Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Other Dude

Stumpjumper 29er Single Speed

Anyone have one yet? I know i have seen a few around? My frame is coming in the end of this week and I was just wondering if anyone had any build tips or thoughts on the new EBB?

I ordered the Stumpy SS frame, and my buddy ordered a Scandium Niner SS frame, i have heard the Specialized EBB is much more trouble free than the current Niner offering, and that it is also lighter. Any thoughts/Tips on the build/bike?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Anyone have one yet? I know i have seen a few around? My frame is coming in the end of this week and I was just wondering if anyone had any build tips or thoughts on the new EBB?

I ordered the Stumpy SS frame, and my buddy ordered a Scandium Niner SS frame, i have heard the Specialized EBB is much more trouble free than the current Niner offering, and that it is also lighter. Any thoughts/Tips on the build/bike?
    I doubt the EBB is lighter than the Niner, but pinch bolt EBB's will probably always be more trouble free.

How long until you get it, and ride it, and post pretty pictures?

The Other Dude
    I am hoping it will be in on Tuesday/Wednesday. At the Specialized Dealer event, they said their EBB is the lightest EBB currently on the Market, but I might have missed it if they gave a weight as i wasent too interested in the single speeds at the time. I will get some weights before i build it all up. My build isnt going to be a weight weenie build or anything like that, just pretty standard, i have a nice Tora 29er fork that i plan on using until i find an 07-08 Reba 29 at a good price.

I am going back and forth on the cranks, i have a set of truvativ 175mm cranks (i run 175mm's on all my mtbs) but i hear that it is pretty common to go 5mm longer on single speed cranks, so am on the fence about that.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would love to hear the weights. Weigh the EBB insert by itself if you get a chance, and also the whole frame.

I bet you will like it.

As far as the cranks go, if you already have 175's, I would just run those for a while. You can always change your mind later. But buying new longer cranks might not be good if you decide you don't need them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Where can we find pictures of the black and tan SS frame built up? I have seen the silver frame in person but not my color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey jut8, what happened to your Rockhopper SS? How did it turn into a Stumpy?

The Other Dude
    The rockhopper frame is up on eBay with the stock wheelset and some other items as we speak, i am actually using most of the parts from it to build up the stumpy frame.

I will be sure to get the individual weight for you also. I am stoked to build it up.

For all those thinking about trying a SS, i would recommend it, it isnt near as bad as i thought it would be. Each time out it get more fun, and it is starting to become the "norm"

I should have some pictures posted up early this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jut, to bad you ebayed the bars and stem, I would have been interested. I am taking a similar approach to you. Just picked up a nearly new 08 RH 29er but I am going to go 1 x9right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rockhopper frame is up on eBay with the stock wheelset and some other items as we speak, i am actually using most of the parts from it to build up the stumpy frame.

I will be sure to get the individual weight for you also. I am stoked to build it up.

I should have some pictures posted up early this week.
    Looking forward to pictures, weights, and ride impressions.

Did you ride the RH? Or was it your intention all along to buy it for parts?

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Did you ride the RH? Or was it your intention all along to buy it for parts?
    Initially i bought the RH to give the SS a try, and to use as a winter bike. I didnt think i would like SS as much as I did. At first I honestly didnt even give the stumpy ss a thought, then I figured since i liked it, i might as well keep the same geo as my geared bike, and the stumpy frame is just sooooo smooth.

mtbr member
    If the price was better I would buy one. I am looking at the Red line now because of price. I am a Specialized fan and would rather it over the Red line.

Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My frame is coming in the end of this week and I was just wondering if anyone had any build tips or thoughts on the new EBB?
    ?

Seriously? I have to show my GF your threads, she thinks I am crazy. If I count her 29er I bought 5 bikes in the last 12 months, I think you doubled that.

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying the Exert Carbon29er. Every bike I have bought over the past 5 years have been great but this one takes it to another level.

Looking forward to pics and review of the SS.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I just finished my first 24 hour solo SS race on my 2010 Stumpy and the bike was amazing. It was a fast AZ course and the 29er wheels really took advantage of that. I finished 6th with 12 laps, about 125 miles.

Here's my impressions of the bike. I've had it since early Sept.

Pros:
    Great, predictable handling. This bike corners like crazy. My buddy said it looks like I'm glued to the trail when he's seen me riding. I'm running my fork at 100mm so it changes the geo a little, but I've noticed really no difference between 80 and 100. I was bottoming out at 80mm. No problems in tight techy sections.

Awesome pinchbolt EBB!!. It was silent and it didn't slip throughout the entire 24 hour race. I didn't even tighten it once. It's nice to be able to run the EBB at a 12 o'clock postition to get extra pedal clearance. I was able to mash through all the uphills without worrying about pedal strike. I hit a pedal once during the entire race.

Best traction I've ever had on a bike. The really short chainstay (just under 17") keep more of the rear wheel underneath you. I would slip out on my 26er when standing and mashing on a hill. This very rarely happens with this bike. I'm running Small Block 8s. Climbs like a goat.

Fast!!! I can only imagine how fast a geared one is.

No chainslap, no chainsuck, no chainskip, no gear slipping, no shifting issues,... you get the idea.

Cons:

EBB only goes from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock clockwise. Cannot run in 6 o'clock if you wanted to lower your center of gravity.

Tire clearance. I'm running a 2.1 SB8 and I'm getting tire rub on the inside of the chainstay. I don't think you can run anything larger than a 2.3 on the rear.

Integrated headset. It came loose after each ride of my first 5 or 6 rides. I've been told since it's integrated that it needs to 'settle', and this will happen after a couple of rides.

Possible brake/frame issues. I'm running Juicy Ultimate SL with Elixir style calipers and the rear brake vibrates the frame. Same thing happened on my 09 Stumpy Marathon. I really think its the brakes though.

Overall:

Great bike! I really love to ride it. More comfortable that I ever thought a HT could be. I wasn't really able to sit on Sunday after riding 80 miles on Saturday, but atleast it was a SS so most of my time is standing anyway. Lightweight. Mine is just under 22lbs for a large(19"). This is the fastest XC bike that I've ever ridden. I'm faster on this bike than I ever was on my 26er Epic.
    Last edited by Birdss; 11-12-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

The Other Dude
    I just got the bike all built up tonight. As with a bunch of specialized bikes, they frame looks WAY better in person.

Everything built up really nice, and the new EBB was super easy to work with, i gotta say that i like the design. Its super simple to setup, and seems easy to adjust, just follow the instructions! Mine is in the 12 o'clock position to start. I weighed mine on the gram scale and it came in at 60g with some grease on it, and the frame came in at 1.7kg.

I do have to say that I was a bit surprised/annoyed that the frame did not come with a seat post. A seatpost is shown in the picture, and EVERY specialized frame that I have ever bought came with a seatpost, this one did not, but it did include the integrated headset, carbon spacer, starnut, sick new headset cap,single bolt seatpost clamp, and the 3rd waterbottle cage mounts for the seatpost. So the shop owner let me borrow and old Richey post that he had laying around until my new post came in. Complete the bike came in at 23lbs 6oz. I am pretty happy with it considering that the build is nothing extravagant, just a good solid setup. I will try to take some pictures tonight or tomorrow and get them posted up, but here is the build:

Stumpy 29er SS Frame

Tora Race Solo Air Fork

DT 450SL Rims laced to Specialized/DT Hubs Tubeless (stock wheelset from my Expert Carbon 29er)

Captain 2.0 up front Fast Trak 2.0 in the rear

Truvativ FireX Crank 32t chainring 175mm crank arm length

Surley 20t Rear Cog

KMC X9 Chain

Tektro White Augra 160mm Brakes

Specialized 105mm Stem -8 degree drop

Specialized 660mm White Flat bars

Bontrager XXX Lite Grips

Candy Ti Pedals

Phenom Chromo Saddle

Richey Seatpost (soon to be Thomson Elite)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss
    I finished 6th with 12 laps, about 125 miles.

Cons:

EBB only goes from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock counterclockwise. Cannot run in 6 o'clock if you wanted to lower your center of gravity.

Tire clearance. I'm running a 2.1 SB8 and I'm getting tire rub on the inside of the chainstay. I don't think you can run anything larger than a 2.3 on the rear.
    Wow 125 miles? I bow to you awesomeness.

Why in the hell can't the EBB be run in the 6 o'clock position? That is just wrong, and is very disappointing to me personally...

Tire clearance could be an issue as well. If you rub a 2.1, I don't think a 2.3 would work at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where the hell are your pictures? ;-)

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Wow 125 miles? I bow to you awesomeness.

Why in the hell can't the EBB be run in the 6 o'clock position? That is just wrong, and is very disappointing to me personally...

Tire clearance could be an issue as well. If you rub a 2.1, I don't think a 2.3 would work at all.
    Thank you.

The EBB is "keyed" from what I've been told. Whatever that is and why, I don't know. This is why it only goes from 9 to 3 clockwise. It would be nice to run the EBB either 'high' or 'low'.

The 2.1 tire only rubs while I'm riding. I don't notice it at all, but I do see the marks on the inside of the chainstay. I think it happens when I'm mashing uphill and rocking the bike from side to side. This happens on my bros 2010 geared Stumpy Comp with Fast Trak 2.0s. It's my XC race bike so I don't think I will be running anything bigger that a 2.1.

Last edited by Birdss; 11-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    What does "EBB" stand for?!

I'm guessing something to do with an adjustable bottom bracket?

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    What does "EBB" stand for?!

I'm guessing something to do with an adjustable bottom bracket?
    Eccentric Bottom Bracket. Which allows for adjustablility to tension the chain.

mtbr member
    I figured something along those lines. Cool. Thanks.

The Other Dude
    Here are some pictures, i am heading out on it today after work for the first time. I am swapping the grips for some of the race xxx lite grips i run on my carbon 29er, and if I can find an older Reba SL or Race, i would love to get my hands on one of them for this bike. Other than that, i really dont want to change anything on it.

The Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) is keyed on the bottom, and the the pinch bolts are the "keys". The EBB is milled where the bolts go through, but only partially around the EBB, and the the EBB will "bottom" on the pinch bolts, and to remove the EBB from the frame, you need to completely remove the pinch bolts. Its a nice setup. I took mine apart and greased it per the instruction sheet that came with the frame, so I am hoping for a smooth, creek free ride. You can also check my pics for tire clearance, i am running a 2.0 Fast Trak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 29er Single Speed-pb110705.jpg  

Stumpjumper 29er Single Speed-pb110706.jpg  

Stumpjumper 29er Single Speed-pb110707.jpg  

Stumpjumper 29er Single Speed-pb110708.jpg  

Stumpjumper 29er Single Speed-pb110710.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jut8 you must sell crack or something, every time i turn around it is another new bike, this is #3 or 4 in the last month or two. add on top of that the demo and who knows what.

But never the less very nice bike, I want to build me one, but i am not too keen on those colors, i like the fully built one or last years marathon colors much better IMO. But after riding a 29er a ss 29er is a very easy thing to get used to.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is sweet! You are right about looking better in person. That black and tan looks really sharp. Working on getting my winter bike cobbled together. Just ordered some stans arches w/ztr hubs need a few other odds and ends...

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS
    But after riding a 29er a ss 29er is a very easy thing to get used to.

You know its really a new experience. When i first thought about single speed, was asking around about it, and my experience is very similar to what i was told it would, here is my experience:

Day 1 - A good bit of pain, along with a good bit of wondering..."why did i buy this bike" and some frustration, heavier breathing than normal, and blowing up much quicker than i expected

Day 2 - Some things seem to more "do-able" than they were on day one (even though i didnt clear everything) still some leg burning that i wasent used to

Day 3 - Started to really have fun on the bike, still learning the ropes, but its all coming together and becoming more enjoyable

Day 4 - Its the Norm....just like any other mountain bike, i feel i could take it anywhere and enjoy it as i would on my geared bike. Keeping up with faster group just fine...

If anyone is on the fence, try it, its not nearly as bad as one might think.

The Stumpy frame rode awesome today, it is just SO smooth, it riders much smoother than *another* companies carbon offering. The EBB is super nice, i will say that for the first 2 miles it creaked like crazy and was pretty annoying, but then it stopped and it has been silent....and no it didnt slip or move once. A+ on the bike! Great Job Specialized!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, they seems very nice. I do not unfortunately like the idea of the "keyed" EBB. I like my BB low, so I'm not sure I would like running the EBB in an upward position.

Can either of you tell me the BB height at 12 o'clock?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast