Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    What was the break in steps that you followed?
    Per Avid's Elixir 9, 7, 5 and Code, Code R User Manual:

PAD BED-IN
    To safely achieve optimal results, remain seated on the bike during the entire bed-in procedure. Accelerate the bike to a moderate speed, then firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty times. Next, accelerate the bike to a faster speed. Then very firmly and suddenly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately ten times.
    Important: do not lock up the wheels at any point during the bed-in procedure.
    Allow the brakes to cool prior to any additional riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Once the new pads are properly BED-IN, is it okay to take them out and clean them? If so, does each pad need to go back in the same exact location it was removed from each caliper?
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Per the 2010 Avid Technical Manual>

1. Accelerate the bike to a moderate speed
    (approximately 19 kilometers or 12 miles per
    hour), then firmly apply the brakes until you are
    at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty
    times.
    2. Accelerate the bike to a faster speed
    (approximately 32 kilometers or 20 miles per
    hour). Then very firmly and suddenly apply the
    brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat
    approximately ten times.
    important: do not lock up the wheels at any point
    during the bed-in procedure.
    3. Allow the brakes to cool prior to any additional
    riding.

This worked for me after installing a solid sweep G3SS and new pads from Avid on my 2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT rear.. No more hellish noise.

Remember to keep your rotors clean with isopropyl alcohol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    A little bit more info on my application:

I applied a THIN coat of the CRC Disc Brake Quiet using a tooth pick. Was very careful about only applying the goo to the pad surface that backs up to the metal spring-clip. Think of it as you are gluing the spring-clip to the pad. No goo on anywhere else. Following BigHit-Maniac's instructions, I also applied goo to the eyelet of the pads. NO goo on backing of pads.

The goo sets up and the spring-clip and 2 pads stay glued together as a unit. After 400 goo-installed miles, when my pads were due for replacement, the spring and pads were still stuck together but they easily separated as the goo never fully hardens. So the spring-clip and 2 pads acted more like one part and maybe this is the key, no spring-clip resonance when you brake. thanks BHM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MotoJeff; 04-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dude. Seriously, they are quiet now! I replaced the rotors with Alligator Serrations front and rear from Pricepoint, followed the procedure that MotorJeff recommended, and then bedded the pads in. BAM! They are silent. Before, during the bed-in, they would start to vibrate and get noisy..now silence. YES!!!!!! I am excited to ride Thursday and put them to true test. THANKS FOR THE INFO!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone know if you can bed-in after they've been ridden for a while? I have a 2011 Rockhopper LTD 29r that came with Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors that have squealed since day one - 2 different bike shop tech's didn't know what to do either... should I expect to replace them and just prep them from the get-go?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Alligator rotors solved my problem, brakes are quiet now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Yes, but the issue isn't just noise, its vibration. I think until people have experienced it, they don't quite understand this issue that seems to be specific to Specialized bikes. I can handle noise, but when its shimming badly its quite un-nerving.
    I have the same vibration on my Trek Superfly with the avids. I went ahead and swapped them for a set of XTRs to be done with the issue altogether.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpeacock View Post
    Anyone know if you can bed-in after they've been ridden for a while? I have a 2011 Rockhopper LTD 29r that came with Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors that have squealed since day one - 2 different bike shop tech's didn't know what to do either... should I expect to replace them and just prep them from the get-go?
    I had nearly 3 months of riding 4-5 times per week and I did this procedure to mine this week and it solved the problem. Just take off your rotors and hit them with some light landpaper of emory cloth. Then clean everything from rotors to pads (sand them too) to calipers thn reinstall.

Good luck,
    SM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpeacock View Post
    Bedding in happens when the rotors are new; you are just embedding pad material in the new rotor. Its going to happen as you ride the bike the first time, what Avid is saying is that if you don't do the initial bed-in correctly, the pad material won't be evenly distributed and it can cause noise. Think about it, if the first thing you do is ride down your street and lock them up, you are putting a bunch of pad material in one spot on the rotor instead of evenly around it. Next time you brake, this will cause unevenness on the rotor surface and cause vibration and thus noise. To do it over, you can just sand the rotors and pads down and then follow this procedure. If it doesn't work, you can try the method I used with the brake-quiet goop or go with Alligator rotors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So question... All this speak of bedding and what not. When I purchased my current bike as well 3 others new from the LBS I was NEVER told about brake bedding or break in. In fact the only break in guidance I was provided was to ride the bike, bring it back after a month and the LBS will it out. If brake bedding is such an important step then why isn't it talked about much until their's an issue? I mean after all I'm not one to buy a bike, go home and read the manual... Even then, as I was typing I noticed my Specialized CD Owner's Manual sitting right next to the computer. Here is what I found.

Pad BrEak-in
    It may take anywhere from 20 to 40 complete stops to break in Avid pads. You may
    begin to notice an increase in braking power after the first ride. Brake noise can
    occur not only during the break-in period but off and on throughout the life of the
    brake pads. Noise is dependent upon factors such as brake setup, rider weight,
    riding style, braking style, and riding conditions (i.e. dust, soil, moisture, and
    contamination of friction surfaces).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you buy a bike off n the LBS floor chances are that it has been demoed and not gone through the proper bed-in process. Maybe the LBS should be prepared to provide new pads and rotors.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapton View Post
    I have the same vibration on my Trek Superfly with the avids. I went ahead and swapped them for a set of XTRs to be done with the issue altogether.
    Did you use the Avid rotors and brake levers or go all Shimano?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robin640 View Post
    Once the new pads are properly BED-IN, is it okay to take them out and clean them? If so, does each pad need to go back in the same exact location it was removed from each caliper?
    Okay, just talked to my LBS and Avid is sending them a new set of rotors and pads.

Should i try to convince my LBS to install XT rotors / new pads to fix the know brake vibration issue on the stumpy?

Or is the issue more involved than just rotors -> calipers too???

mtbr member
    I don't think you are going to convice them to do that if you haven't even allowed Avid/the shop to have a chance at fixing them. I am telling you, go with the brake quiet fix spelled out in this thread...It worked for me (but I also tossed the Avid rotors in favor of Alligators). I think that the pad-retaining spring is the source of all of these issues (possibly combined with the rotors). Print it out and take it to the shop and let the mechanic see it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robin640 View Post
    Okay, just talked to my LBS and Avid is sending them a new set of rotors and pads.

Should i try to convince my LBS to install XT rotors / new pads to fix the know brake vibration issue on the stumpy?

Or is the issue more involved than just rotors -> calipers too???
    That will be a hard sell if they (Avid/LBS) haven't been given a chance to fix the Avid brakes. That is like going to your Ford dealer and saying the fix for your Ford is a Chevy..and you want them to pay for it! Print this thread out and take it to the mechanic at the LBS; I am telling you, the CRC brake quiet combined with Alligator Serration rotors fixed mine 100%. I think lots of these issues are related to the brake pad retaining spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just received a call from my LBS regarding the Avid brake vibration problem. The tech told me Avid has a bracket that is on back order to repair the vibration issue and they do not expect the part to come into the shop until May 16th. He also mentioned the brake rotors are also being upgraded as part of the repair.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Does anyone know if this is a problem only on Stumpjumpers or any disc bike? It seems like all I really hear about is the Stumpy not so much Rockhoppers. I've never heard of a Giant having the shakes.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Does anyone know if this is a problem only on Stumpjumpers or any disc bike? It seems like all I really hear about is the Stumpy not so much Rockhoppers. I've never heard of a Giant having the shakes.
    It's a lot of Specialized bikes at least.

mtbr member
    Do a seach..tons of info on here. Theory is the rear triangle of certain Specy's amplifies the normal vibrations you get from all brakes. Case in point, I ride with several people who are on Avid hydros and I am the only one with any noise issues (fixed now!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The brakes on my '11 Stumpy Comp 29er got WORSE during bed-in, like really loud, then got better after a few rides. Front brake was worse than the rear.

They make hardly any noise at all now, but still aren't 100% silent. I'm happy at this point - the modulation and power are really, really nice. Still, I may replace the rotors if I stumble upon a good sale.

It seems like there are a ton of different experiences, but in retrospect I would NOT have changed my purchasing decision or upgraded the brakes to XT's or whatever. Fantastic bike, and the brakes ended up being phenomenal as well.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Do a seach..tons of info on here. Theory is the rear triangle of certain Specy's amplifies the normal vibrations you get from all brakes. Case in point, I ride with several people who are on Avid hydros and I am the only one with any noise issues (fixed now!).
    Only Stumpjumpers or are any other Specialzed's frames doing it? I'd rather buy a Rockhopper and upgrade than have that annoying noise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Only Stumpjumpers or are any other Specialzed's frames doing it? I'd rather buy a Rockhopper and upgrade than have that annoying noise.
    I don't think I would downgrade the frame, look, its not that big of a deal and your logic doesn't make any sense for a potential issue. I fixed mine for ~$40 with new Alligator rotors and a little brake goop. Not all of them do it, just buy the bike and if the brakes are vibrating, have the LBS work with you on fixing it. You can always point the mechanic to these threads so they can see how others have fixed it. Avid will send rotors/pads if you experience any issues, however, it didn't fix mine and I just saved myself the hassle and ordered some of the Alligator Serration rotors from Pricepoint.com and was done with it.

mtbr member
    Just an update, I have been riding the crap out of my bike over the last few weeks and haven't had any noise/vibration since replacing the rotors and doing the brake goop thing. Its a miracle.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I had the same rear brake squeal on my 2010 Enduro with Elixir CR's. I tried sanding/cleaning the pads and rotors and bedding in several times. No sound during the bedding in, but the sound came back out on the trail....
    First thing I tried that cost money was replacing the stock Avid metallic pads with Ashima made SOS pads (branded as Origin8). After bedding these pads in, the Elixirs have been the best brakes I have ever used!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast