Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stock stem length

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  arctic303 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 1999 Stumpjumper Pro hardtail. I was wondering if anyone knew the length of the stock stem?

My back is usually pretty sore after extended riding. I think I need a shorter stem but unfortunately, I don't know the stock stem size.

Thanks a lot.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will measure it when I get home today. Just by roughly estimation with my fingers, I think it's about 120mm is that considered long?

I will also look into riser bars.

Are there special tools required to install a stem?

#4 ·
Unless you're racing or doing a lot of climbing it's pretty long. Mine also came with 120mm and I used to get backache too. Swapped it out for a 50mm stem and bought some riser bars (1.5"), no backache at all now and it still climbs just as well. I went 50mm after reading this - best change I've ever made on the bike. :thumbsup:

No special tools required. Just undo the 2 bolts on the stem and the one on top. Just make sure when you put the new stem on to tighten the top nut before the stem nuts, otherwise everything will be loose.

#5 ·
Thanks again for the quick reply. Are there any stems in particular that you recommend. I just browsed some online sites and it appears most XC stems start at 70-90mm. The only ones that go down to 50mm are the downhill type and they seem very beefy and heavy (not that I'm very weight conscious).

Also, I think I looked at the Easton Monkeybars, they have low, medium, and high. But didn't give how much rise in terms of inches. I will have to stop by my local bikeshop or REI to check things out this weekend.

By the way, I do lots of climbing when I ride because most of the trails nearest to me are non-technical dirt fire roads.

#7 ·
After doing some web searching, I found that a Sette stem + bar combo from PricePoint for about $55

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15...e-Ace-7075-O_S-Stem-w_-Duo-2014-Riser-Bar.htm

The Sette Ace stem has a 5 degree rise (length 45,60,80,100) and the Duo Riser Bar comes in 1.5", 2", and 2.5" rises.

I also found a Truvativ XR Mountain/Road Stem for $17 at JensonUSA. This stem was mentioned in the link LeeLikesBikes link about stem lengths.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ST308A12-Truvativ+Xr+Mountainroad+Stem.aspx

I'm confused by their angles... For example, it says "Black, 60mm, 85/95 Deg 11/8" THRDLSS" What does 85/95 Deg mean? It seems quite extreme... Also, from the pictures, there's only one bolt to clamp the stem onto the steer tube is this robust enough? Even my stock stems (which retails for around $10) has two bolts...

Finally, is a 1 1/8" measurement for the steering tube a standard measurement? I know there are two sizes for handle bars (my stock one is 25.4mm and most short stems are designed for 31.8mm bars) so I'm wondering if there are multiple common sizes for steer tubes as well?

Thanks again for your helpful replies.

#8 ·
I think they're just quoting their angles in a different way.Taking 90 degrees as flat, 85 degrees is -5, 95 degrees is +5. I've also seen that stem listed as -/+5 degrees. I didn't like the idea of just one bolt on the clamp either so I looked elsewhere.

The 1 1/8" steering tube is standard and seems to be what you have on your bike - Stumpjumper Pro 1999

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.