mtbr member
    May 2005

stump fsr brake question

Is there a way to lower the engagement of the hydrolic brake levers ? So it engages near the handlebar grip, I am just so used to having it engage so far, for leverage that I feel weird having the tires lock up when Its still way up there :LOL:

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by new2mtb
    Is there a way to lower the engagement of the hydrolic brake levers ? So it engages near the handlebar grip, I am just so used to having it engage so far, for leverage that I feel weird having the tires lock up when Its still way up there :LOL:
    Yup, there should be.

Don't know what brakes you have, but on both my cheap-o v-brakes and my fancy Shimano XT hydros, there is a really tiny allen screw (like 1mm?) that adjusts the brake lever reach. Look on the lever "housing" (not the moving lever itself), inside near your index finger. (Check the manufacturer's website for a schematic if you can't find it).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i see one allen but its on the lever, i cant find the manual off the net but will check some more later. Did you have to bleed urs after adjusting?

Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    Yup, there should be.

Don't know what brakes you have, but on both my cheap-o v-brakes and my fancy Shimano XT hydros, there is a really tiny allen screw (like 1mm?) that adjusts the brake lever reach. Look on the lever "housing" (not the moving lever itself), inside near your index finger. (Check the manufacturer's website for a schematic if you can't find it).

just like a speeder-bike
    i see one allen but its on the lever, i cant find the manual off the net but will check some more later. Did you have to bleed urs after adjusting?
    On the lever? careful, don't loosen the lever somehow. No, I didn't have to bleed it.

mtbr member
    Not sure which model levers you have, but here's the service instruction for the XT Dual Control levers on my FSR 120.

The lever reach adjustment screw is inside, behind the lever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks, i don't have the exact model on mine, but its not the dual shifter/brake lever. Its seperate.. i have a fsr expert 100 mm btw.