It's a lot of Specialized bikes at least.

  45. #45
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Do a seach..tons of info on here. Theory is the rear triangle of certain Specy's amplifies the normal vibrations you get from all brakes. Case in point, I ride with several people who are on Avid hydros and I am the only one with any noise issues (fixed now!).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    The brakes on my '11 Stumpy Comp 29er got WORSE during bed-in, like really loud, then got better after a few rides. Front brake was worse than the rear.

    They make hardly any noise at all now, but still aren't 100% silent. I'm happy at this point - the modulation and power are really, really nice. Still, I may replace the rotors if I stumble upon a good sale.

    It seems like there are a ton of different experiences, but in retrospect I would NOT have changed my purchasing decision or upgraded the brakes to XT's or whatever. Fantastic bike, and the brakes ended up being phenomenal as well.

  47. #47
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Do a seach..tons of info on here. Theory is the rear triangle of certain Specy's amplifies the normal vibrations you get from all brakes. Case in point, I ride with several people who are on Avid hydros and I am the only one with any noise issues (fixed now!).
    Only Stumpjumpers or are any other Specialzed's frames doing it? I'd rather buy a Rockhopper and upgrade than have that annoying noise.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  48. #48
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Only Stumpjumpers or are any other Specialzed's frames doing it? I'd rather buy a Rockhopper and upgrade than have that annoying noise.
    I don't think I would downgrade the frame, look, its not that big of a deal and your logic doesn't make any sense for a potential issue. I fixed mine for ~$40 with new Alligator rotors and a little brake goop. Not all of them do it, just buy the bike and if the brakes are vibrating, have the LBS work with you on fixing it. You can always point the mechanic to these threads so they can see how others have fixed it. Avid will send rotors/pads if you experience any issues, however, it didn't fix mine and I just saved myself the hassle and ordered some of the Alligator Serration rotors from Pricepoint.com and was done with it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  49. #49
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Just an update, I have been riding the crap out of my bike over the last few weeks and haven't had any noise/vibration since replacing the rotors and doing the brake goop thing. Its a miracle.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  50. #50
    The Unaffiliated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    842
    I had the same rear brake squeal on my 2010 Enduro with Elixir CR's. I tried sanding/cleaning the pads and rotors and bedding in several times. No sound during the bedding in, but the sound came back out on the trail....
    First thing I tried that cost money was replacing the stock Avid metallic pads with Ashima made SOS pads (branded as Origin8). After bedding these pads in, the Elixirs have been the best brakes I have ever used!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •