Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Thieves Suck
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40

    Specialized Website Updated to 2006!


  2. #2
    mmm
    Reputation: timehoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogerPEZ
    Sweet...a seven hundred dollar hardrock.

  3. #3
    otbmbc.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    172
    Awsome!

    Looks like only the Carbon Stumpys are getting the extra travel (130mm).

    I thought ALL 06 Stumpys were going to have 130mm.

  4. #4
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    looks like the S Works Stumpy alu frame's price has gone up.... Now it's not Septune, but it's brain, so its 500$ more...

  5. #5
    K n e e m o i
    Reputation: Daffunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    looks like the S Works Stumpy alu frame's price has gone up.... Now it's not Septune, but it's brain, so its 500$ more...

    Heh heh heh......7100 dollar S-Works Epic and SJ........ Can anybody say, LUDICROUS??????

    I think only sponsored pro racers would be riding that one. You'd have to be on crack to buy that bike if you are just a weekend enthusiast. Giant's NRS??? carbon MTB is nowhere close to 7 grand.

  6. #6
    Old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    65
    I don't get the geometry specs on some bikes, like the Enduros. Per frame size there are two top tube measures and a bunch for angles/BB height...
    I get the point of low/high measures for the different shock mounting shuttles but what about short/mid/long?
    I'm officially confused
    Yeah baby!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by *micke*
    I don't get the geometry specs on some bikes, like the Enduros. Per frame size there are two top tube measures and a bunch for angles/BB height...
    I get the point of low/high measures for the different shock mounting shuttles but what about short/mid/long?
    I'm officially confused
    If I remember correctly, JakeWake said that the '06 would have the short/mid/long travel modes included. For instance, my '05 SJ 120 has a Black fork with RTWD. The short would be set at 90 mm, the mid at 105 mm and the long at 120 mm. That's the way I understood it... enough rambling, now I'm off to officially check out the site!!

    P.S. For the person above who mentioned the Giant NRS carbon, no they're not $7k... they're simply not available in 2006. Well, from what I've gathered snooping around the Giant board. I too think it's too much money for me, I'll stick to the Comp level myself!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnbiker1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    716
    Wonder why specialized switched to SRAM this year? Somebody at Specialized must really hate rapid rise and/or integration.

  9. #9
    MTB'er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    Heh heh heh......7100 dollar S-Works Epic and SJ........ Can anybody say, LUDICROUS??????

    I think only sponsored pro racers would be riding that one. You'd have to be on crack to buy that bike if you are just a weekend enthusiast. Giant's NRS??? carbon MTB is nowhere close to 7 grand.

    Oh c'mon, $7K for a bike sounds a lot? Maybe, but $4K sounded the same a few years ago and most bikers wouldn't hesitate to spend that amount now. It's subjective. It's like buying a car. Most models offer the same basic functionality but definitely it's not the same buying a Toyota than a Ferrari. Does a 12 cylinder engine with shifting behind the steering wheel justify the $200K or so difference? Again, it depends.

    For me, the price is high but you're getting what you're paying for: a light carbon frame, some of the best components and the best rear suspension system on the market (talking about pedal efficiency). Besides, the new Stumpjumper looks pretty darn good. The only bad thing is I have to wait until December to get mine (which I already ordered). I'm not even near to be a sponsored pro racer but I'll be a very happy mtn biker on a carbon Stumpy

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    Wonder why specialized switched to SRAM this year? Somebody at Specialized must really hate rapid rise and/or integration.
    Wait.... Do you LIKE rapid rise and the brifters and having to use shimano brakes if you want to use their rear derraileurs?

    So you're the one

  11. #11
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,754

    front rotor size on SJ FSR and FSR XC

    Did anybody else notice that L and XL sizes of the SJ and FSR XC come with 185mm front rotors now...... maybe I am mistaken but I don't remember that frame size / rotor size relation before.

    Looks like a good idea to me.

    Cheers,
    Cris

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Did anybody else notice that L and XL sizes of the SJ and FSR XC come with 185mm front rotors now...... maybe I am mistaken but I don't remember that frame size / rotor size relation before.

    Looks like a good idea to me.

    Cheers,
    Cris
    I noticed it at the begining of the year, when I was doind research on the XC PRO I ended up buying. I about ready to get rid of it so I can get an '06 SJ PRO, the real ****!

  13. #13
    K n e e m o i
    Reputation: Daffunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by SALAS331GT
    I noticed it at the begining of the year, when I was doind research on the XC PRO I ended up buying. I about ready to get rid of it so I can get an '06 SJ PRO, the real ****!

    Oh boy, another one of those, "I must have the latest and greatest or I'm going to go insane!" type of people.

    C'mon man, you have an 05 Pro, it's not like that bike is crap compared to the 06. Many hobbies, (cars, motorcycles, etc) are hobbies of trends and innovations, (you are a mechanical engineer so why the hell am I tellin ya this?) and these products are going to change for the better. (or sometimes worse) Dude, once you start, you're not gonna stop man, it's like crack, you're just gonna keep chasing the trends and spending money.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-28-2005 at 07:09 PM.

  14. #14
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,754

    I am not sure..

    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    Oh boy, another one of those, "I must have the latest and greatest or I'm going to go insane!" type of people.

    C'mon man, you have an 05 Pro, it's not like that bike is crap compared to the 06. Many hobbies, (cars, motorcycles, etc) are hobbies of trends and innovations, (you are a mechanical engineer so why the hell am I tellin ya this?) and these products are going to change for the better. (or sometimes worse) Dude, once you start, you're not gonna stop man, it's like crack, you're just gonna keep chasing the trends and spending money.

    but I think he meant that he has an 2005 FSR XC Pro and is upgrading to an 2006 SJ FSR Pro, which is a worthwhile upgrade I believe.

    Cheers,
    Cris

  15. #15
    Old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild74
    If I remember correctly, JakeWake said that the '06 would have the short/mid/long travel modes included. For instance, my '05 SJ 120 has a Black fork with RTWD. The short would be set at 90 mm, the mid at 105 mm and the long at 120 mm. That's the way I understood it... enough rambling, now I'm off to officially check out the site!!

    P.S. For the person above who mentioned the Giant NRS carbon, no they're not $7k... they're simply not available in 2006. Well, from what I've gathered snooping around the Giant board. I too think it's too much money for me, I'll stick to the Comp level myself!
    That makes sense Thanks!
    Yeah baby!

  16. #16
    RFKA Coldsnap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    655
    Seems like 2005 was a year of reasonably low prices compared to 2006. Lifetime frame warranty or not, I'm not impressed with their $2800 price tag on the BigHit III. I can get a lot more for that money elsewhere in terms of wheels, suspension travel, and quality of rear shock and fork, namely from the 2006 Norco A-Line. Bah I say.

    A hardtail is a hardtail and I can't imagine why anyone would spend more than $2000 on one though. It's not even like you're going to feel that much difference in the ride for godssakes. I'll never understand hardcore XC/weight weenies though. S'all about "flossin' the bling" I guess. But I digress...

    Too bad about the prices.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

  17. #17
    K n e e m o i
    Reputation: Daffunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    but I think he meant that he has an 2005 FSR XC Pro and is upgrading to an 2006 SJ FSR Pro, which is a worthwhile upgrade I believe.

    Cheers,
    Cris
    My bad. I didn't read it carefully. Then yes, it is a worthwhile upgrade.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    520
    I saw the new carbon and said I got to have that so I went to my bank to ask for a loan. I got denied. The manager said it's an F'n bicycle. It doesn't even have a motor. And then laughed. So what does that tell ya?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    13

    Brakes info on '06 SJ Pro...

    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Did anybody else notice that L and XL sizes of the SJ and FSR XC come with 185mm front rotors now...... maybe I am mistaken but I don't remember that frame size / rotor size relation before.

    Looks like a good idea to me.

    Cheers,
    Cris

    I can't tell from the R side of the bike on the Specialized site, but are the rotors the 6 hole type or the center lock type (shimano hub specific)???

    What I mean to ask is can the brake system be changed to, say, Avid's new Juicy Carbons without changing the hubs?

    Thanks

  20. #20
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,754

    Even if they were CLs...

    Quote Originally Posted by etfireman
    I can't tell from the R side of the bike on the Specialized site, but are the rotors the 6 hole type or the center lock type (shimano hub specific)???

    What I mean to ask is can the brake system be changed to, say, Avid's new Juicy Carbons without changing the hubs?

    Thanks

    you can use adapters like the DT Swiss one to mount six hole rotos on CL hubs. But Specialized usually uses six hole rotors even with shimano brakes.

    Cheers,
    Cris

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Did anybody else notice that L and XL sizes of the SJ and FSR XC come with 185mm front rotors now...... maybe I am mistaken but I don't remember that frame size / rotor size relation before.

    Looks like a good idea to me.

    Cheers,
    Cris
    My 2005 FSR Expert L came with a 185mm front rotor (Juicy 7's).

  22. #22
    K n e e m o i
    Reputation: Daffunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    I saw the new carbon and said I got to have that so I went to my bank to ask for a loan. I got denied. The manager said it's an F'n bicycle. It doesn't even have a motor. And then laughed. So what does that tell ya?

    haha...

    At least the way I feel, if you have to take out a frickin loan to get the bicycle, then you probably shouldn't be riding that bicycle. What would you do if it gets stolen? My personal belief is that, If you can't really afford to have the bike stolen, (not that it should happen) then that bike is probably too expensive for you.

    I personally don't think that I am worthy of the carbon S-Works. Too expensive and too awesome. I feel that those bikes are for serious sponsored pros and ex-pro racers, and not weekend warrior who only races once in a while, and a racer wannabe.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-30-2005 at 04:11 AM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisjohn78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    88
    Keep it real folks, 7k for a pedal bike? The bike manufactures are laughing their way to their vacation homes. For that kind of money, one can buy a serious racing four stroke from Honda/Yamaha/KTM/Suzuki.

    Don't believe the hype, there is no way that a pedal bike is intrinsically expensive as off road motorcycle. Their suspension is light years bigger, and they come with a throttle.

    I love mountain bikes, so don't take this as an anti-bike rant. There are six bicycles in my apartment at the moment. It’s a simple question of what the consumer will pay. Remember when racing hard tails were 2k+? Yep, we all do, and they sold well. Now you’d be hard pressed to spend that one of the larger manufactures hard tails. Folks dig carbon and long travel and are willing to “pay” for it.

    Bought an SJ FSR Expert Disc in ’04 for 1700 bucks, and now the same bike is retailing for 2800! 2 inches of travel for 1100 bucks! That’s good entry level road ride.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    haha...

    At least the way I feel, if you have to take out a frickin loan to get the bicycle, then you probably shouldn't be riding that bicycle. What would you do if it gets stolen? My personal belief is that, If you can't really afford to have the bike stolen, (not that it should happen) then that bike is probably too expensive for you.

    I personally don't think that I am worthy of the carbon S-Works. Too expensive and too awesome. I feel that those bikes are for serious sponsored pros and ex-pro racers, and not weekend warrior who only races once in a while, and a racer wannabe.

    Why do you think the prices are so high on bikes today. It's because plastic is the way people pay for crap. It's what the market will bare and people can charge anything to credit. Therefore most bike purchases are bought on credit. I don't know one person who has paid cash for a bike and we're not talking Wallymart Specials.

    I have a bunch of bikes, Merlin, Specialized FSR, Cannondale F700, Opera, and lots of spare parts. I race MTB and I'm definately more than a weekend warrior. 4600 miles logged this year. Anyway, they are all top end and I can't afford to have any of it stolen. WTF kind of crap logic is that anyway? Unless you know me keep your mouth shut so you don't appear so stupid. $7100 is way to much to pay for a bike like that. Period!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    417
    I'm going to be going for an 06 Epic. And No I will not be putting it on a credit card. I ought to have the cash in hand when I walk in and order it. Cold hard cash!!!!!!
    I gave up buying on credit since it costs so much more in the long run.

    Plus you think twice when laying out the hard earned cash. And I will enjoy handing that cash over.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •