mtbr member

Stumped: Enduro SL or Stumpjumper?

Those of you who ride Enduro SLs, how have you found them for longish rides over relatively flat ground?

I ask, because I'm on the verge of buying my first full suspension rig. I've tried a ton of bikes from different brands, and I've narrowed things down to either the Stumpjumper or the Enduro SL. I've been able to demo the Stumpjumper for a weekend, but the LBS doesn't let their one Enduro SL out for trail rides (which is understandable).

I really like going down hills. I suffer through uphills mainly so I can ride down the other side. But the reality is that there is a lot of flat terrain in my region. A typical ride that I do fairly often from my house takes me out through maybe six miles of hilly terrain, and then it's a sixish mile flat ride back home. I love the way the Enduro SL felt when I rode it around the shop area. Will I still like it when faced with, say, a 24-mile ride over only moderately hilly terrain?

Ultimately, I have to make the decision. But I would be interested in hearing other's experiences and thoughts about riding the Enduro SL on relatively flat trails. And what if the hills are only moderate? We don't have the Rocky Mountains where I live. We maybe have 100-200 feet of relief, in general, to play with.

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would just get a Stumpy with a brain if I didn't have that much altitude and harsh terrain to ride on. I have a lot more alititude (my regular loop has 1200ft of climbing on asphalt, dirt road, and singletrack and I chose the Stumpy FSR. Since it was replacing a stolen bike, I didn't have any money saved up and I just got the Elite. It's awesome, and I don't mind the Triad that it comes with. But if you're able to swing it then get one with a brain and be done with it.

Boulder, CO
    Any SL owerns in Munising, Michigan willing to swap bikes for a ride?
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii