mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Speed difference between epic and SJ FSR?

My heart say SJ FSR but my brain (lol) say epic.

What's the actual speed difference between the two when the track is a mixture of everything?

I think I do mostly endurance stuff, but I really wish I had a SJ for some portions of the tracks. My rides are usually 3-5 hours long with focus on speed, not TOO much climbing.

The obvious answer is that i should get a Camber, but I really don't want the ugly sister, I'm more in love the the SJ.

I'm also very tall, so I will definitely need an XL, so I guess SJ looks better haha

One good thing is that if I get the SJ I can use it for annual trips down to the alps or northern Sweden. I would love to do what Matt Hunter did in 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JupfzlWSc

SJ is the best all round machine but I don't want to miss to much speed. All my ride buddies rides epic

So what do you guys think? Have anyone actually done a speed test between the two bikes? I think I can put on lighter tires and give the shock just a little more air the few times I race and be happier with the SJ on my weekly rides?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

An Epic is faster every where until you get to some decent chunk on the downhill. The longer the ride, the bigger the gap is as you use way less energy on an Epic. I had both bikes, I sold the Epic, because the group I ride with all have long travel bikes. My SJ FSR is around 26lbs, so it does pretty good every where.

Last week I went on a 35 mile epic ride, Noble canyon in San Diego, so there is decent chunk on the way down. There were 4 of us: 2 XC bikes, my SJ FSR & Enduro 29r. By the time we got to the downhill we were at 25 miles & hammered. I could barely keep the XC bikes in sight fighting off cramping & the slowest guy was on the Enduro & he was hammered by the time we got back to the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    3-5 hour rides? The Epic would be the way to go. I've never owned a SJ but have owned many Epics. You can adjust the brain so it's pretty plush for 'downhill' applications. I'm sure the SJ is substantially faster on the downhill but the efficiency lost on the flats and climbs will definitely make the Epic the faster bike.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    I own both. Epic is a lot faster, but the bikes are way too different to compare. Learned to enjoy the Stumpy fsr a lot more lately,so my Epic is now for sale. I guess the Camber is the bike for me,but not without the Brain.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the actual difference in time over a 4 hour ride with not TOO much climbing will be small. I would guess less then 2%. Age old what bike to buy advice but I will say it again. Test ride. As expensive as bikes are these days try and get a 3 hour ride on both bikes. There is a big difference in geometry between the 2 and you might find you like the racier/slacker feel of one bike respectively.

Personally for rides of that length I would choose the epic. However I have been riding xc race bikes for a decade so it just feels right to me. Test ride both then decide
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member

Camber splits the difference and you could build up a carbon version darn light.

Sent from the trails.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Camber. Even without the brain it's still a good climber and very nimble.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

There's always next year.
    Camber's been getting some great reviews recently... from the lower models to the blinged out Carbon EVO. With all that said, I love my Epic for everything I ride. It replaced a 140mm bike, and I got faster on everything I rode, including some technical singletrack track. It comes down to where you ride.5 hours in chunk, I'd lean towards a SJ or Camber. 5 hours of XC (is that what 'speed' is to you?) Epic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Had a similar dilemma recently. I went for the SJ. Even though I participate some XCM races, I'm not going for a win so I thought SJ is more comfy and makes more sense for my application. I changed the wheels and tires to very light ones (Roval Control SL) though to bump up the speed part of the bike. Next bike will probably be Camber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Camber. Even without the brain it's still a good climber and very nimble.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it is,but I'm too used having the shock doing it's thing by itself,that is just priceless and I feel sorry for my friends when I see them flicking levers ( or forgetting to do so) before a steep trail..
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I own both. Epic is a lot faster, but the bikes are way too different to compare. Learned to enjoy the Stumpy fsr a lot more lately,so my Epic is now for sale. I guess the Camber is the bike for me,but not without the Brain.
    Im in the same boat as you. I own both and my epic climbs, accelerates so much faster then my SJ FSR....I have found in tight technical terrain the SJ FSR feels a bit awkward compared to my Epic. I love my epic, and I have slacked it up a bit to make it more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I'm sure it is,but I'm too used having the shock doing it's thing by itself,that is just priceless and I feel sorry for my friends when I see them flicking levers ( or forgetting to do so) before a steep trail..
    Yeah, I see your point. I guess it just depends on your trails. 80% of the trails I ride are short steep descents followed by short (100yards +/- 30), steep, rooty, gravel covered climbs. 98% of the time I just leave the shocks in trail mode. Most of the people in our group ride either Epics, or Cambers with one fellow on a SJ and a couple of Rumble Fish.

Sup
    I have had a 2011 epic, 2012 stumpy with brain and 2013 stumpy with cdt , I find the tires make a bigger difference on performance more than anything. the stumpy cdt is my old man back's favorite , never liked riding the epic more than a couple of hours the stumpy I could ride all day. carbon rovals and a renagade on the back will make almost any bike fly
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Just bought an Epic '11 after owning a SJ '02 for 5 years. I love them both. Just wanted something lighter with more adjustable stuff. I just hope the BRAIN doesn't give me a lot of problems down the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have an epic,i rented a stumpjumper elite last year in Hawaii for three days,great bike,
    climbs good.Only thing i would say is change the gearing on it,I found the front chain rings too small.I'd say if you had the same gearing as the epic it would be a lot better.Not sure what the rear cassette is.
    The epic is definitely racier,your in a racy riding position on the epic while the stumpy your sitting up a lot more.
    2013 epic comp
    2013 supersix evo