mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Sram 2x10 on a 2010 Stumpy FSR Pro with 3x9 front derailleur?

Hi there, looking at buying a 2010 Stumpy FSR Pro frame and would like to build it up with 2x10 Sram X0 components.

The frame has a Shimano XT direct mount front derailleur that is designed for use with a 3x9 drivetrain. The X0 groups I am looking at are not available with a direct mount front derailleur so I'm wondering:

1. Is it possible to control a Front Shimano derailleur with a Sram shifter?

2. Is there any way to use the front derailleur with a 2x10 drivetrain with appropriate shifter?

Any other thoughts on how to make this work besides just buying a DM front derailleur?

Posted in the drivetrain forum too but figured some here may have experience with this?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    The pull ratio for the front derailleur on both Shimano and Sram are the same. Your issue will be how high the derailleur sits compared to you new 2x10 drive train. You can kind of get it to work with your old derailleur but you will suffer extremely poor shifting.

I just went through this on my bike. I ended up getting the appropriate derailleur and the shifting improved dramatically. Make sure you order the right derailleur for your setup too. Sram makes one for their different sizes of rings.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm new to 2x10 and the SJ FSR line, any suggestions on chainring size to go with for an 11-36 cassette?
    I have another bike that I race XC but am buying the Stumpjumper FSR for fun weekend rides with no plans of racing. I am leaning toward the 28/42 but don't want to get stuck having to hike steep hills as I live in an area with a lot of steep climbs. abe the 26/39 would be better?

mtbr member
    I guess that would depend on your fitness and the terrain on which you ride or race. I went with a 26/39 and a 32 tooth 10 speed blingtastic Sram XX cassette. I raced previously with a 27 tooth Dura Ace 9 speed cassette with a 22 tooth ring in front with no problems so I felt the 26 ring/32 tooth combo would be similar.

I would say if you don't use your granny gear much then you should be fine with 28 up front and 36 in back.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"