mtbr member

Stumpjumper 29 Carbon Rear Skewer comes loose

I have a 2012 Stumpy Carbon 29'er and I've had a weird problem with rear skewer's. On a few occasions I've had them come loose. The last time being last weekend which ended up making me crash and I put a hole in face and I got 13 stitches and a really bad mouth infection (awesome). I've had this problem with both the stock skewers but also with Stan's carbon skewers. I put them on pretty tight but not overly tight. Just enough to leave a mark in my hand but not a killing it to close it. Has anyone else had this problem? It's really unsafe. It only seems to happen when I'm going fast down a hill.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your accident.

Never happened to me before. Always replaced stock skewers with DT Swiss ones,easy and exact locking/unlocking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had a problem with American Classic skewers but never the Rovals.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    A quick release skewer working loose to the extent that the rear wheel comes out of the dropout shouldn't happen normally. Are you doing both steps to close it? Tightening the skewer and then closing the lever cam to lock it properly in position ?

If a quick release skewer is only tightened by turning, without using the cam, that can potentially lead to the skewer unfastening because it isn't closed fully.

This video shows how it should be done.
    Instructions to Properly Tighten Quick Release Skewers on Vimeo

The tightness of the skewer when you close the cam should be about as tight as you can manage. "Overly tight" would be about right.

If you're unhappy with the current skewers I'd suggest getting a Shimano rear skewer or a DT Swiss RWS skewer. Either of which will hold the wheel securely in place when tightened fully.

mtbr member
    I'm doing it how Zipp specified for their wheels. I've had many mountain and road bikes and never had this problem. Doesn't happen on my Niner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    On your twitter you say that the recent crash was because you lost the front end on a downhill corner?

The main thing with this sort of skewer loosening issue is to make sure it doesn't happen again. Fitting a Shimano or DT RWS skewer and tightening the skewer more than you do currently ought to be enough to eliminate the problem.

You could also get some allen key skewers which go very tight. If you tighten them down fully it's very unlikely that they could come loose whilst riding.

Wiggle | Halo Hex Key Skewers - Pair | Quick Release Skewers

mtbr member
    Your right I did say that. I later was told by a friend that stopped that while I was bleeding he was putting my rear wheel back in the bike for me and it made me think this issue. I never looked at my bike after the crash. Then someone else carried it off the trail while I tried to make my face stop bleeding. Awesome day!

I'll look into the allen key skewers. Will an RWS work on the back? That might be what it takes. Just such an odd thing to happen and happen multiple times. Its almost like the skewers are slipping out if the dropouts. I'm surprised they use verticle dropouts and not horizontal ones.

mtbr member
    That picture of your face after the crash looked bad. Ouch. Not good.

You can get DT RWS skewers that will fit a standard rear wheel.

DT Swiss - RWS MTB steel

On a mountain bike with disc brakes different forces are exerted than on a bike with rim brakes, which could potentially cause the skewer to work loose. If you do a google search for "disc brake skewer loosens" there are quite a few discussions about it, mostly for front wheels though.

Have a look at this link for example:

Disk brake and Quick Release problem

It's not something that's common with Specialized Stumpjumper 29 frames so far as I know. A tightly fastened secure skewer should be enough to stop it happening.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Yea my supermodelling career is on hold for the moment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I use RWS on all my bikes with non-thur axle skewers. My rear skewer on my Epic use to always come loose but I could tell because I could hear a creaking coming from the rear end.

Currently, I ride a Stumpy with no problems. I use the RWS on my Niner...highly recommend the RWS.

mtbr member
    Wow, thats what that noise is then. I've had a weird creek that comes and goes that I have never figured out. The bike had been creaking the day of the accident.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Identical problem with my 2012 Specialized Camber 29er. Got the bike new in April and twice now the skewer has come completely loose from the frame, resulting in sudden stops and injury. Lucky it wasn't serious last night. There is no nut on the axle, just the quick release lever and threads on the other side. Is there a solution? Do I need to be more specific about anything? I am not in any way a gear head.

mtbr member
    I bought the DT swiss RWS skewers but about 2 weeks later I sold the frame and bought a Niner Air 9 RDO. I just couldn't trust the bike after having that bad of a crash so I just got rid of it. Honestly, just get the DT Swiss RWS rear and you'll be fine. I sort of regret getting rid of the bike now. It was a foolish move but I was on a lot drugs for pain and antibiotics when I sold it. The Niner is awesome but the Stumpy was great too except for the skewers.

mtbr member

Stumpjumper 29 Carbon Rear Skewer comes loose

Quote Originally Posted by gambit49 View Post
    Identical problem with my 2012 Specialized Camber 29er. Got the bike new in April and twice now the skewer has come completely loose from the frame, resulting in sudden stops and injury. Lucky it wasn't serious last night. There is no nut on the axle, just the quick release lever and threads on the other side. Is there a solution? Do I need to be more specific about anything? I am not in any way a gear head.
    It's not quite the same problem. The 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail 29er has a standard quick release dropout (the skewer threads into a separate nut) whilst your 2012 Specialized Camber 29er has a Syntace X-12 142x12mm thru axle which threads directly into the frame.

Of the two it's easiest to fix a loosening problem with the standard quick release dropout, because you can replace both the skewer and nut, essentially starting over with fresh parts. To do the same with your frame you'd need to replace the thru axle but also the frame's chainstay.

Something to try is to remove the rear wheel, inspect the threads closely to see if they're stripping and then thread the thru axle into place, noting how easy it is to thread in. If there's a slight mismatch of tolerances between the thru axle thread and the threads in your frame dropout there could be a little play. If the thru axle threads in too easily the flip side is that it can also unthread easily.

"It is widely believed that vibration causes bolt loosening. By far the most frequent cause of loosening is side sliding of the nut or bolt head relative to the joint, resulting in relative motion occurring in the threads. If this does not occur, then the bolts will not loosen, even if the joint is subjected to severe vibration.
    Pre-loaded bolts (or nuts) rotate loose, as soon as relative motion between the male and female threads takes place. This motion cancels the friction grip and originates an off torque which is proportional to the thread pitch and to the preload. The off torque rotates the screw loose, if the friction under the nut or bolt head bearing surface is overcome, by this torque.

There are three common causes of the relative motion occurring in the threads:
    1. Bending of parts which results in forces being induced at the friction surface. If slip occurs, the head and threads will slip which can lead to loosening.
    2. Differential thermal effects caused as a result of either differences in temperature or differences in clamped materials.
    3. Applied forces on the joint can lead to shifting of the joint surfaces leading to bolt loosening."
    boltscience.com

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/vibloose.htm

There isn't really an easy fix with a rear Syntace X-12 thru axle that keeps loosening. You could try tightening the thru axle as tight as you can, always check the thru axle tightness every ride and also try threadlocker on the threads.

If that doesn't work you could try replacing the thru axle itself with a different one. Syntace make their own version which you could try.

If it's still loosening regularly, even after replacing the thru axle and tightening it as much as possible it could be down to the threads in the chainstay. At that point it's probably a warranty issue to speak to your bike shop about getting a new chainstay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Are these the sucky skewers?:

2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo 2 /// 2000 Ritchey Swiss Cross

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't think so. Hard to tell from photo.

mtbr member

Re: Stumpjumper 29 Carbon Rear Skewer comes loose

That's what the rear is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexgonzalezmi View Post
    That's what the rear is.

Like this?:

2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo 2 /// 2000 Ritchey Swiss Cross

mtbr member

Re: Stumpjumper 29 Carbon Rear Skewer comes loose

Yes that's the one. And of course now they are going to switch to thru axles front and rear.