mtbr member

Stump Jumper or Epic? Please help

Well its time for a new ride but I cant decide between the 07 Stump jumper Comp/Elite or should I go with an 07 Epic Comp?

I do a lot of climbing but I want to descend with speed and agility, But I would rather kick some butt climbing when I'm out with another rider. I would rather be the first one up then the first one down.

My old bike is a cheap hard tail.

What to do…any advise would be great!!!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    From your description it sounds like the epic is your bike, if you really love going up that much, just be careful full suspension has a way of pushing your limits and making you want bigger bikes. What are the decents like around you if they are relatively smooth and twisty the epic should be fne, but if your hitting rock gardens I'd see if the stumpjumper will do for the uphill.

mtbr member
    I have a lot of trail choices, All the local trails by my house have a lot of climbing. I'm in CA bay area not to far from Henry Coe. Lots of steep climbs with people pushing their bikes up the hill.

I like to hit the ocasional jump and maybee a 3 foot drop.

Will a Stump Jumper climb better than my Diamond back hard tail? Im asuming it will blow it away.

I would avetually like to take my next bike to Moab.

mtbr member
    It really all depends on the trail you're riding. The best thing to do is find a LBS that you can test both bikes on your would be usual trail. Or find someone who owns these bikes and test drive them both.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    If your hitting jumps and drops then you would probably be happier with a stumpy, I bet once you get one you will start to value the downhill more than the up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i was going to go for a stumpjumper but after trying an epic it fit so well i had to go for it, it does go up amazingly well but it goes down better than my xc which i was surprised about, i can pick my lines better and the fox fork is stiff and plush at the same time, yes the suspension is stiffer but makes for a more manuverable ride, i dont like ploughing over stuff anyway, im having so much fun with it ive forgotten all about the stumpjumper, perhaps one day ill have both

mtbr member
    I would do some demo rides but the 07 models are selling out quick!

Might have to go with the Stumpy.
    I'm a sucker for black and red color schemes anyways.
    I guess I can always lock out the rear shock to climb and open it up for the down hill descents and take on whatever comes my way.
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

One more question,
    I'm 5,10 1/2" 175lb should I stick with a medium? 5, 10 -5, 11 seems to be right in-between Mediums and Large.

Thanks all

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i dont know, you need to try it out yourself, fit is very important, i have a friend with a black and red 07, its really nice, the stumpy climbs well, i wouldnt worry about it, its one of the most versatile bikes out there, the epic is a more focused machine but i really like what it offers

Ogden Utah
    Quote Originally Posted by Wideside66
    I'm 5,10 1/2" 175lb should I stick with a medium? 5, 10 -5, 11 seems to be right in-between Mediums and Large.

I had the same issue 1 year ago when I bought my SJ..........Im 5'11" 185lbs w/ a 32" inseam........I sat on the Med & realized the seat height was almost max'd out. I bought the Large & happy w/ the fit & the larger brakes.........I did change the stem & replaced w/ a shorter Thomson so I wasnt so stretched out (also installed the RF Carbon bars)..........Heres a pic taken last week on the trail............Merry Christmas to all, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    While XC riding, Beware of "NGP" (Negative Gravity Pockets) They're Real!!!

mtbr member
    Interesting Joe, Im might have to start a new topic no this.
    Nice pic with the Cacti