Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    CS2
    mtbr member

Stumpjumper Brake Squealing

I know the older models have been discussed at length but has anyone had a problem with the 2011 or 2012 Stumpjumpers? They both use the same brakes. I saw some nice closeouts on 2011s today. I hate to get a bike that's going to be in the shop more than the trail.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    My 2012 Stumpy Evo 29 HT has the Elixir 7s. They are loud and vibrate. I have tried it all, dealer has tired too. I am replacing the rotors with Alligators as that is a possible fix. Will see if it works. To be honest, I am used to it but it still sucks. I clean them religiously and they are quite for a bit and then as they get hot and dusty/dirty, gobbling/vibrations start. Wouldn't hesitate to buy the bike again, its worth it even if I have to dump another few hundred in it at some point for new brakes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I never had a problem with the brakes on my StumpJumper, Avid Elixir R's. Having said that, I did put new pads on the rear, went thru the bedding process, and developed a squeal. Removed the pads and rotor, scuffed'em up with some emery paper wiped everything down with alcohol and they haven't made a peep since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I have tried it all, dealer has tired too.
    What does this mean? What have you and your LBS tried? I'm only asking because I have a new less then 1 month old Stumpy (2012) that squeals like a pig and the front also vibrates at times. I also don't feel like I really get a lot of stopping power from these 7 SL's. I was thinking about just converting to organic. I know they reduce squealing and grip better. The trade off is frequent replacement. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    2011 Stumpjumper 29 Comp Aluminum.If the Avids squeal, it may be from vibrations caused by the harmonic in the stays on aluminum bikes. Avid sent a G3SS solid sweep replacement rotor. I bedded it in per their instructions and it is quiet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i replaced the rotors on my '12 enduro with shimano xt icetech rotors and virtually all brake noise is gone. if i am using them a on a long decent, then off them for a bit, when i first start using the brakes again there is a slight squeak but goes away in a few seconds. i am satisfied... oh, also helps with brake fade too.
    Juice

CS2
    mtbr member
    So, it sounds like the consensus is that Yes they still squeal. I really like Specialized but don't want to waste what little time I have wrenching. Any suggestions?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have never and I StumpJumper Avid's Elixir R brake problems. Nevertheless, I put the new pad on the back to the process of bedding, and developed a scream. Remove the sandpaper pad and rotor scuffed'em eliminate all alcohol and they did not peep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacinSeed View Post
    What does this mean? What have you and your LBS tried? I'm only asking because I have a new less then 1 month old Stumpy (2012) that squeals like a pig and the front also vibrates at times. I also don't feel like I really get a lot of stopping power from these 7 SL's. I was thinking about just converting to organic. I know they reduce squealing and grip better. The trade off is frequent replacement. Thoughts?
    The first thing we (LBS and I) did was replaced the rear rotor and pads with a new rotor (same HS1) and Avid organic pads. This was per a call to Avid. I bedded the rear in per Avid's directions and got the same result on my next ride - noise/vibration. We replaced both the front and rear pads again with Avid organics and I sanded both rotors down and re-beded them - same result. To me, they stop fine, but they shouldn't feel this way. I am going to try the Alligator Serration rotors this week f/r and see if it helps. If not, dealer is going to call Avid and we will see what they come up with. Finally, I clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol after each ride. They are fine for the first 10 mintues and then it comes back every time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    So, it sounds like the consensus is that Yes they still squeal. I really like Specialized but don't want to waste what little time I have wrenching. Any suggestions?
    You can always just have the LBS swap them for something else from day 1 and be done with it. But, not all of them do it - plenty of these bikes never make any noise so it seems to be a crap shoot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    have the 2011 SJ FSR Elite (brakes are Avid Elixir R). squeals (usually on the front brake) have been easily fixed by dragging the brake on a long descend or by making a slight adjustment to the brake alignment. also, keep in mind the front disc is relatively large so i've found it's more easily slightly bent after aggressive riding (ie, crashes) which have easily been adjusted in a couple minutes of truing. granted, after a few 'adjustments' the disc needs to be replaced usually. barring those examples, continuing squeals would be more fluke than the norm in my view ... at least with respect to this bike/brake given my experience hasn't had it. in contrast, knew a guy with a high-end Giant xc race bike that howled no matter what he did ... and he was a bike mechanic with tons of experience/knowledge that just accepted it as one of those things sometimes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    have the 2011 SJ FSR Elite (brakes are Avid Elixir R). squeals (usually on the front brake) have been easily fixed by dragging the brake on a long descend or by making a slight adjustment to the brake alignment. also, keep in mind the front disc is relatively large so i've found it's more easily slightly bent after aggressive riding (ie, crashes) which have easily been adjusted in a couple minutes of truing. granted, after a few 'adjustments' the disc needs to be replaced usually. barring those examples, continuing squeals would be more fluke than the norm in my view ... at least with respect to this bike/brake given my experience hasn't had it. in contrast, knew a guy with a high-end Giant xc race bike that howled no matter what he did ... and he was a bike mechanic with tons of experience/knowledge that just accepted it as one of those things sometimes.
    Yes, but the issue isn't just noise, its vibration. I think until people have experienced it, they don't quite understand this issue that seems to be specific to Specialized bikes. I can handle noise, but when its vib'ing badly its quite un-nerving.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 05-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Avids that came on my bike, 2012 SJ Evo HT, are crap in my opinion. I swapped mine out after having the rear brake stop working either during a race or shortly thereafter. Once I changed brakes I haven't had any noise or vibration, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the 2012 S-Works epic, bike has SRAM XX world cup breaks. They are now in a box sitting far away from my ears. From day one they squealed and vibrated to the point of embarrassment. I stripped both levers within 5 min of riding, took the bike in to lbs to find another guy with the same busted levers. I now have Shimano XTRs and my god it's like apples to oranges. I will never go back to SRAM.

The XX SRAM does look good through.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Tonytourist,

What did you switch to?? My Elixirs that came on my Carbon Comp Epic vibrate so bad that I initially thought I broke a spoke. I have sanded, cleaned, cleaned, sanded, etc. Like TiGeo, they are initially better, but within the first 10 minutes, they go right back to the same vibration. They still stop fine and I don't mind the noise, but the vibration is driving me crazy. I am seriously considering swapping them out for Simano XTRs and being done with it.

SM

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got a set of Magura MT2s, since I have had good luck with the Marta SLs on my other mtb. I was definitely thinking about the XT brakes since a friend I ride with has a set and likes them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My 1 month old 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp has a bad vibration from the rear wheel. Hope to get it looked at ASAP by my LBS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Take them brakes off and git cha som xt or xtr brakes. But jest one furm warnin' I got ta give ya:

The first time ya hit them new brakes? Yu's gunna be flyin' thru the air cause it will b the furst time ya ever had brakes on them stumpjumpers.

mtbr member
    Ive gotten rid of the turkey gobble and shutter on juicy s by using alligators I have a set coming for my elixirs also...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    Take them brakes off and git cha som xt or xtr brakes. But jest one furm warnin' I got ta give ya:

The first time ya hit them new brakes? Yu's gunna be flyin' thru the air cause it will b the furst time ya ever had brakes on them stumpjumpers.
    Now I know where the Old Coot went after he left Dirt Rag...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Ive gotten rid of the turkey gobble and shutter on juicy s by using alligators I have a set coming for my elixirs also...
    Great to hear! Mine come tomorrow and I hope they work as well for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X29 with Avid Elixir 5 brakes and had the turkey-gobble and vibration through the frame. Found the below post and followed the directions to the T except reused the stock OEM pads and lightly sanded them. Cleaned disc with brake cleaner. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions. Problem entirely went away and have since put on over 400 quiet-brake miles on the bike.

I read some of the posts by TiGeo about the brake noise/gobble on his 2012 Stumpy so when I purchased a new 2012 Stumpjumper Comp HT 29er, before I ever rode it, I did the Orange CRC Disc Brake Quiet fix on the stock OEM pads. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions and have never once had noise/gobble/vibration. Now have 150 miles on the Stumpy. My Stumpy came with Elixir 7SL brakes.

why do people still use avid brakes?

mtbr member
    Man, I am all over trying this. Will pick up some brake goo today! I like that he has a theory of why it works as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoJeff View Post
    I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X29 with Avid Elixir 5 brakes and had the turkey-gobble and vibration through the frame. Found the below post and followed the directions to the T except reused the stock OEM pads and lightly sanded them. Cleaned disc with brake cleaner. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions. Problem entirely went away and have since put on over 400 quiet-brake miles on the bike.

I read some of the posts by TiGeo about the brake noise/gobble on his 2012 Stumpy so when I purchased a new 2012 Stumpjumper Comp HT 29er, before I ever rode it, I did the Orange CRC Disc Brake Quiet fix on the stock OEM pads. Then immediately broke in the pads per Avid's instructions and have never once had noise/gobble/vibration. Now have 150 miles on the Stumpy. My Stumpy came with Elixir 7SL brakes.

why do people still use avid brakes?

What was the break in steps that you followed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    What was the break in steps that you followed?
    Avid has a procedure for breaking in their brakes - I have the sheet from Avid, just not at work with me. Here are the basics:

Get going ~12 mph and slow yourself down to nearly a stop, but don't stop! Don't lock up the brakes! Stay seated! Do this ~10 times.

Do the same thing, except get going ~20 mph, ~5 times.

Let it all cool down and don't ride it while they are still hot.

Thats basically it. Its just a method to get an even distribution of brake pad material embedded in the rotors.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast