Buzzrider

Stumpjumper 2001-2003 Swingarm bolts

Back in 2001 I bought a new Stumpjumper FSR. Within 6 months one of the bolts that holds the swingarm stripped and the frame was replaced under warranty. I got a 2002 frame as a replacement. The bolts continued to come loose even with loc-tite but with careful maintenance I was able to avoid scrapping another frame. This year the bolt finally broke again and I sent the frame to Specialized Canada. They said that the bearings had seized due to poor maintenance (they were fine) and they cut off the swingarm,replaced the bearings and drilled the out the frame where the swingarm attaches. This again was done not under warrantee but as a goodwill gesture.This served to replace the two bolts with one that goes straight through, something they should have in the original design. At first i thought this was great. The problem is that they did not drill the hole properly, to much tolerance and to large on the left side. There is also no sleeve or bushing installed to prevent the the bolt from wearing away at the hole. End result the rear wheel is no longer inline and the frame is scrap. Specialized denies responsibility stating they did what they could to replace the frame. I was OK with this until I met someone on the trail that had the same work done by a local bike shop and everything worked fine. Specialized oftered a crash replacement (thanks but no thanks). I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the FSR. So far I have met four. Hate to do it but perhaps a class action suit may wake up Specialized to the problem.

mtbr member
    My 2003 SJ FSR needed all the pivot bearings replaces recently. Specialized (and the 2 local dealers) state that they are wear items and likely need to be replaced every year. My bike is only 2 seasons old and has only about 1300 KM on it of which over half are road miles.
    In my opinion this is not very acceptable and of course no one mentions the fact that you will need to spend 200 bucks a year maintaining the rear triangle. If i had known i may have opted for a hard tail.
    Having said that if these are left too long they will damage the seats that they are pressed into and effectively make your frame useless. I caught mine in time but the bearings litterally fell apart when the seals were removed.
    Teh bike is a lot better and i have since ordered some aftermarket bearings that are supposed to be more durable (abiindustries.com - Enduro MAX series).
    They are also cheaper than the Specialized kit. The bearings i currently have installed were bought from a guy in Ottawa who sells kits for various bikes. Just check the numbers on the sides of the bearings.

I think that if they attempted a repair and screwed it up, they should do the right thing and replace the frame. The rear triangle is not covered though (wear item - 1 year warranty!!) so i would suspect you would have to cough up the cost for that to be replaced.

Members who have read this thread: 0