Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mike
    I've got a 2011 fsr and had no issues knock on wood

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi,
    I have a large 2011 stumpjumper fso comp with avid elixirs. They were fine up until about 30 miles of use then bad rear vibration. The mail order dealer I purchased bike from sent me new discs ( hs1) and adaptors ( new discs are slightly smaller). I fitted these and same again, ok for 10 or so miles then bad vibration, the front is also vibrating now. Iv'e spoken to avid and specialized and they said try cleaning and sanding down etc. I tried all that on the original discs, it cured noise for 10 or so miles but then comes back. I'm surprised avid or specialized have not come up with a decent fix and more info. This bike has cost me a lot of money, I never had any issues with my giant xtc 3 with mph brakes, not a peep, they had been wet, dry, covered in muck and goo and still performed well.
    I know people say fit alligator rotors or shimano brakes but I would like to get this sorted out without paying. My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look. What a complette pain. I was told specialized had good after care but not the case so far.
    Has anyone had a decent fix done under warranty ?

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a large 2011 stumpjumper fso comp with avid elixirs. They were fine up until about 30 miles of use then bad rear vibration. The mail order dealer I purchased bike from sent me new discs ( hs1) and adaptors ( new discs are slightly smaller). I fitted these and same again, ok for 10 or so miles then bad vibration, the front is also vibrating now. Iv'e spoken to avid and specialized and they said try cleaning and sanding down etc. I tried all that on the original discs, it cured noise for 10 or so miles but then comes back. I'm surprised avid or specialized have not come up with a decent fix and more info. This bike has cost me a lot of money, I never had any issues with my giant xtc 3 with mph brakes, not a peep, they had been wet, dry, covered in muck and goo and still performed well.
    I know people say fit alligator rotors or shimano brakes but I would like to get this sorted out without paying. My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look. What a complette pain. I was told specialized had good after care but not the case so far.
    I have a 2011 Camber 29er with elixers (actually have two, bought one for the wife). Just like you, after 50-75 miles both bikes got the squeel and vibration. After trying a few tricks to fix I had read online, they would still squeel. Finally took the to the LBS. LBS put in organic pads and solid rotors on the rear. This fix eliminated 90% of brake noise and 95% of vibration. 18 months later, both bikes are still quiet and stopping power and modulation are fine. The only downside is that the organic pads wear out quicker.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    I have a 2011 Camber 29er with elixers (actually have two, bought one for the wife). Just like you, after 50-75 miles both bikes got the squeel and vibration. After trying a few tricks to fix I had read online, they would still squeel. Finally took the to the LBS. LBS put in organic pads and solid rotors on the rear. This fix eliminated 90% of brake noise and 95% of vibration. 18 months later, both bikes are still quiet and stopping power and modulation are fine. The only downside is that the organic pads wear out quicker.
    I've got a 2012 Camber 29 (exactly the same as the 2011), and I've been back to the LBS 3 times, had pads and rotors replaced, and have had no change.

I've got Alligator rotors on the way, and I'm gonna get some of that brake quiet stuff, because it's worked for others here. It's really annoying. The noise isn't nearly as bad as vibration, which kind of shakes my confidence on technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I know the older models have been discussed at length but has anyone had a problem with the 2011 or 2012 Stumpjumpers? They both use the same brakes. I saw some nice closeouts on 2011s today. I hate to get a bike that's going to be in the shop more than the trail.
    I have a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR w/ Elixer 7's and these are the first elixirs I have ever owned that have vibrated and squealed. I have tried new organic pads and cleaning the rotors but no progress.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    Figure out how much money your time is worth. Once you do that, you can see if its worth all the BS to keep going back to the shop or just spend $40 on Alligators and ride. You said it in your post "What a complete pain". Yes, it sucks to spend $40 more of your hard-earned dollars, but again, your time is probably worth quite a bit more.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi,
    The mail order dealer I purchased bike from.

I would like to get this sorted out without paying.

My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look
    These problems are why this isn't a good idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    I have a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR w/ Elixer 7's and these are the first elixirs I have ever owned that have vibrated and squealed. I have tried new organic pads and cleaning the rotors but no progress.
    Again, this issue with the 7s can be solved with a set of organic pads and Alligator Serration rotors. $60 or so and you are set. You should be able to get the organic pads for free at the LBS, Avid will send them no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Again, this issue with the 7s can be solved with a set of organic pads and Alligator Serration rotors. $60 or so and you are set. You should be able to get the organic pads for free at the LBS, Avid will send them no questions asked.
    OK OK, OK, I ordered the rotors and the glue, we will see what happens. If they don't work, I will be sending you the bill....j/k

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My new 2012 SJ with Avid Elixir 7 make a little noise in the front and vibrate in the rear... I'm use to it... Maybe I need to actually do the bed in process lol..
    2012 Specialized StumpJumper HT Comp 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Smile stumpjumper fso comp 2011 brake vibration

update on brake vibration
    today I removed the new hs1 discs ( holes rather than slots) cleaned surfaces with emery paper, also cleaned pads with emery paper.
    I noticed the pad on the rear had lower contact position to the front ? about 1mm
    I put a thin washer under each mounting point on the rear caliper ( still used conical spacers)
    I also noticed the pistons on the side of the caliper closest to the wheel protrude slightly more than other side ( front and back) I pushed these back but they just went back to same position so no different there.
    I did the bed in procedure to evenly load up the disc.
    I've just been on a 15 mile wet muddy ride and the brakes are much better, there was a hint of squeal and vibration but nothing like before.
    the brake do feel grabby though almost like the pad and disc are to grippy, perhaps thats why some say organic pad is better.
    I think reason they dont make noise at first is because of slight missalignment but after bedding in they are too grippy ?
    will report back in a week or so.
    PS as for the coment about mail order, I know it's best to buy local and i have in the past but local shop only had this years model for 2300 where as iI got last years for 1500. 800 is a big saving I havn't got money to burn, my wife makes sure of that
    Thanks for replies

mtbr member
    OK OK, OK, I ordered the rotors and the glue, we will see what happens. If they don't work, I will be sending you the bill....j/k
    Received the Alligator rotors today. The 180 is OK, the 203 is warped beyond reasonable tolerance and will have to be returned for replacement

UPDATE: I trued the rotors by hand and they are spinning in the calipers without rubbing the brake pads. First time I ever tried it and it took a while but I got it!
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 06-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Competent User
    Received the Alligator rotors today. The 180 is OK, the 203 is warped beyond reasonable tolerance and will have to be returned for replacement
    My 160 was good. My 180 was a little off, and I had some rubbing as a result.

BUT, went for a ride yesterday, and it was like a whole new world. I don't think the stopping power was quite as strong, but there was no more warbling and no more vibrating, and that alone gave me a lot more confidence, and I could just concentrate on riding, instead of being pissed that my brakes, on my brand new bike, didn't work correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    My 160 was good. My 180 was a little off, and I had some rubbing as a result.

BUT, went for a ride yesterday, and it was like a whole new world. I don't think the stopping power was quite as strong, but there was no more warbling and no more vibrating, and that alone gave me a lot more confidence, and I could just concentrate on riding, instead of being pissed that my brakes, on my brand new bike, didn't work correctly.
    UPDATE: I trued the rotors by hand and they are spinning in the calipers without rubbing the brake pads. First time I ever tried to true a rotor and it took a while but I got it!

I am on my way to ride, will report back when I return

mtbr member
    Another satisfied Alligator rotor customer! They work..period.

mtbr member
    Back from ride. Neither brake squealed. Front brake did not vibrate however the rear brake started vibrating about 30 minutes into the ride. When I got home the "disc brake quiet" was in my mailbox. I will apply that to the rear brake and try again tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Which type of alligator rotors are yall running? Pricepoint has 6 different kinds...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Which type of alligator rotors are yall running? Pricepoint has 6 different kinds...

This one:

New ALLIGATOR Coated Disc Brake Rotor,WIND CUTTER,180mm,113g | eBay

mtbr member
    Back from second ride. The "Disc Brake Quiet" worked on the rear brake and it is no longer vibrating!!!! The front brake started with a very small squeal so I am going to put the disc brake quiet glue on it and I am sure it will take care of it. So all is well for now

mtbr member
    The ones called "Serration".

mtbr member
    OK Ive been doing a little experimenting with alligator rotors and they quiet things down a bit BUT the combo of alligator and brake glue and size of rotor seem to be the best fix
    Experiment #1
    Kept the stock pads that were making so much noise cleaned with Alcohol and a good sanding changed to Alligator rotors with the stock sizes 200 up front 180 in rear they were quiet after bed in but it didn't take more than a couple of long downhills to get the noisy again But not as noisy as the Avid rotors. So experiment #1 rotors only Fail
    Experiment #2
    Downsized rotors to alligator 180 front 160 rear but on the rear I glued the pads and spring together with epoxy used the same pads as above just cleaned with alcohol... Results after some long downhills Rear brake is silent Front brake is still noisy But about 1/2 what it was with the 200 alligator rotor.
    Experiment #3
    So I picked up Brake quiet glue today and will glue my front pads tonight and light them up on some good downhills in the next few days and get back.... but it seems like just switching
    to the serrated rotors helps but it seems that the combo of glue and rotor is the ticket I will know for sure in a couple of day, also I will throw on a avid rotor with glued pads to see if just the glue is the fix?
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    I will throw on a avid rotor with glued pads to see if just the glue is the fix?[/B][/QUOTE]

I did the Alligator rotors first and then the glue and was wondering the same thing!

Competent User
    I went with Serration.

Still haven't done the Brake Quiet, but soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    On my 2012 Stumpy Comp HT, I've had quiet brakes with the use of "Disc Brake Quiet" using the stock Elixir 7SL pads and discs.
    2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT
    2011 Giant Anthem X2 29er
    2009 Marin Alpine Trail 29er HT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast