mtbr member

Strongarm II removal question

OK, I'm trying to remove the cranks on my wife's '03 Epic WSD but the damn things don't seem to come off. According to the S website, they are XT Octalink splined. My bike's XTs have a screw that doubles as a crank puller. The ones on the Strongarm just unscrew leaving the crank in place.

So - given that this is an Octalink, anyone have any tips or recommendations on how to budge thse damn things? Is my screw messed up since it doesn't ease the crankarm off?

I'm confused....
    Last edited by skiahh; 11-14-2005 at 05:14 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member

use a crank insert

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    OK, I'm trying to remove the cranks on my wife's '03 Epic WSD but the damn things don't seem to come off. According to the S website, they are XT Octalink splined. My bike's XTs have a screw that doubles as a crank puller. The ones on the Strongarm just unscrew leaving the crank in place.

So - given that this is an Octalink, anyone have any tips or recommendations on how to budge thse damn things? Is my screw messed up since it doesn't ease the crankarm off?

I'm confused....
    You need to get a crank insert (looks like a little button/coin) which fills in the hole in the bb so you can use a normal crank extractor. Park or other brands also do a specific octalink crank extractor that does the same thing.

mtbr member
    OK, got it. Couple of washers did the trick.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany