mtbr member
    May 2010

Stumpjumper 29er HT Cracked frame - warranty questions for you

I've had my 2011 Stumpjumper for a little over a year and a half and yesterday noticed a crack behind the seatpost stem running along one of the welds.

My LBS is telling me that it's a 50/50 chance they'll replace the frame under warranty. I don't know if the guy is just trying not to say one way or the other but 50% replacement on a weld crack isn't very comforting.

Here's a couple pics if you're curious.
    Stumpjumper 29er HT Cracked frame - warranty questions for you-photo-1-.jpg
    Stumpjumper 29er HT Cracked frame - warranty questions for you-photo-2.jpgStumpjumper 29er HT Cracked frame - warranty questions for you-photo-3.jpg

Anyway, couple questions for those of you who have experience with this. Assuming they do honor my warranty; Do they replace the frame with the same model? Does the warranty cover installing the new frame?

I'm eagerly awaiting a decision. I'll let you know what they come back with. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you are the original owner, that looks like the very definition of what a frame warranty should cover.

mtbr member
    I have that same bike and thought that might be a weak spot in the design. I do not have the issue but thanks to your post I will certainly be checking to make sure this issue does not appear. Thanks.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I never liked the looks of that junction point ever since Specialized started building their 26" Stumpies with it around 2004 or so. Just looks like a failure point waiting to happen. And apparently is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good News! They're going to warranty the frame. I'll be getting a 2013 equivalent. My LBS is offering to rebuild the bike for free since I bought it from them. However, I do have to purchase two adapter kits and a new seatpost for a total of $200.

Also, the new color doesn't match my fork. Maybe I can paint the fork or something?
    Stumpjumper 29er HT Cracked frame - warranty questions for you-mtn-bike.jpg
    (made this with my mad paint skills)