mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Stumpjumper 2001 - need advice

I was at a lbs today and they had in a back room two brand new, and yet to be assembled, 2001 stumpjumper M4. He told me a cash price OTD of $800. He said he is just trying to recoup what he had in them. It sounds like a fair deal, but I am concerned about a bike that is more than 6 years old and just sat in a box. Can things "go bad" just sitting without use. The component group is LX/XT swith Judy SL. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    My LBS gave me a sweet deal on a 01 S-Works Frankenbike (S-Works front end with an FSR rear triangle) that had been hanging in their shop for 3 years when I bought it. Other than upgrading the components I originally put on it, it's still going strong.

The frame comes with a lifetime warranty. All other parts are expendable anyway. If you are concerned about the parts, maybe sell them on e-bay to cover some upgrades to newer components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    800! Grab it. Don't sweat the fork, it hasn't been used and seals should be fine. If they aren't just bring it back to the shop. I had the comp model of that bike and it was sweet. No discs is only real drawback but at 800 discs wouldn't be that big of deal to slap on. Get some bb7s you can use your levers and have the shop throw some disc hubs onto your wheels. Sounds like a no brainer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have one and they are great. Get rid of the forks though and get something modern. In the dry the brakes on it will be fine. I rode mine the other day and had a blast. My 04 Stumpie handles a but nicer but the old one still feels just as fast....