mtbr member
    May 2005

Stumpie FSR rubber thingie on handle post?

When I got my stumpie there was a rubber plug that goes into the allen hole on the bike's handle post. The allen which you adjust to remove the headset slack. There was a rubber gromet of some kind in there and I lost mine,

I know this is just for looks, but im curious if this is available somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I've never seen one for sale....

Quote Originally Posted by new2mtb
    When I got my stumpie there was a rubber plug that goes into the allen hole on the bike's handle post. The allen which you adjust to remove the headset slack. There was a rubber gromet of some kind in there and I lost mine,

I know this is just for looks, but im curious if this is available somewhere.
    but you might want to check with the LBS where you bought the bike. They may have some sitting around in a dusty corner somewhere. And it's not just for looks, they actuall did perform a function. With some older bikes those were used to keep moisture (sweat, rain, whatever) form getting into the head of the bolt and causing it to rust. Not really that big of a deal it seems to me, but that is the function that it performed. I had an old Trek 6500 that came with one of those plugs, came with the headset if I remember correctly. I lost it within the first 15 minutes on the trail. Anyway, poke around the LBS's in your area, that's your best bet.

Good Dirt

Gravity Rides Everything
    fill your boltheads with grease

just wipe if off the top. It'll stop corrosion and it's really not messy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

or..

fill it with candle way (light the candle and let it drip into the hole). waterproof, easy to remove. or just use grease like that other guys said