Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My gloves stink

Spesh pricing policies and practices, please

Hi folks. I've never had anything to do with Specialized but thae 2013 Epic Marathon has definitely piqued my interest. Questions: are Specialized dealers given any leeway on pricing? If Spesh says the Marathon retails for $7200, is that what it's actually going to sell for? When their stuff goes on sale, do all the dealers offer the same "sale" price?
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

Depends on your LBS and your relationship with them. More than likely it will probably be that price or just slightly lower since the 2013's just came out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The route that I went and some shops will give you a decent amount in shop credit somewhere along the lines of 10% on the bike. Mine let me apply it to a wheelset upgrade. From what I understand the bike shops mark up a lot of the other items (helmets, tires, bottle cages) by about double of what they pay. So while you gain $500, it only costs them $250 or so.

Personally for me if I am going to be taking a 2012 at this point I would be looking at 15% to 20% off on the price. For a 2013 I would be looking at around 8% off or so. Just ask and see where they come back. Talk to the people who have a say in the bike shop and can make things happen. Dropping $7k on a bike is a big deal and most shops wouldn't want to lose the business over a couple hundred $. Shops in my area might have to sell 20 or more budget bikes to make the same profit as a $7k bike will. Shop around. It won't hurt anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Asking for a discount is like me going the grocery store and negotiating for a loaf of bread.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    Asking for a discount is like me going the grocery store and negotiating for a loaf of bread.
    So, buying a $7k bike is like buying a loaf of bread for you? You must have quite a bit of cash to not feel the difference.

Do you also pay full MSRP for a car? What about a $7k+ motorcycle or similar item? I don't see how a $7k bike is any different.

Getting a shop to make a deal for me makes me want to do more business with them.

MTB B'dos
    From what I've been told by other guys who have bought S-Works bikes, they got some fairly decent discounts in the range of about 10%, but then they also bought a whole load of other accessories and stuff or this was their 2nd bike from the shop. Best bet is to ask, never hurts. Will say this though, Specialized IMO is overpriced and you can find other brands bikes of the same quality, weight and components for a good bit less - check Scott for example.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Spesh bikes are marked up a lot. Shop around & try to get the best discount you can find. I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head but the last Spesh bike I purchased I got for $750 below MSRP & no, it wasn't an end of model year sale. A couple of months latter I was offered another bike for $900 below MSRP.

My gloves stink

Overpriced yet compelling

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Specialized IMO is overpriced and you can find other brands bikes of the same quality, weight and components for a good bit less - check Scott for example.
    I agree that they charge top dollar for their stuff and I've always looked elsewhere for value. Two things are drawing me to the 2013 Marathon: a carbon wheelset and the Brain, which in my opinion sets the Epic line apart from everything else out there.

Okay, fire away...

MTB B'dos
    Your 2 things that are leading you in that direction - Meah The Brain, hate it and the idea unless you're a racer boy and only want the edge taken off and the couple guys who own them with the Brain down here seem to agree with me.
    Wheelset, meah, there are others to be found of as good if not better quality and you'd still come in complete under this Specialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    I agree that they charge top dollar for their stuff and I've always looked elsewhere for value. Two things are drawing me to the 2013 Marathon: a carbon wheelset and the Brain, which in my opinion sets the Epic line apart from everything else out there.

Okay, fire away...
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

My gloves stink

You hate "the idea"?

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Your 2 things that are leading you in that direction - Meah The Brain, hate it and the idea unless you're a racer boy and only want the edge taken off and the couple guys who own them with the Brain down here seem to agree with me.
    Wheelset, meah, there are others to be found of as good if not better quality and you'd still come in complete under this Specialized.
    I can see why someone wouldn't like the Brain, it definitely changes a full squish bike into something else...but you hate the idea of it? Please elaborate.

For my part, I demoed a Brain bike and was impressed as heck. In fact, "a racer boy who only wants the edge taken off" is exactly what I am.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Specialize bikes are aleays marked up 10percent for their listed msrp. Some dealer sell it to u at that price, while others claim they discounted 10 percent, which is the undertable regulare consumer price. find a shop that give you an additional 10percent off thediscounted price and you are starting to talk.

mtbr member
    There's room to play especially on a 7k bike. Also paying with cash doesn't hurt. Shop around...someone will give you the deal you want.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MTB B'dos
    You do know how the brain works right, despite them now being fairly adjustable, it still takes the first hit to get it working. other than that it's "locked" off/hard. To me that's no good for a trail bike, much prefer to be in control of when I want my shock locked, open and plush or maybe an in between setting and all this is accomplish-able with many other shocks that have various, easily adjustable on the fly switches/knobs/settings.

I can see why someone wouldn't like the Brain, it definitely changes a full squish bike into something else...but you hate the idea of it? Please elaborate.

For my part, I demoed a Brain bike and was impressed as heck. In fact, "a racer boy who only wants the edge taken off" is exactly what I am.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Specialize bikes are aleays marked up 10percent for their listed msrp. Some dealer sell it to u at that price, while others claim they discounted 10 percent, which is the undertable regulare consumer price. find a shop that give you an additional 10percent off thediscounted price and you are starting to talk.
    It's marked up WAY...more than that!

My gloves stink
    The Epic I rode was the 2011 version, and yes, it did take the first hit to get it working, and IMHO that was a significant flaw, but not a deal breaker. Supposedly that's been improved in subsequent years, but I have no actual experience with that. Regardless, I don't want to fiddle with CTD controls. If I remember to flip it one way, I'll forget to flip it the other. When I'm working hard in a race, I can't even tell my left from my right, let alone flip damper controls.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Well said. If you paid full msrp for your spesh, you didnt make a good deal. Is om on a cheap hardrock or rockhopper where 10percent aint much, but on something like your bike or even an s-work, is like buying a used car without negotiating.

To each his own, but i recently saw an expert fsr stumpy 29er for 4

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Well said. If you paid full msrp for your spesh, you didnt make a good deal. Is om on a cheap hardrock or rockhopper where 10percent aint much, but on something like your bike or even an s-work, is like buying a used car without negotiating.

To each his own, but i recently saw an expert fsr stumpy 29er for 4200. Had some body paid the claimed 5800 msrp listed on spesh website, that would have been some good cash i did spent on something else.

mtbr member
    16% off on my 2013 Stumpy FSR Elite,no complaints. Just started with this new LBS a month ago with a set of Roval Control SL,my old LBS after 3 bikes and 1 set of wheels in just 9 months would only give me 10%. This is how you lose a valuable customer
    Last edited by Devastazione; 09-18-2012 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have established a good contact to my shop and probably buy there every second year. Meanwhile I ordered 4 bikes for some mates. I get 20% on all 2013 bikes in my LBS ;-)

Got the 2012 S-Works Epic 29 for 25% less, the team black/red one which is sold out. Great ride and plush as hell if you want it. Very impressed by the Brain for which really is sensible even in firm settin and offering the full travel - OUTSTANDING!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Getting a shop to make a deal for me makes me want to do more business with them.
    Doesn't mean they want to do more business with you though.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind too, that specialized probably has the dealer sign an agreement that they will not sell bikes on the internet, or below xxx.xx price. At the risk of loosing your specialized dealer status.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Epic I rode was the 2011 version, and yes, it did take the first hit to get it working, and IMHO that was a significant flaw, but not a deal breaker. Supposedly that's been improved in subsequent years, but I have no actual experience with that. Regardless, I don't want to fiddle with CTD controls. If I remember to flip it one way, I'll forget to flip it the other. When I'm working hard in a race, I can't even tell my left from my right, let alone flip damper controls.
    I'm with you in respect to flipping levers. I was forever forgetting to unlock the front forks for descending and that lever was on the bars.
    The 2013 Epic shock is the best yet. It does of course take the first bump to open it up but it does open on the first hit and do its job. The 12/13's now have a circuit that also leaves it active for a bit longer after it is activated so it isn't opening and closing several times over every series of rocks or roots. The 12's and 13's also require a smaller bump to activate. The Epic 29er also makes a great trail bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

...it's all negotiable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2012 bikes should be discounted now

If you are looking at a 2012 it should be 15% off at least. If its still stickered at MSRP your overpaying.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973 View Post
    Keep in mind too, that specialized probably has the dealer sign an agreement that they will not sell bikes on the internet, or below xxx.xx price. At the risk of loosing your specialized dealer status.
    Sure, they can only allow dealers to sell through certain channels, but manufacturers cannot dictate the pricing their dealers sell at, as that would be restraint of trade in violation of antitrust law. (MAP pricing only dictates the minimum a product can be advertised for, but the retailer can still sell for less)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast