mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Speicalized Epic Fork. Best choice?

Awaiting 2010 Epic frame. Need a fork. Fox rlc100 vs. Rock shox SID vs Fox rlc 120, vs. Fox TALAS. XC rider with occasional rough stuff.

mtbr member
    I don't know if they sell it separately, but if you can get one, you should get the Specialized E100. It was made specifically for your bike and nothing else.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nothing wrong with the fox float or the rs sid,tough choice, i'd probably stick with 100mm though.

Mines 29
    Fox F100 RLC or RockShox SID XX
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I don't know if they sell it separately, but if you can get one, you should get the Specialized E100. It was made specifically for your bike and nothing else.
    the E100 is a 1 1/8 to 1.5" tapered steerer tube, right? So you need a frame that accepts that, meaning the higher end carbon ones. I really want a futureshock fork, too, but I don't have a bike with the right headtube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if you are getting the alum. marathon frame I would rec. the Fox F100 RLC. If you are getting the S-Works I would look at either the E100 or the Fox. Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    the E100 is a 1 1/8 to 1.5" tapered steerer tube, right? So you need a frame that accepts that, meaning the higher end carbon ones. I really want a futureshock fork, too, but I don't have a bike with the right headtube.
    You're right. I thought I read somewhere that they would offer it this year in a straight 1 1/8 tube and the tapered version, but I could have been imagining that. If you can't get an E100 to work, I would go with a Fox.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Howell, MI

Fox F100x

Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

cougarbait
    don't forget magura durin and DT Swiss XMM and XMC
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the input you all. The frame I'm expecting (paid for in full in August) is the S Works Epic. It has the tapered head but comes with an adaptor for standard 1 1/8 fork. Any thoughts on using Talas fork, running at 100, with having options for longer travel if needed? A guy told me this was his set up. Bad idea, good, don't know?

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtoothlesslion
    Thanks for the input you all. The frame I'm expecting (paid for in full in August) is the S Works Epic. It has the tapered head but comes with an adaptor for standard 1 1/8 fork. Any thoughts on using Talas fork, running at 100, with having options for longer travel if needed? A guy told me this was his set up. Bad idea, good, don't know?
    good idea on a stumpy, not an expensive s-works epic
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    May 2009
    for a epic, NO its a xc race bike, talas is too heavy + you wont use all the travel of it
    theres no need of >100mm travel for an epic, having same travel on f&r will make the bike ride more balance, go for a 2010 fox F100rlc with tapered headtube and fit damper, u wont regard it
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    for a epic, NO its a xc race bike,
    If you want the Talas, then save a ton of money and step away from the S-works. For me, a motivation for going as high end as an S-works would be specifically for getting my hands on the futureshock E100 fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    for a epic, NO its a xc race bike, talas is too heavy + you wont use all the travel of it
    theres no need of >100mm travel for an epic, having same travel on f&r will make the bike ride more balance, go for a 2010 fox F100rlc with tapered headtube and fit damper, u wont regard it

i dont think they make a tapered headtube, only 1 1/8

mtbr member
    May 2009
    opps sorry they dont do it on the xc f -seies but they do on others model
    cheers for correcting me:]
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks again. Looks like Fox 100 is the winner. The frame comes with an adaptor to fit the 1 1/8 steer tube. Still might look at the Future Shock but I suspect it is priced out of reach.

Howell, MI
    Thanks again. Looks like Fox 100 is the winner. The frame comes with an adaptor to fit the 1 1/8 steer tube. Still might look at the Future Shock but I suspect it is priced out of reach.
    Remember the Fox teralogic F100X works like the Future Shock. The reason Fox stopped making it was patent issues with Specialized. I changed from an 80mm SID on my Epic to the F80X, and it was the best upgrade I've ever done by far. It works just like the Brain. I notice it on the climbs as well as the flats. Efficient as a hardtail with a carbon fork when the terrain is flat, and nicely sprung when needed.

MD
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i like this thread. i jsut picked up a new 08 epic marathon frame and dont have the coin for the proper fork right now. i will be putting on my talas and running it at 100-120 (most likely NOT 140) and will see which travel feels better. im sure 100 will be optimal, but i am curious jsut how 120 will feel and if it will be a good tradeoff worth exploring

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm going to put a 2008 Rockshox SID Team on my Specialized S-works Epic at 100mm. It's an awesome shock and pretty light, it's not tapered but you get get adapter from Specialized when ordering the frame.

The futureshock is another 1000 dollars MSRP option when ordering the frame, I'm sure can get it for 800 through LBS!?!?

The SID retails for 750 and I got it for 350ish, so not worth it to get something that is potentially lighter but not any better or worse. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    More thoughts. I have a line on a new DT Swiss XMC 100. Also the e100's are available for about the same price. Any thoughts on the two vs each other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was going to use my fox f100 rlc, but the shop worked with me on getting and E100. Can't wait to get some time on it.