mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Spider removal tool

Where du I find a tool to remove the spider from a Specialized S-Works carbon OSBB crank?

mtbr member
    You can have a dealer order one for you. But, it comes in a kit with other crank tools. I think the kit costs around $200.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This BB tool from Parker Tool also has eight notches, but was designed to remove the lock ring on some older Shimano cranks. It is stocked locally and cost only $15! Will it possibly fit the Specialized spider lock ring?
    Last edited by ErikGBL; 05-20-2010 at 11:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Spider removal tool

Quote Originally Posted by chuckji
    You can have a dealer order one for you. But, it comes in a kit with other crank tools. I think the kit costs around $200.
    I called my dealer here in Norway and the tool (CKM-1009) is not really readily available.

The Other Dude
    I wish that park tool would work, but looking at it i do not thing it will, the specialized crank has the huge spindle that would need to pass through the center of the socket, I would love to own one, but i just cant swallow spending the coin on that tool that I would only use a few times a year. They arent available here in the US at the moment either. Only a few specialized shops in the area actually have the tool, and the ones that do only have the 09 tool for the Road cranks, the new 2010 version has a larger diameter and/or deeper hole for the mountain cranks. I hear they can take it to a machine shop though to make it work for the newer cranks, but none of them have gone that route.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGBL
    This BB tool from Parker Tool also has eight notches, but was designed to remove the lock ring on some older Shimano cranks. It is stocked locally and cost only $15! Will it possibly fit the Specialized spider lock ring?
    Nope, not going to work. What ErikGBL needs is this:

Doesn't your local dealer have one so you could just pay them to change the spider? Or, let you borrow...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Does anyone know where I can purchase this tool?

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase this tool?
    Any specialized dealer can get one for you, but like everything else the price jumped up this year to $250.00
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was able to use the Park green pin spanner last week in a pinch.

Members who have read this thread: 4