Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 104
  1. #51
    mike
    Reputation: bushwacker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    122
    I've got a 2011 fsr and had no issues knock on wood

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Hi,
    I have a large 2011 stumpjumper fso comp with avid elixirs. They were fine up until about 30 miles of use then bad rear vibration. The mail order dealer I purchased bike from sent me new discs ( hs1) and adaptors ( new discs are slightly smaller). I fitted these and same again, ok for 10 or so miles then bad vibration, the front is also vibrating now. Iv'e spoken to avid and specialized and they said try cleaning and sanding down etc. I tried all that on the original discs, it cured noise for 10 or so miles but then comes back. I'm surprised avid or specialized have not come up with a decent fix and more info. This bike has cost me a lot of money, I never had any issues with my giant xtc 3 with mph brakes, not a peep, they had been wet, dry, covered in muck and goo and still performed well.
    I know people say fit alligator rotors or shimano brakes but I would like to get this sorted out without paying. My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look. What a complette pain. I was told specialized had good after care but not the case so far.
    Has anyone had a decent fix done under warranty ?

  3. #53
    JRA
    Reputation: BigRuckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a large 2011 stumpjumper fso comp with avid elixirs. They were fine up until about 30 miles of use then bad rear vibration. The mail order dealer I purchased bike from sent me new discs ( hs1) and adaptors ( new discs are slightly smaller). I fitted these and same again, ok for 10 or so miles then bad vibration, the front is also vibrating now. Iv'e spoken to avid and specialized and they said try cleaning and sanding down etc. I tried all that on the original discs, it cured noise for 10 or so miles but then comes back. I'm surprised avid or specialized have not come up with a decent fix and more info. This bike has cost me a lot of money, I never had any issues with my giant xtc 3 with mph brakes, not a peep, they had been wet, dry, covered in muck and goo and still performed well.
    I know people say fit alligator rotors or shimano brakes but I would like to get this sorted out without paying. My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look. What a complette pain. I was told specialized had good after care but not the case so far.
    Has anyone had a decent fix done under warranty ?
    I have a 2011 Camber 29er with elixers (actually have two, bought one for the wife). Just like you, after 50-75 miles both bikes got the squeel and vibration. After trying a few tricks to fix I had read online, they would still squeel. Finally took the to the LBS. LBS put in organic pads and solid rotors on the rear. This fix eliminated 90% of brake noise and 95% of vibration. 18 months later, both bikes are still quiet and stopping power and modulation are fine. The only downside is that the organic pads wear out quicker.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

  4. #54
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    I have a 2011 Camber 29er with elixers (actually have two, bought one for the wife). Just like you, after 50-75 miles both bikes got the squeel and vibration. After trying a few tricks to fix I had read online, they would still squeel. Finally took the to the LBS. LBS put in organic pads and solid rotors on the rear. This fix eliminated 90% of brake noise and 95% of vibration. 18 months later, both bikes are still quiet and stopping power and modulation are fine. The only downside is that the organic pads wear out quicker.
    I've got a 2012 Camber 29 (exactly the same as the 2011), and I've been back to the LBS 3 times, had pads and rotors replaced, and have had no change.

    I've got Alligator rotors on the way, and I'm gonna get some of that brake quiet stuff, because it's worked for others here. It's really annoying. The noise isn't nearly as bad as vibration, which kind of shakes my confidence on technical stuff.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    356

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I know the older models have been discussed at length but has anyone had a problem with the 2011 or 2012 Stumpjumpers? They both use the same brakes. I saw some nice closeouts on 2011s today. I hate to get a bike that's going to be in the shop more than the trail.
    I have a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR w/ Elixer 7's and these are the first elixirs I have ever owned that have vibrated and squealed. I have tried new organic pads and cleaning the rotors but no progress.

  7. #57
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a large 2011 stumpjumper fso comp with avid elixirs. They were fine up until about 30 miles of use then bad rear vibration. The mail order dealer I purchased bike from sent me new discs ( hs1) and adaptors ( new discs are slightly smaller). I fitted these and same again, ok for 10 or so miles then bad vibration, the front is also vibrating now. Iv'e spoken to avid and specialized and they said try cleaning and sanding down etc. I tried all that on the original discs, it cured noise for 10 or so miles but then comes back. I'm surprised avid or specialized have not come up with a decent fix and more info. This bike has cost me a lot of money, I never had any issues with my giant xtc 3 with mph brakes, not a peep, they had been wet, dry, covered in muck and goo and still performed well.
    I know people say fit alligator rotors or shimano brakes but I would like to get this sorted out without paying. My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look. What a complette pain. I was told specialized had good after care but not the case so far.
    Has anyone had a decent fix done under warranty ?
    Figure out how much money your time is worth. Once you do that, you can see if its worth all the BS to keep going back to the shop or just spend $40 on Alligators and ride. You said it in your post "What a complete pain". Yes, it sucks to spend $40 more of your hard-earned dollars, but again, your time is probably worth quite a bit more.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
    Hi,
    The mail order dealer I purchased bike from.

    I would like to get this sorted out without paying.

    My next option is to take bike to a local specialized dealer and let them take a look
    These problems are why this isn't a good idea.

  9. #59
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    I have a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR w/ Elixer 7's and these are the first elixirs I have ever owned that have vibrated and squealed. I have tried new organic pads and cleaning the rotors but no progress.
    Again, this issue with the 7s can be solved with a set of organic pads and Alligator Serration rotors. $60 or so and you are set. You should be able to get the organic pads for free at the LBS, Avid will send them no questions asked.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Again, this issue with the 7s can be solved with a set of organic pads and Alligator Serration rotors. $60 or so and you are set. You should be able to get the organic pads for free at the LBS, Avid will send them no questions asked.
    OK OK, OK, I ordered the rotors and the glue, we will see what happens. If they don't work, I will be sending you the bill....j/k

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    99
    My new 2012 SJ with Avid Elixir 7 make a little noise in the front and vibrate in the rear... I'm use to it... Maybe I need to actually do the bed in process lol..
    2012 Specialized StumpJumper HT Comp 29

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2

    Smile stumpjumper fso comp 2011 brake vibration

    update on brake vibration
    today I removed the new hs1 discs ( holes rather than slots) cleaned surfaces with emery paper, also cleaned pads with emery paper.
    I noticed the pad on the rear had lower contact position to the front ? about 1mm
    I put a thin washer under each mounting point on the rear caliper ( still used conical spacers)
    I also noticed the pistons on the side of the caliper closest to the wheel protrude slightly more than other side ( front and back) I pushed these back but they just went back to same position so no different there.
    I did the bed in procedure to evenly load up the disc.
    I've just been on a 15 mile wet muddy ride and the brakes are much better, there was a hint of squeal and vibration but nothing like before.
    the brake do feel grabby though almost like the pad and disc are to grippy, perhaps thats why some say organic pad is better.
    I think reason they dont make noise at first is because of slight missalignment but after bedding in they are too grippy ?
    will report back in a week or so.
    PS as for the coment about mail order, I know it's best to buy local and i have in the past but local shop only had this years model for £2300 where as iI got last years for £1500. £800 is a big saving I havn't got money to burn, my wife makes sure of that
    Thanks for replies

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    OK OK, OK, I ordered the rotors and the glue, we will see what happens. If they don't work, I will be sending you the bill....j/k
    Received the Alligator rotors today. The 180 is OK, the 203 is warped beyond reasonable tolerance and will have to be returned for replacement

    UPDATE: I trued the rotors by hand and they are spinning in the calipers without rubbing the brake pads. First time I ever tried it and it took a while but I got it!
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 06-16-2012 at 10:22 AM.

  14. #64
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Received the Alligator rotors today. The 180 is OK, the 203 is warped beyond reasonable tolerance and will have to be returned for replacement
    My 160 was good. My 180 was a little off, and I had some rubbing as a result.

    BUT, went for a ride yesterday, and it was like a whole new world. I don't think the stopping power was quite as strong, but there was no more warbling and no more vibrating, and that alone gave me a lot more confidence, and I could just concentrate on riding, instead of being pissed that my brakes, on my brand new bike, didn't work correctly.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    My 160 was good. My 180 was a little off, and I had some rubbing as a result.

    BUT, went for a ride yesterday, and it was like a whole new world. I don't think the stopping power was quite as strong, but there was no more warbling and no more vibrating, and that alone gave me a lot more confidence, and I could just concentrate on riding, instead of being pissed that my brakes, on my brand new bike, didn't work correctly.
    UPDATE: I trued the rotors by hand and they are spinning in the calipers without rubbing the brake pads. First time I ever tried to true a rotor and it took a while but I got it!

    I am on my way to ride, will report back when I return

  16. #66
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Another satisfied Alligator rotor customer! They work..period.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Back from ride. Neither brake squealed. Front brake did not vibrate however the rear brake started vibrating about 30 minutes into the ride. When I got home the "disc brake quiet" was in my mailbox. I will apply that to the rear brake and try again tomorrow.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68
    Which type of alligator rotors are yall running? Pricepoint has 6 different kinds...

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Which type of alligator rotors are yall running? Pricepoint has 6 different kinds...

    This one:

    New ALLIGATOR Coated Disc Brake Rotor,WIND CUTTER,180mm,113g | eBay

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Back from second ride. The "Disc Brake Quiet" worked on the rear brake and it is no longer vibrating!!!! The front brake started with a very small squeal so I am going to put the disc brake quiet glue on it and I am sure it will take care of it. So all is well for now

  21. #71
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Which type of alligator rotors are yall running? Pricepoint has 6 different kinds...
    The ones called "Serration".
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    OK Ive been doing a little experimenting with alligator rotors and they quiet things down a bit BUT the combo of alligator and brake glue and size of rotor seem to be the best fix
    Experiment #1
    Kept the stock pads that were making so much noise cleaned with Alcohol and a good sanding changed to Alligator rotors with the stock sizes 200 up front 180 in rear they were quiet after bed in but it didn't take more than a couple of long downhills to get the noisy again But not as noisy as the Avid rotors. So experiment #1 rotors only Fail
    Experiment #2
    Downsized rotors to alligator 180 front 160 rear but on the rear I glued the pads and spring together with epoxy used the same pads as above just cleaned with alcohol... Results after some long downhills Rear brake is silent Front brake is still noisy But about 1/2 what it was with the 200 alligator rotor.
    Experiment #3
    So I picked up Brake quiet glue today and will glue my front pads tonight and light them up on some good downhills in the next few days and get back.... but it seems like just switching
    to the serrated rotors helps but it seems that the combo of glue and rotor is the ticket I will know for sure in a couple of day, also I will throw on a avid rotor with glued pads to see if just the glue is the fix?
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    I will throw on a avid rotor with glued pads to see if just the glue is the fix?[/B][/QUOTE]

    I did the Alligator rotors first and then the glue and was wondering the same thing!

  24. #74
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Which type of alligator rotors are yall running? Pricepoint has 6 different kinds...
    I went with Serration.

    Still haven't done the Brake Quiet, but soon.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    On my 2012 Stumpy Comp HT, I've had quiet brakes with the use of "Disc Brake Quiet" using the stock Elixir 7SL pads and discs.
    2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT
    2011 Giant Anthem X2 29er
    2009 Marin Alpine Trail 29er HT

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoJeff View Post
    On my 2012 Stumpy Comp HT, I've had quiet brakes with the use of "Disc Brake Quiet" using the stock Elixir 7SL pads and discs.
    The one by loctite?
    2012 Specialized StumpJumper HT Comp 29

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    No, CRC.
    See posts #22, #26 and #29 for product application.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT
    2011 Giant Anthem X2 29er
    2009 Marin Alpine Trail 29er HT

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    That stuff works, I don't know how long it lasts since I have only used it for one ride so far but it stopped the squeal and the vibration.

  29. #79
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    Has anyone tried this stuff? Squeal Out.

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mbtec1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    128
    This worked for me.

    http://www.jensonusa.com/Brake-Pads/...isc-Brake-pads


    Thanks Michael

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Just reporting back on my efforts. So far I have tried combinations with the following after-market items. Incidentally I ride a 2012 FSR Carbon Comp 29er Large

    1. New alligator serration rotors
    2. New organic brake pads (my existing ones were organic but worn)
    3. CRC Disc Brake Quiet
    4. Serface DBP-A4 brake pads

    Before I go into detail I would like to point out that (in my opinion) one ride is not enough to make an accurate evaluation of a change to your bike. I came upon this opinion based my previous posted assertions not holding up over the long haul. With only time to ride on weekends this issue is taking forever to work through therefore at this point I still have not tried everything and want to try more.

    The good news is that I have eliminated the squeal front and back with the application of 3, 4 and 1 (1 on the rear brake only). I did not like 1 for the front brake because I noticed a serious drop in stopping power when compared to my stock AVID 200mm rotor. When I switched back to the stock front rotor it appeared that 3 and 4 was all that was necessary to eliminate the squeal.

    Remaining is a very nasty resonance vibration in the rear. Number 1 and 3 seems to have helped some but not entirely eliminated the problem. I added 4 to my rear caliper today and will be testing this weekend for results and will report back. If this does not stop the vibration I will attempt, as someone suggested here, strapping model airplane weights to my seat stay. Believe it or not I have these laying around ….see link Great Planes GPMQ4485 Segmented Lead Weight 6 oz)
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 07-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Just reporting back on my efforts. So far I have tried combinations with the following after-market items. Incidentally I ride a 2012 FSR Carbon Comp 29er Large

    1. New alligator serration rotors
    2. New organic brake pads (my existing ones were organic but worn)
    3. CRC Disc Brake Quiet
    4. Serface DBP-A4 brake pads

    Before I go into detail I would like to point out that (in my opinion) one ride is not enough to make an accurate evaluation of a change to your bike. I came upon this opinion based my previous posted assertions not holding up over the long haul. With only time to ride on weekends this issue is taking forever to work through therefore at this point I still have not tried everything and want to try more.

    The good news is that I have eliminated the squeal front and back with the application of 3, 4 and 1 (1 on the rear brake only). I did not like 1 for the front brake because I noticed a serious drop in stopping power when compared to my stock AVID 200mm rotor. When I switched back to the stock front rotor it appeared that 3 and 4 was all that was necessary to eliminate the squeal.

    Remaining is a very nasty resonance vibration in the rear. Number 1 and 3 seems to have helped some but not entirely eliminated the problem. I added 4 to my rear caliper today and will be testing this weekend for results and will report back. If this does not stop the vibration I will attempt, as someone suggested here, strapping model airplane weights to my seat stay. Believe it or not I have these laying around ….see link Great Planes GPMQ4485 Segmented Lead Weight 6 oz)
    Back from ride today with a new set of #4 on rear caliper along with 3 applied to both the spring and rear of pad. I did not experience any rear brake vibration so it appears I have successfully addressed my brake issues once and for all! However, I am going to ride again tomorrow before I say for certain. If no problems arise over the next few rides then the solution for me was rear brake 1, 3, 4. Front brake 3, 4. Ride on!

  33. #83
    Soulforce Cycling
    Reputation: wARmachine15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    55
    I have both the squeal and the resonating brakes pretty bad - the resonating brakes shake my whole bike (six week old 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp).

    I tried the CRC Disc Brake Quiet in combination with resurfacing the pads and cleaning them with alcohol and it didn't do anything for me. I ordered the brake pads recommended by mbtec1 and they are on the way.

    If that doesn't work I may change out the rotors to the Alligators or even the try the Squeal Out. Having brakes that want to buck you off the bike really takes the fun out of descents.

    +1 First Post
    Last edited by wARmachine15; 07-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

  34. #84
    Soulforce Cycling
    Reputation: wARmachine15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by mbtec1 View Post
    This worked for me.

    jensonusa.com/Brake-Pads/Serfas-Avid-Elixir-Disc-Brake-pads]Serfas Avid Elixir Disc Brake Pads > Components > Brakes > Brake Pads | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop


    Thanks Michael
    Just an update: The CRC Disc Brake Quiet did not work at all for me but the brake pads mbtec1 recommended took out about about 95% of the turkey gobble and squealing (in conjuction with scrubbing the rotor with generic brake parts cleaner.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpjumper61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by wARmachine15 View Post
    Just an update: The CRC Disc Brake Quiet did not work at all for me but the brake pads mbtec1 recommended took out about about 95% of the turkey gobble and squealing (in conjuction with scrubbing the rotor with generic brake parts cleaner.
    Can't believe I am bringing this thread back to life but I thought is important to add something. After I thought I had the rear brake issues of vibration solved I started having vibration again so I tried the lead model airplane weights. So far after 20 miles of tough riding the problem seems to be solved.

    I simply wrapped about 5" of my seat stay above the rotor about midway with electrical tape then placed about a 4" strip of the weights on the tape and then taped over them with the same tape making sure to seal up the ends well so it would not hold dirt and water. Each segment of weights weighs 1/4 oz. I think I had 4 or 5 on the strip so that would be about one ounce. It was worth it not having that vibration creeping up and the brake works so much better when it's not vibrating. Here is a link to the weights I am talking about:

    TowerHobbies.com | GPMGPMQ4485 GPMQ4485 Great Planes Segmented Lead Weights 6 oz

    You can pick these up at you local full service hobby shop they are a fairly common item anywhere they sell R/C stuff

  36. #86
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,888
    My 2011 squeeled. I changed to Kool Stop pads and lapped the rotor. All better.

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    98
    My LBS fixed my elixirs by replacing them with SLX's. Vibration was too much to live with.

  38. #88
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    I'm having great results with Squeal Out on my Camber's Eilixir 3's. As long as I keep them clean and dry, the difference is night and day. It's been a couple of weeks now, and the improvement is massive.

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    71
    Am I the only one that actually has rear noise and resonance with SLX M666 and Shimano RT66 rotor??

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thats a bummer so far my brakes have been good.

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    71
    I switched rear rotor from Shimano to old Avid that I had with BB5... strangly enough, it is as silent as ghost while braking.

    New Shimano rotor + new Shimano SLX = resonance and horrible squeel
    Avid old rotor + new Shimano SLX = enjoyable silence

    I must also add that rear brake is even slightly more silent than front that uses Shimano rotor (eventho front is also very silent), which is odd considering I thought Avid rotors are much louder than rest.

    Anyway, I'm happy that horrible resonance is gone, and I hope it won't come back.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    I have a 2012 stumpjumper evo, the brakes squeal when they get wet. which it has been all summer here in the uk. so the brakes have been driving me crazy. Has anyone got the same bike and had the same trouble?
    i have tried new pads, new rotors. supplied by my LBS. cleaning the rotors with alcohol, sanding the rotors etc.
    any help would be great help.

  43. #93
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Lots of brakes squeal when wet, this isn't just an Avid issue. That being said, Alligator Serration rotors and organic pads (glued to the spring) may help. Other than that, time for some Shimanos.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Sorry. i should say the squealing is not the usual noise you get when wet that will go off after a minute. the noise will carry on for 5 minutes or more. i have run discs for 12 years and know brakes can squeal if they get wet. this is something else!

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    This is a very well known issue with the 2012 - just google it - sorry to hear
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    alligator rotors and serfas rotors worked for me. the rotors heat up fast though. probably the only thing i don't like about them but its still better than the squealing.

  47. #97
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Maudib, Umm..no need to Google it...just read this freakin' thread.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  48. #98
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612
    I gave up trying to fix it, and got some SLX brakes. Night and day.

    I'm done with the squealing and rubbing and the constant adjustment and the whole hassle.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    I had squealing on my 2012 Stumpjumer FSR Comp. Had my LBS look at it and it is a known problem. I was told its an issue with the organic compound pads that come stock. They tend to absorb water, oils, etc., which results in the problem.

    They replaced the stock pads with metal pads. No more problem.

    Warning ... Metal pads will wear the rotors quicker. Not a big problem in FL.

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    I've spent the last few months trying to figure out the horrible vibration/foghorn noise that the rear xo trail was making on my '13 stumpy expert evo. After my buddy at the lbs got in contact with the right person at specialized we were told that if you rotate the banjo bolt where the hose goes into the caliper from along the seatstay, and point it down to run along the chainstay, it might cure it. Doing nothing more than slightly loosening the through bolt and rotating it, my bike has been rid of the turkeys completely. I haven't heard of this fix anywhere online so I thought I would share.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •