Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoJeff View Post
    On my 2012 Stumpy Comp HT, I've had quiet brakes with the use of "Disc Brake Quiet" using the stock Elixir 7SL pads and discs.
    The one by loctite?
    2012 Specialized StumpJumper HT Comp 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No, CRC.
    See posts #22, #26 and #29 for product application.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT
    2011 Giant Anthem X2 29er
    2009 Marin Alpine Trail 29er HT

mtbr member
    That stuff works, I don't know how long it lasts since I have only used it for one ride so far but it stopped the squeal and the vibration.

Competent User
    Has anyone tried this stuff? Squeal Out.

mtbr member
    This worked for me.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Brake-Pads/...isc-Brake-pads

Thanks Michael

mtbr member
    Just reporting back on my efforts. So far I have tried combinations with the following after-market items. Incidentally I ride a 2012 FSR Carbon Comp 29er Large

1. New alligator serration rotors
    2. New organic brake pads (my existing ones were organic but worn)
    3. CRC Disc Brake Quiet
    4. Serface DBP-A4 brake pads

Before I go into detail I would like to point out that (in my opinion) one ride is not enough to make an accurate evaluation of a change to your bike. I came upon this opinion based my previous posted assertions not holding up over the long haul. With only time to ride on weekends this issue is taking forever to work through therefore at this point I still have not tried everything and want to try more.

The good news is that I have eliminated the squeal front and back with the application of 3, 4 and 1 (1 on the rear brake only). I did not like 1 for the front brake because I noticed a serious drop in stopping power when compared to my stock AVID 200mm rotor. When I switched back to the stock front rotor it appeared that 3 and 4 was all that was necessary to eliminate the squeal.

Remaining is a very nasty resonance vibration in the rear. Number 1 and 3 seems to have helped some but not entirely eliminated the problem. I added 4 to my rear caliper today and will be testing this weekend for results and will report back. If this does not stop the vibration I will attempt, as someone suggested here, strapping model airplane weights to my seat stay. Believe it or not I have these laying around .see link Great Planes GPMQ4485 Segmented Lead Weight 6 oz)
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 07-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Just reporting back on my efforts. So far I have tried combinations with the following after-market items. Incidentally I ride a 2012 FSR Carbon Comp 29er Large

1. New alligator serration rotors
    2. New organic brake pads (my existing ones were organic but worn)
    3. CRC Disc Brake Quiet
    4. Serface DBP-A4 brake pads

Before I go into detail I would like to point out that (in my opinion) one ride is not enough to make an accurate evaluation of a change to your bike. I came upon this opinion based my previous posted assertions not holding up over the long haul. With only time to ride on weekends this issue is taking forever to work through therefore at this point I still have not tried everything and want to try more.

The good news is that I have eliminated the squeal front and back with the application of 3, 4 and 1 (1 on the rear brake only). I did not like 1 for the front brake because I noticed a serious drop in stopping power when compared to my stock AVID 200mm rotor. When I switched back to the stock front rotor it appeared that 3 and 4 was all that was necessary to eliminate the squeal.

Remaining is a very nasty resonance vibration in the rear. Number 1 and 3 seems to have helped some but not entirely eliminated the problem. I added 4 to my rear caliper today and will be testing this weekend for results and will report back. If this does not stop the vibration I will attempt, as someone suggested here, strapping model airplane weights to my seat stay. Believe it or not I have these laying around .see link Great Planes GPMQ4485 Segmented Lead Weight 6 oz)
    Back from ride today with a new set of #4 on rear caliper along with 3 applied to both the spring and rear of pad. I did not experience any rear brake vibration so it appears I have successfully addressed my brake issues once and for all! However, I am going to ride again tomorrow before I say for certain. If no problems arise over the next few rides then the solution for me was rear brake 1, 3, 4. Front brake 3, 4. Ride on!

Soulforce Cycling
    I have both the squeal and the resonating brakes pretty bad - the resonating brakes shake my whole bike (six week old 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp).

I tried the CRC Disc Brake Quiet in combination with resurfacing the pads and cleaning them with alcohol and it didn't do anything for me. I ordered the brake pads recommended by mbtec1 and they are on the way.

If that doesn't work I may change out the rotors to the Alligators or even the try the Squeal Out. Having brakes that want to buck you off the bike really takes the fun out of descents.

+1 First Post
    Last edited by wARmachine15; 07-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Soulforce Cycling
    Quote Originally Posted by mbtec1 View Post
    This worked for me.

jensonusa.com/Brake-Pads/Serfas-Avid-Elixir-Disc-Brake-pads]Serfas Avid Elixir Disc Brake Pads > Components > Brakes > Brake Pads | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Thanks Michael
    Just an update: The CRC Disc Brake Quiet did not work at all for me but the brake pads mbtec1 recommended took out about about 95% of the turkey gobble and squealing (in conjuction with scrubbing the rotor with generic brake parts cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wARmachine15 View Post
    Just an update: The CRC Disc Brake Quiet did not work at all for me but the brake pads mbtec1 recommended took out about about 95% of the turkey gobble and squealing (in conjuction with scrubbing the rotor with generic brake parts cleaner.
    Can't believe I am bringing this thread back to life but I thought is important to add something. After I thought I had the rear brake issues of vibration solved I started having vibration again so I tried the lead model airplane weights. So far after 20 miles of tough riding the problem seems to be solved.

I simply wrapped about 5" of my seat stay above the rotor about midway with electrical tape then placed about a 4" strip of the weights on the tape and then taped over them with the same tape making sure to seal up the ends well so it would not hold dirt and water. Each segment of weights weighs 1/4 oz. I think I had 4 or 5 on the strip so that would be about one ounce. It was worth it not having that vibration creeping up and the brake works so much better when it's not vibrating. Here is a link to the weights I am talking about:

TowerHobbies.com | GPMGPMQ4485 GPMQ4485 Great Planes Segmented Lead Weights 6 oz

You can pick these up at you local full service hobby shop they are a fairly common item anywhere they sell R/C stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My 2011 squeeled. I changed to Kool Stop pads and lapped the rotor. All better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My LBS fixed my elixirs by replacing them with SLX's. Vibration was too much to live with.

Competent User
    I'm having great results with Squeal Out on my Camber's Eilixir 3's. As long as I keep them clean and dry, the difference is night and day. It's been a couple of weeks now, and the improvement is massive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Am I the only one that actually has rear noise and resonance with SLX M666 and Shimano RT66 rotor??

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thats a bummer so far my brakes have been good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I switched rear rotor from Shimano to old Avid that I had with BB5... strangly enough, it is as silent as ghost while braking.

New Shimano rotor + new Shimano SLX = resonance and horrible squeel
    Avid old rotor + new Shimano SLX = enjoyable silence

I must also add that rear brake is even slightly more silent than front that uses Shimano rotor (eventho front is also very silent), which is odd considering I thought Avid rotors are much louder than rest.

Anyway, I'm happy that horrible resonance is gone, and I hope it won't come back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a 2012 stumpjumper evo, the brakes squeal when they get wet. which it has been all summer here in the uk. so the brakes have been driving me crazy. Has anyone got the same bike and had the same trouble?
    i have tried new pads, new rotors. supplied by my LBS. cleaning the rotors with alcohol, sanding the rotors etc.
    any help would be great help.

mtbr member
    Lots of brakes squeal when wet, this isn't just an Avid issue. That being said, Alligator Serration rotors and organic pads (glued to the spring) may help. Other than that, time for some Shimanos.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sorry. i should say the squealing is not the usual noise you get when wet that will go off after a minute. the noise will carry on for 5 minutes or more. i have run discs for 12 years and know brakes can squeal if they get wet. this is something else!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This is a very well known issue with the 2012 - just google it - sorry to hear
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    alligator rotors and serfas rotors worked for me. the rotors heat up fast though. probably the only thing i don't like about them but its still better than the squealing.

mtbr member
    Maudib, Umm..no need to Google it...just read this freakin' thread.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Competent User
    I gave up trying to fix it, and got some SLX brakes. Night and day.

I'm done with the squealing and rubbing and the constant adjustment and the whole hassle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had squealing on my 2012 Stumpjumer FSR Comp. Had my LBS look at it and it is a known problem. I was told its an issue with the organic compound pads that come stock. They tend to absorb water, oils, etc., which results in the problem.

They replaced the stock pads with metal pads. No more problem.

Warning ... Metal pads will wear the rotors quicker. Not a big problem in FL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've spent the last few months trying to figure out the horrible vibration/foghorn noise that the rear xo trail was making on my '13 stumpy expert evo. After my buddy at the lbs got in contact with the right person at specialized we were told that if you rotate the banjo bolt where the hose goes into the caliper from along the seatstay, and point it down to run along the chainstay, it might cure it. Doing nothing more than slightly loosening the through bolt and rotating it, my bike has been rid of the turkeys completely. I haven't heard of this fix anywhere online so I thought I would share.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast