mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Stumpjumper 2007 Paint

Anyone else notice the new stumpjumper's paint chips easily. I am noticing this on the frame where the quick release meets the frame (dropout I believe you call it) and on the rear drivetrain side of the frame, caused from the rear cog rubbing against the frame when putting on the rear wheel. I can upload a pic later. Let me know if anyone has noticed this. I have the 07 stump comp in black.

...idios...
    I have the 07 Big Hit and was surprised, annoyed even, at how easily the paint chipped away at the drop-out. I'm planning on sanding the area around where the back wheel bolts in to prevent any further 'spreading' as the paint flakes, but for now, I've found that a broad washer helps to distribute the load. I think that I'll get the seat stay anodized in the not too distant future.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Yeah man some crazy stuff

Let me know if you end up sanding it. I am curious to see how that goes. I do not think the exposed aluminum should affect performance. I.e. rust or weakening of the frame. What do you think?

Lusus Naturae
    Yup. I "fell over" on a sharp turn and scratched up my bike on some rocks. I have the 2007 SJ FSR Comp, which is Army Green so I plan on buying those little golden stars teachers give to kids, and covering the scratches with them. That way it'll have the army gold star on it too, wherever there's a booboo! haha

evilbanks
    Dude, the Enduro SL scratches pretty easily too, but who gives a damn? Its not meant to sit there and look pretty. You are supposed to ride the living hell out of it right? Isn't that what we do? Scratches make it yours and gives it character. On top of that it just kind of gives your bike that cool broken in look. I say let there be scratches!
    twitter.com/evilbanks

mtbr member
    My 06 Stumpy doesn't scratch easily.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

a liddo scratch now

Scratches= rust later in the bike's life?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My 2007 mango orange Rockhopper Pro has also already had some chipping problems. My brothers 2000 model red Stumpjumper Comp has a much better paint job then mine. Maybe it's more then just the frames that are now made in Taiwan? The paint perhaps. At least most of you all's colors can be easily matched.

...idios...
    "Scratches= rust later in the bike's life?!"

Sort of. It doesn't apply so much with an aluminium frame, but the al. oxide that forms when the metal is exposed will help to lift the paint around a scratch, therefore 'spreading' the damage. This is why I'll clean up and sand flat the edges of the flaking on my drop-outs.
    I agree with engineere that the paint finishes on older frames seems harder wearing. I had a 98 and an 01 frame before my current ride and both had what I would consider a better paint job. Both of those frames were made in Taiwan. The cynic in me would say that a nice looking but undurable paint job is just another form of built-in obsolescence.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes