Ski during the off-season

New question here. Stumpjumper 2013 Elite - what wheels do I have / how much do they weigh?

I recently purchased a demo 2013 StumpJumper Elite which appears to have the same wheels as the 2013 SJ Comp 29. Has anyone weighed the wheels for either a SJ Elite 29 or a SJ Comp 29 (i.e., without tire, disc, thru axles, etc.)? I am looking at buying a lighter wheel set, and would like an idea on how much weight I can expect to drop.

There is a sticker on the rims that says "Control Trail 29". Originally I thought I might have the Control Trail 29 wheels, which the Specialized web site lists a weight of ~1800g.

After reviewing the 'specs' tab for the StumpJumper Elite 29, it looks like my wheels have Control Trail 29 rims but the spokes and hubs are different.
    SJ Elite:
    - Spokes: DT Industry / 2.0
    - Frt hub: Specialized Hi Lo, 15mm thru-axle
    - Rear hub: New Specialized 4x-sealed cartridge bearing, 12mm thru-axle

Roval Control Trail 29 Wheelset:
    - Spokes: DT Super Comp
    - Frt hub: alloy body, 15/20mm thru-axle
    - Rear hub: DT 350 internals and ratchet system cassette

The SJ Elite rims on the Spec site are described as Roval 29, rather than Control Trail 29, which is on the rim.

If no one has weighed these wheels, what do you think of the following 'math'? The total weight of the front wheel is 4 lb 8.5 oz (2055g). Working backwards, I am estimating that the frt wheel weight is:
    2055 g (ride ready)
    -755 g (tire-quoted)
    -155 g (tube-actual)
    - 70 g (thru axle-estimate)
    -125 g (180mm disc-estimate)
    --------
    950 g

I roughly estimate that the rear wheel is going to weigh 200-300g more due to the 12x142 thru axle hub -- so rough estimate for the wheelset is 2100g - 2200g.

Wow. I guess I should not be too surprised. It does explain how the SJ S-Works can weigh 4 pounds less... (well, besides the carbon wheels, the full carbon frame, XTR/XX kit and nearly all alloy parts replaced with carbon help a little bit too ;-)

Thx.

mtbr member
    Your guess sounds about right to me. I had a set of the 26" wheels off a 2013 SJ Elite and they weighed 1950g. The 29er wheels are probably 100g or so more.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sorry did not even bother in reading the whole thing. I have the same bike/same year and even before she came home I've got her a new pair of wheels,good ones ( Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro 29er). Sold the OEM Rovals for 250 Euro. Roval Control Trails SL Carbon incoming tomorrow morning.

Use those wheels until they fall apart,it shouldn't take long. My Black Flags are at 1750gr and the bike still feels like a bag of concrete,I cannot even mentally conceive how the bike may feel with the OEM wheels. Can't wait to test my carbon Rovals !!
    Last edited by Devastazione; 07-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Sorry did not even bother in reading the whole thing... Sold the OEM Rovals for 250 Euro. Roval Control Trails SL Carbon incoming tomorrow... My Black Flags are at 1750gr and the bike still feels like a bag of concrete ...
    It is a long post - occurred to me that I should have just stated how much I thought the wheels weighed rather than going through the details. I had not worked through the details on the weight till last night.

While I enjoy riding down hill and can climb over objects easier on my sj elite, it is heavy and clumsy in comparison to my old giant nrs.

Hope you enjoy the roval carbons -- will be interested in how they change your riding experience.

I have been talking to my local bike shop about building a set of wheels using i9 hubs and the light bicycle rims but committed to wife that I would sell of some stuff in the garage first. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    ... 26" wheels off a 2013 SJ Elite and they weighed 1950g. The 29er wheels are probably 100g or so more.
    Thx. Did you change out your wheels too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by journey View Post
    It is a long post - occurred to me that I should have just stated how much I thought the wheels weighed rather than going through the details. I had not worked through the details on the weight till last night.

While I enjoy riding down hill and can climb over objects easier on my sj elite, it is heavy and clumsy in comparison to my old giant nrs.

Hope you enjoy the roval carbons -- will be interested in how they change your riding experience.

I have been talking to my local bike shop about building a set of wheels using i9 hubs and the light bicycle rims but committed to wife that I would sell of some stuff in the garage first. ;-)
    Don't worry it's not a matter of long post thing,it's just that as soon as I've realized we were talking about OEM Roval wheels at Comp and Elite levels something comes out on me,I genuinely hate those wheels..

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    ... talking about OEM Roval wheels at Comp and Elite levels ... I genuinely hate those wheels..
    At least the 2013 wheels have the newer 4 bearing rear hub -- I have been reading all the comments on the issues with the older hi-lo hubs. Geez. Anyway, it will be nice if I could get US$250 out of these wheels but I do have a few rides on them now.