mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The Stumpjumper 06 FSR Comp or the Expert

Just wondering on people opinions if it's worth waiting for the Expert (6 weeks) while the Comp is in the Bike shop reading to go..

Difference being the brakes (Avid juicy 5's vs the 7's), forks (Fox RL 90-120 vs Fox talus 190 -130) and finally cranks (Truvative Stylo 2pc GXP S/A/A vs Shimano XT ) I also think the handle bars might be marginally different.

Should I wait for the Expert or go ahead with the Comp. There is about a $500 difference too.

Most of my riding is Cross Country but enjoy some air and down hill riding.

Weapon of Choice
    I would wait, juicy 7 rule and the xt crank as well.

...the wave won't brek
    My recomendation is to compare the specs on the different pats and see if the Expert offers you something you feel you will use or need.

If you feel you can live without them go for Comp

If you feel you can't live without them go for the Expert

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

I went with the 06 Comp

I was hoping to get an 05 expert but by the end of the fall 2005 LBS was out of XL size, I couldn't wait anymore and jumped on an 06 comp. I couldn't be more happy with the ride. The difference between the Juicy 5 and 7 is the little red knob that gives the 7 more adjustability. Most of the parts are the same and the 5's stop my 230 lb arse just fine. The other major difference I thought was the front fork, expert having the TALAS and Comp having the FloatRL. Eveveryone raves about the TALAS, but I felt it was just another useless adjustment that I would forget to do when riding. My style is to get on the bike and ride up and bomb down, I don't want to have to fingle with all these knobs and crap, for me simple is better, just ride baby. The $$ I saved I bought new Thompson stem and post and new WTB saddle. If saving $$ and time is important to you, go with the comp, upgrade as you go and soon your bike will be better than an expert. I liked the color of the expert better, but I have gotten used to the bright blue of the comp, it catches everyone's eye. With all the rain we have been having in NorCal, the bike has been brown most of the winter anyway.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by mod04
    Just wondering on people opinions if it's worth waiting for the Expert (6 weeks) while the Comp is in the Bike shop reading to go..

Difference being the brakes (Avid juicy 5's vs the 7's), forks (Fox RL 90-120 vs Fox talus 190 -130) and finally cranks (Truvative Stylo 2pc GXP S/A/A vs Shimano XT ) I also think the handle bars might be marginally different.

Should I wait for the Expert or go ahead with the Comp. There is about a $500 difference too.

Most of my riding is Cross Country but enjoy some air and down hill riding.
    Some good answers so far.

For me, it would come down to which fork I want and then the frame color.

As I suggested in this thread where the poster was trying to decide between the Epic Expert or Comp, you can upgrade to the XT crankset for a very reasonable price ($20-45, net).

I don't know enough about Fox forks to discuss the finer points, but from what I've read, the TALAS does get better reviews than the Float.

As BigDridesBigS said, there's not a lot of difference between the Juicy 5 and 7. I actually prefer the blue frame of the Comp, so I'd probably buy the Comp, upgrade to XT cranks, and do exactly what BigDridesBigS did and buy a Thomson seatpost and stem and maybe a WTB saddle. I'm actually thinking about just stealing BigDridesBigS's bike.

There's also the six week wait to think about. If I had a strong preference, I'd wait it out, otherwise I'd jump on the one that's available today and be happy with it, or use the savings on upgrades.

Weapon of Choice
    In the end it mostly comes down to price worth paying and value for your dollar; I got the 05 expert FSR for just over 2000 bucks, for that price, component wise, I am very satisfied.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDridesBigS
    With all the rain we have been having in NorCal, the bike has been brown most of the winter anyway.
    So for 40% of the price, everyone thinks you're on the S-Works. Great deal! Last fall, I rode with a guy with that bike. Very nice bike.

Last week, I rode with a guy who works in a shop and he was on an limited edition green '06 FSR Expert "test bike" that he'd just bought. Also very nice.

mtbr member

Maybe look elsewhere

You may want to consider looking elsewhere. Another shop may have the expert. In North Jersey there are lots of shops selling Specialized within a 50 mile radius. You can always call to if they have the Expert in.

Weapon of Choice
    All the FRS are really decent bikes, Its just how much you are willing to spend or upgrade in parts, to each is own. I rode a stumpy hardtail for a while before going to this full suspension and for the trails I ride; absolutely no regrets! I must agree the blue colored FSR comp is very nice color; the catalog or internet pic doesnt do it justice. Either way you cant go wrong on which FSR you choose. As long as you size it right! Good luck.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat. Rode the Comp and was considered the Expert but the nicer components didn't win me over and I got the base Stumpy instead. I hated the BB7's, Juicy 5's, and Juicy 7's and had the LBS install Hayes HFX-9's. I would have never used the Talas adjustment, hell I have never used the lockout on the Float. The bike is perfect.

The dark grey of the base Stumpy was my favorite color with the Comp blue being my least favorite.

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    Just picked up my '06 Stumpjumper Expert yesterday. I've had two rides on it. Got my first big wreck in today too. I also had a demo for a weekend a couple of weeks ago.

Really it comes down to whether or not you think the Talas, Juicy 7's, and XT Cranks are worth 500 bucks. I recommend you don't worry about the time. Be patient. Hopefully, you'll have the bike for a long time.

I like the talas so far. When I ride the Scotia gamelands (flatlands), I dial the talas down and run an XC configuration. When I ride in Rothrock (hills and rocks), I extend the talas for a slacker headtube and extra travel. Seems to work very well.

I don't know about the difference between Juicy 5's and Juicy 7's. I can say that the Juicy 7's feel great.

As for the cranks, if I bought the Comp, I would upgrade the cranks to XT's. I really like the XT cranks.

So, for me, the Expert was the best option. But, I only had to wait a week for mine.

Good Luck,

Jim
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Weapon of Choice
    [QUOTE=.

I like the talas so far. When I ride the Scotia gamelands (flatlands), I dial the talas down and run an XC configuration. When I ride in Rothrock (hills and rocks), I extend the talas for a slacker headtube and extra travel. Seems to work very well.

I don't know about the difference between Juicy 5's and Juicy 7's. I can say that the Juicy 7's feel great.

As for the cranks, if I bought the Comp, I would upgrade the cranks to XT's. I really like the XT cranks.

My thoughts exactly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had the same problem today but went with the comp. It was cheaper for me and this is my first mtb so i'm looking for something nice, but not overly nice. I don't think I could have noticed all the differences between the expert and comp. The adjustibility of the Juicy 7s over the 5's wasn't big for me. The float rode the same for me as the talas and i would have never used the adjustable travel....i just ride.

However, the xt cranks were nice but they were too expensive for me to upgrade to. Maybe down the road but not right now.

My LBS threw in a specialized bike computer ($40) and a pair of Specialized comp carbon shoes ($170) so I thought it was a pretty good deal. All in all, I got everything for cheaper than they offered me for the expert. And I get to ride the bike now instead of waiting to get more $$ for the expert.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Some really good replies there and as a result I've decided to wait and be patient, it might kill me but hey I'm going to have this bike for some time and I want to be totally happy and not think about the what if I???

I think both bikes are awesome but for the components and paint job, I'm going the Expert now!!

Funny thing here in Sydney, we can only get the brown in the Expert and Black in the Comp (that I've seen). If I had a choice here I'd go the Silver Expert.

Thanks again guys and ride safe

Carl

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mod04
    Funny thing here in Sydney, we can only get the brown in the Expert and Black in the Comp (that I've seen). If I had a choice here I'd go the Silver Expert.
    Carl
    I think you gonna love that colour also, that satin brown is really sweet. I was choosing between Pro and Expert and decided to take Expert with some nice upgrades (for example DT240S/M819) Here in Europe options are brown and black, when I first time saw that colour in Specialized home page. I really loved to it and looks even better than in picture, like bronze. Black is so common in bikes so I wanted something special(ized). Here is pic of my bike

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004

Congrats

I like the brown more than my silver. That is a sweet looking bike. I like colors that are a out of the ordninary too.

I rode my bike in Rothrock State Forest today for the first time, though I did ride the demo bike there. I gotta believe you'll enjoy your Stumpy Expert. It is a great all-rounder. It descends, climbs, and handles very well.

Congratulations,

Jim
    Last edited by jayhsee; 04-09-2006 at 05:50 PM.
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Good job!

That's a good lookin bike, especially with the snowy backround..