aL1
    mtbr member

Squeaky front hub

The hub on my front wheel developed a squeak, not a long squeak, but like a squeak, squeak, squeak as I pedal...anyone know what the cause is, and what's involved in getting rid of it? Thanks-
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2008

Noooooo!!!

DO NOT use WD-40 for anything on your bike (except cleaning white bar tape, but that's a different matter). It is not a good lubricant and ultimately just attracts dust and gunk to wherever you spray it.

The problem you are having is that the rubber seal on the hub has too much friction against the hub shell. I see it every now and then on a lot of different bikes with lower-cost hubs, not just Specialized. The way to fix it is to put a very-very-very little bit of chain lubricant in between the rubber seal and the hub shell. Just push back the seal and put a drop or too in along the edge of the seal. Spinning the wheel will spread it, so don't worry about putting it all the way around. Wipe off any extra on the outside of the seal, because this will attract dirt too.

Hope this helps.
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

mtbr member
    May 2008

one more thing...

Oh, and be sure not to get any on your disc brake rotor. That kind of contamination will soak into your brake pads and they would need to be replaced.
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by UpwardSpiral
    DO NOT use WD-40 for anything on your bike ...
    Whoops, I meant...

~Disc~Golf~
    wait... actually I meant...

aL1
    mtbr member
    DO NOT use WD-40 for anything on your bike (except cleaning white bar tape, but that's a different matter). It is not a good lubricant and ultimately just attracts dust and gunk to wherever you spray it.

The problem you are having is that the rubber seal on the hub has too much friction against the hub shell. I see it every now and then on a lot of different bikes with lower-cost hubs, not just Specialized. The way to fix it is to put a very-very-very little bit of chain lubricant in between the rubber seal and the hub shell. Just push back the seal and put a drop or too in along the edge of the seal. Spinning the wheel will spread it, so don't worry about putting it all the way around. Wipe off any extra on the outside of the seal, because this will attract dirt too.

Hope this helps.
    one more thing...
    Oh, and be sure not to get any on your disc brake rotor. That kind of contamination will soak into your brake pads and they would need to be replaced.
    Thanks UpwardSpiral!!
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]