mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Stout front hub service

Hi ,

The stout front hub on my specialized 2008 stumpjumper could do with some new bearings. I can easily get the cover wound off one side of the hub but I can't see a way of getting the other side off. To remove the axle do I just need to knock it out using a hammer , leaving the cover on one side ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

before replacing...

try removing carefully the seal from the bearings using a small screwdriver and grease them. replace hte seal and give the wheel a few good spins. It should be fine. That's what I did and were like new...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for your reply mns I would give it a go but I can't get the cover off one side of the hub. The first side came off easy becasue I could grip it with a cone spanner, but when there is only one cover on the axle I have nothing to grip the axle with to stop it rotating allowing me to remove the 2nd side with the cone spanner, that's why I was asking if I could just knock the axle through with a few hammer blows.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Double-nut on the end of the axle will let you loosen it.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel clarkson
    Thanks for your reply mns I would give it a go but I can't get the cover off one side of the hub. The first side came off easy becasue I could grip it with a cone spanner, but when there is only one cover on the axle I have nothing to grip the axle with to stop it rotating allowing me to remove the 2nd side with the cone spanner, that's why I was asking if I could just knock the axle through with a few hammer blows.
    try graping it with a pair of pliers. both sides are just pressed up. I grapped the horizontal end (about 1mm wide) and just pulled it away...