Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpjumper 29'er wheel problem resolved

708 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lginzkey 
#1 ·
I posted last week that my year-old Stumpjumper "Expert" 29'er had a serious problem with the spokes and nipples breaking on the DT Swiss "520SL" wheels that came with the bike, and asked for feedback. Thanks to all who responded with comments and advice. Even more thanks to the staff at Bike Source, who went to bat for me, and to Specialized, who agreed to replace my wheelset with an upgrade - their Roval "Control el 29's." I picked up the new wheels yesterday and look forward to giving them a workout.

#3 · (Edited)
Wheel choice

I wonder the same thing. The "Expert" is a good bike, and generally is well spec'd, with a Fox 29RL fork, Fox Specialized Future Shock, SRAM X.0 drivetrain and Avid Elixir CRSL brakes. I was not familiar with the DT Swiss "520SL" wheels, but the salesman assured me they were the equivalent of the Mavic 717's I had on my Ellsworth "Truth" -- which held up well over 5 seasons. I wasn't overly worried, as a couple of buddies have DT Swiss hoops (but not the 520's) on their Yeti's, and are quite happy with them. But I started having nipple and spoke failures within a couple of months, and recently would have one or two break on almost every ride. I knew something wasn't right. Hopefully, the new set of wheels will be up to the challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.