Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004

Stout Front Hub Convertible - RWS to 20mm??

Anyone know if I can convert my Stout front hub from DT RWS to 20mm thru axle??

The 2 hubs look similar but not sure if there are parts available for the conversion.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How much machining work are you willing to do?
    Check the bearings ID, if it is 20mm, you would just need to machine spacers that change the length of the hub from 100mm x 9mm to 110mm x 20mm.

It would be easier to just re-hub that rim.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Sucks - was hoping they had some conversion parts. Why can't companies set up their hubs with some simple adapters to accommodate different fork options?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It seems to me that there are hubs out there that give you the option of different axles. I want to say one of the high end Mavic Crossmax hubs does but don't quote me. Basicall the hub would be made for say QR 20 but have different adapters to fit QR 15 or 9 mm. The problem to me is that you're making a hub the jack of all trades, chances are it will be the master of none.

Why do you want to go QR15? The stout hubs have a larger flange making them stiffer than standard 9mm ones from other manufacturers so QR 15 is just more weight and no roof rack attachments are available or if they are nobody has one.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Actually trying to go 20mm. Have a set of wheels for 20mm, but wanted to see if I could convert another set that I have to 20mm as a back up set, if needed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I will trade you a 20mm hub for that stout hub and RWS. DT Swiss 440, New, But it might be a 36 hole, I need to check if you are interested.