Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

still looking for a coil shock for your '05/'06 enduro?

cheap vanilla rc.
    send it to PUSH for a race tune

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got one of those for my Giant AC1 , they also have a bunch of other great deals on shocks that will fit other model/years , look at the whole close out closet, my old enduro would take one of the $14.95 alps air shocks they have.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Crap, is that price real? That is crazy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No international shipping though

mtbr member
    It says hardware may not be available. What hardware do you need? Im a little lost here, just picked up an 06 enduro expert a couple of days ago.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose Ryder
    It says hardware may not be available. What hardware do you need? Im a little lost here, just picked up an 06 enduro expert a couple of days ago.

Thanks,
    the only hardware needed would be the correct size mounting hardware/spacers to bolt the shock body to the shock shuttle. you can get these directly from fox, your LBS can order them, you could find them online or you could use the ones that are currently in your dhx-air.

mtbr member
    Thanks that makes sense. What are the advantages / disadvantages with coil shocks vs my dhx 5.0 air?

Justin

wretch
    is that stroke size going to work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    is that stroke size going to work?
    works like a charm
    Attached Images Attached Images

wretch
    Hmmmm I was going to shell out the dinero for a DHX but. . . Are there any if's, and's, or but's?

mtbr member
    Damn for 40 bucks you cant go wrong, what spring do I get if I weight 170lbs?

Thanks

mtbr member

Thanks
    350 or 400.
    i'm running a 350 at 165 lbs but i like my suspension soft and run a bit more sag.
    spring rate calcs would probably say 400.

it looks like they only have 500# and up left - not sure if there would be enough rebound adjustment range if you dropped the spring rate 100 - 150#.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Hmmmm I was going to shell out the dinero for a DHX but. . . Are there any if's, and's, or but's?
    if you want simplicity this shock is it.
    if you want more adjustments get the dhx.

and yes, some people have had frame contact issues at full compression with the longer stroke - i didn't but had PUSH install a thicker bottom out bumper as a precaution.

but remember that i can only compare this shock to the stock dhx air after sending it to PUSH as i never could ride it prior. it was valved for a much higher leveraged bike and heavier rider and was unusable until i had it tuned. that said i'm glad i did it - much better performance IMO than the stock dhx air. i have no idea how a stock rc would feel on these bikes.

my rc is tuned with no internal "platform" damping and is running zero compression damping. even with the super soft compression settings the bike still pedals well for a 6" travel bike with active suspension.

mtbr member
    Thanks that makes sense. What are the advantages / disadvantages with coil shocks vs my dhx 5.0 air?

Justin
    the most common reason people were looking for coil shocks for their enduro's is the soft midstroke and lack of bottom out air pressure adjust on the '06's with the dhx-air. the '05 owners were blowing up 5th element air shocks seemingly regularly and wanted something more reliable.

advantages and disadvantages are somewhat personal. i wanted a coil shock because i didn't like the way the dhx-air sank into it's travel so easily and i've always liked the ride, feel and reliability of coil shocks. it's just my preference for longer travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks size for the info and recomendations, I will probley pick one up for when I hit up the slopes this summer. So far the bike has worked out pretty good for me.

Justin

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks

Go Here

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    are these guys a reputable dealer? Who's bought from them? 'Size, is this where you got your V-RC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSchitt
    are these guys a reputable dealer? Who's bought from them? 'Size, is this where you got your V-RC?
    no, i bought mine off ebay long ago. i have no first hand experience with this retailer but i've never heard anything bad about them either. i believe i've seen reference to them on these boards in the past.

mtbr member
    is that a 700# spring? That would be a rock.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have bought from Bikeman several times, never had a problem

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The deal is legit.. I bought one two weeks ago when the ad first hit MTBR. For the price I just couldn’t pass on the deal. I had to buy the 600# spring and once I installed the shock found it was way to much for my 220# riding weight. I have a 450# ordered and it should be here next Tuesday.

Fitment was not a problem… I removed the spring, installed the shock, and verified there were no suspension linkages making contact with the frame. I did install the shuttle marked “Low” for the test fit. My frame is the 2007 Enduro Elite size M.

Hope this helps,

Dale

mtbr member
    would any of you ever concider running a Vanilla R? Not the RC

Stray Bullet
    I picked a couple of these up.

I'll be mounting it to my Enduro perhaps this evening. I'll be sure to post pictures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama

I'll be mounting it to my Enduro perhaps this evening. I'll be sure to post pictures.
    That’s what I’m talking about, for the price buy’em in pairs!

Just mounted my 450# spring today and the sag is perfect… some say the shock was setup internally for the 600# spring. But I have found the internals will work just fine with a 450# spring with no problems… I had to adjust the rebound and compression down as the speeds were just way to fast! Heading to the trails now, so I will try to post photos and give my first impressions later tonight.

mtbr member
    what shock were you taking off the enduro? did you need any other sleeves/fit kits or did the two fox products swap over? What year/model enduro? what # spring?cant wait to see the pics and you impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast