Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

sram cassette problems

Hey All, I have a 2010 epic comp 29er and am having problems with the cassette wearing out. I bought it new in november and since then I have had it at the bike shop several times for the chain skipping. The last time we found that the cogs on the 12 tooth sprocket had rounded one or two of the teeth. So the bs replaced the cog. since then I have ridden it about ten times and low and behold its doing it again. So tonight I took the wheel off and inspected the cassette and just as I suspected its rounding off again along with the next two cogs up. So now I have three cogs that are toast and once it starts slipping its done. There isnt any adjusting it out. So my question is, Is there anybody else having this problem or am I doing something wrong. I dont get to use that gear very often so I cant understand why its wearing out so quick. I would expect the others to wear first. Please help if you can..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Cassette wear?

I wore out a XTR cassett in 3 months after replacing all the drive train. Speechless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would be extremely happy at this point to get three months of riding on one cassette. I have taken my bike back to the shop about every other ride withcomplaints about the slipping. The last time they replaced the small cog and I rode it 3 times before it started slipping again. Now I cant even ride it down the street without it slipping. It honestly pisses me off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    oh yeah not to mention I bought a new chain last time as well because the first chain had a link that got stiff. So I opted to buy the new chain and upgrade it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What model Sram cassette are you having the problems with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What model cassette? I find the pg 990's really hard wearing. Have you got enough lube or too much? What's the dirt like where you ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    its what ever came on the bike. I think its the 980. Its not the top line product. I clean it regularly after all my rides and I have a mix of soil conditions. From sand to clay to forest loom all on the main trail I ride. I also keep it lubed with teflon lube and I follow the directions for the lube I'm using. I feel like it shouldnt be wearing that quick. Literally on the 3rd ride it started slipping again. My trail that I ride is about 13 or so miles and a lot of technical and long climbs so using the small gear isnt a option most of the time except when going down hill or on a couple of the flats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can you post a picture of those 'rounded off' teeth?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by t_roy
    its what ever came on the bike. I think its the 980. Its not the top line product. I clean it regularly after all my rides and I have a mix of soil conditions. From sand to clay to forest loom all on the main trail I ride. I also keep it lubed with teflon lube and I follow the directions for the lube I'm using. I feel like it shouldnt be wearing that quick. Literally on the 3rd ride it started slipping again. My trail that I ride is about 13 or so miles and a lot of technical and long climbs so using the small gear isnt a option most of the time except when going down hill or on a couple of the flats.
    1. Check the chain wear with a proper chain gauge.
    2. Have you checked the derailleur "B" screw? This sets the amount of vertical distance between the chain and the small cogs. Chances are this is out.

trail addict
    Unless I am understanding something wrong here, I really don't get how/why you are muscling on that smallest cog enough to wear it out so quickly... I mean, on a typical ride, I rarely even use the two smallest cogs and when I do, I am not applying all that much torque to them (although this obviously varies somewhat by rider/trails/etc).

Then again, by their lower tooth count, they naturally wear proportionally faster, but still.... this doesn't make sense.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi
    1. Check the chain wear with a proper chain gauge.
    2. Have you checked the derailleur "B" screw? This sets the amount of vertical distance between the chain and the small cogs. Chances are this is out.
    This^

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeh I could probably do that. I changed the bad cog before my ride today and everything was good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I should also let everybody know that it is not a sram its a shimano. My bad. sorry for the confusion. I thought the bike store told me it was a sram.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Unless I am understanding something wrong here, I really don't get how/why you are muscling on that smallest cog enough to wear it out so quickly... I mean, on a typical ride, I rarely even use the two smallest cogs and when I do, I am not applying all that much torque to them (although this obviously varies somewhat by rider/trails/etc).

Then again, by their lower tooth count, they naturally wear proportionally faster, but still.... this doesn't make sense.

My point exactly. I dont muscle that gear and when I am able to get to use it I already have a head of steam and am most likely headed down hill. Still It shouldnt wear that quick.

I will check the "B" screw to see if its out. My guess is that if its to far in making the derailleur to far away from the cassette then its making the chain not grab at the correct angle, causing the chain to slip over the tooth thus far causing the tooth to round. Does that sound correct? Thanks
    Btw. You may not be able to see the rounded teeth in a photo but I will try and get one and post a pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Shimano HG61....
    My 2011 Enduro Comp has the same cassette and I have had no issues with it. Post up some pics and do what the previous posts have recommended.

You could ride the cassette dry (no lube) in straight mud and it should not wear out this quickly. Some setting needs to be adjusted or something. This is not the norm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't know what type of cassette you have, but on some lower end cassettes the largest cogs are just screwed together. There's a change that those screws have come loose and developed play in the cassette. This would definitely cause some heavy skipping. The easiest solution is to take out the screws and insert every cog and spacer invidually.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    shimano hg61 is correct. Its the 12 tooth that keeps wearing out.
    I tried to post pics last night but I couldnt because the size was too large. I will try and post again tonight when I get home. I know I need to edit my pic some how but cant remember how to do it. Anybody have any advice on how to post a pic?

mtbr member
    shimano hg61 is correct. Its the 12 tooth that keeps wearing out.
    I tried to post pics last night but I couldnt because the size was too large. I will try and post again tonight when I get home. I know I need to edit my pic some how but cant remember how to do it. Anybody have any advice on how to post a pic?
    A free photo editor that you can use is this one:

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Open the picture from your computer go to Image - Image Size and resize the width slider of the picture to 800 (constrain proportions) so it should end up as 800x600. This makes the picture small enough to attach.

File Save - Save it to My Computer with a different name.

You can then compose a post on MTBR and click the Upload Images button to attach the picture to your post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

tooth wear

lets see if this works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sram cassette problems-toothwear.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I checked the b screw and it had the derailleur sitting of the large sprocket about a 1/4" so I backed it out to bring it in closer. Did a test run and everything is shifting good. I was able to ride it yesterday thanks to one of my friends having an extra 12 tooth sprocket. We changed it out and had a good ride down at Manchester in sumter. The trail was really clean and in good shape also. Kudos to those who have worked on it.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I checked the b screw and it had the derailleur sitting of the large sprocket about a 1/4" so I backed it out to bring it in closer. Did a test run and everything is shifting good. I was able to ride it yesterday thanks to one of my friends having an extra 12 tooth sprocket. We changed it out and had a good ride down at Manchester in sumter. The trail was really clean and in good shape also. Kudos to those who have worked on it.
    Good news. I suggest you find another LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does the pic represent what would happen if the B screw is out of adjustment?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Does the pic represent what would happen if the B screw is out of adjustment?
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Look like a bad case of heavy cross-chain.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Haunted
    Look like a bad case of heavy cross-chain.

Quoted for truth.

What the hell are you guys doing on the 12 tooth? You should only be there if you are in the big ring.

Side note: I love SRAM for everything but cassettes. Put an XT or SLX on it. Big difference. But it will still wear out fast if you ride it wrong.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast