mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Specialized vs Specialized S-Works

What is the difference between a regular Specialized and a S-Works?

On the Specialized web site the S-Works Enduro lists for a mind-numbing $5700.00, while the Specialized Enduro Pro lists for $4100.00.

What's the difference between these bikes? Just the components or is there more to it?

I can't find anything on the Specialized web site that explains what S-Works means or how it's better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by twlobb

On the Specialized web site the S-Works Enduro lists for a mind-numbing $5700.00, while the Specialized Enduro Pro lists for $4100.00.

What's the difference between these bikes? Just the components or is there more to it?

I can't find anything on the Specialized web site that explains what S-Works means or how it's better.
    i may be wrong,but here it goes,s-works bikes are specialized's hot rod bikes.they are stiffer,lighter,way faster,and expensive!but they are the absolutly cutting edge of what specialized has to offer.they have new technologies such as the m5 frames,and o.r.e.tubing shapes.expensive yes,but worth every penny to me.there the standard to which every big s bike is judged.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by epicmadness
    i may be wrong,but here it goes,s-works bikes are specialized's hot rod bikes.they are stiffer,lighter,way faster,and expensive!but they are the absolutly cutting edge of what specialized has to offer.they have new technologies such as the m5 frames,and o.r.e.tubing shapes.expensive yes,but worth every penny to me.there the standard to which every big s bike is judged.
    Specialized claims that it is stiffer, but it is not noticeable. Way faster? Way overstatement. Ligher, yes, but mainly from lighter and expensive components.

I think there is a huge difference between the 06 CARBON S-WORKS and the Aluminum Non Sworks.

However, there is not a significant difference between the Aluminum S-WORKS and Aluminum Non-sworks. I have ridden them both on the trails, 10+Miles, and besides the nice stiff crossmax rims, tubeless tires and the F100X fork, (I admit, FX fork is nice) it is just a standard epic. (I don't think the M5 frame difference is significant) Yes, It does feel light, mainly from the high-end components that are on the bike, but stiffer? I don't think so. When I bought my epic, I couldn't justify the ridiculous price tage for the S-Works, so I just upgraded the Non-Sworks version, and now it weighs around 26lbs.

mtbr member

I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    Specialized claims that it is stiffer, but it is not noticeable. Way faster? Way overstatement. Ligher, yes, but mainly from lighter and expensive components.

I think there is a huge difference between the 06 CARBON S-WORKS and the Aluminum Non Sworks.

However, there is not a significant difference between the Aluminum S-WORKS and Aluminum Non-sworks. I have ridden them both on the trails, 10+Miles, and besides the nice stiff crossmax rims, tubeless tires and the F100X fork, (I admit, FX fork is nice) it is just a standard epic. (I don't think the M5 frame difference is significant) Yes, It does feel light, mainly from the high-end components that are on the bike, but stiffer? I don't think so. When I bought my epic, I couldn't justify the ridiculous price tage for the S-Works, so I just upgraded the Non-Sworks version, and now it weighs around 26lbs.
    In my opinion, the main difference is the parts spec. The frames are almost the same, even M5 vs. M4 because a rumor says that the S-Works models use M5 only in the down tube.
    Sometimes the S-Works frame weighs more than the regular model - for example 04 Sworks Enduro vs "normal" Enduro but this is because of the Brain shock.

Anyway, compared to aluminum S-works models, the non-S-works models are much more bang for the buck, especially the Marathon models where you usually get same fork & some other stuff as the S-works model.

I have myself a 04 S-Works Enduro and I switched from a 02 Enduro FSR. The only noticeable thing was the functionality of the Brain shock, nothing else. My 02 Enduro was already much lighter than S-Works model, thanks to a clever parts pick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

does it make sence?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    In my opinion, the main difference is the parts spec. The frames are almost the same, even M5 vs. M4 because a rumor says that the S-Works models use M5 only in the down tube.
    Sometimes the S-Works frame weighs more than the regular model - for example 04 Sworks Enduro vs "normal" Enduro but this is because of the Brain shock.

Anyway, compared to aluminum S-works models, the non-S-works models are much more bang for the buck, especially the Marathon models where you usually get same fork & some other stuff as the S-works model.

I have myself a 04 S-Works Enduro and I switched from a 02 Enduro FSR. The only noticeable thing was the functionality of the Brain shock, nothing else. My 02 Enduro was already much lighter than S-Works model, thanks to a clever parts pick.
    mabey i'm wrong but......if you shop around, you can pick up a late year s-works for what a stripped down,comp,or pro, or marathon.it makes absolutly no sense to buy the base model epic,which is heavy!or enduro and then upgrade new parts on a new bike?i think specialized will get them much cheaper than you will.honestly,how much do you have in your upgraded bike that ways 26lbs???mines at around 24.for 3200 bucks a steal if you ask me?but im no expert,just trying to help out

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by twlobb

s-works is definitely lighter and stiffer. Of course parts are lighter and higher end as well, but it mostly has to do with the frame.

Beyond the stars

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    Ligher, yes, but mainly from lighter and expensive components.

However, there is not a significant difference between the Aluminum S-WORKS and Aluminum Non-sworks.

My wife has a Medium Enduro Pro 03' and I have an XL S-Works Enduro 03' so these are the two things I am comparing . . .

Same forks . . .
    both have XTR dual control shifters, both have carbon fiber handlebars . . .

if you take off both wheelsets and seatposts/seats . . . the only component differences are XTR front and rear deraillers(sp) on mine and XT on her's (that's only a few grams)

here's the kicker . . . my XL frame is still 3 lbs lighter

theM5 aluminum is impregnated with some sort of ceramic something or the other that makes it lighter and (so they say) stiffer . . .

In 03' and 04' the price for the higher end S-Works was more reasonable, now . . . it's just stupid expensive and not worth in my opinion

But it is Different

mtbr member
    mabey i'm wrong but......if you shop around, you can pick up a late year s-works for what a stripped down,comp,or pro, or marathon.it makes absolutly no sense to buy the base model epic,which is heavy!or enduro and then upgrade new parts on a new bike?i think specialized will get them much cheaper than you will.honestly,how much do you have in your upgraded bike that ways 26lbs???mines at around 24.for 3200 bucks a steal if you ask me?but im no expert,just trying to help out
    Well, maybe in the States, but you won't find that many S-Works bargain in Europe...
    I bought the 02 Enduro (whole bike) for about a half of its MRSP. Then I sold the parts that I didn't want unused and got a nice sum of cash from them. I bought the light parts from eBay and German netshops for much cheaper than their shop prices were.
    I got it down to 25.19 lbs for about 3500 eur. The S-Works Enduro costs about 5000€ around here. And now I have exactly the parts spec that I want.

I also built a custom Epic Marathon (25.11 lbs) for my girlfriend same way for about 2500 eur. The basic Epic costs 2790 eur here in Finland.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker

My wife has a Medium Enduro Pro 03' and I have an XL S-Works Enduro 03' so these are the two things I am comparing . . .

Same forks . . .

if you take off both wheelsets and seatposts/seats . . . the only component differences are XTR front and rear deraillers(sp) on mine and XT on her's (that's only a few grams)

theM5 aluminum is impregnated with some sort of ceramic something or the other that makes it lighter and (so they say) stiffer . . .

In 03' and 04' the price for the higher end S-Works was more reasonable, now . . . it's just stupid expensive and not worth in my opinion

But it is Different
    I guess I shouldn't have overgeneralized. For the EPIC, I don't think there is much difference, since it is not bulky like the enduro. I have not ridden the Enduro so I believe that the S-works enduro is lighter. I have ridden both epics and that is why I spoke out. I don't know. I guess this argument is a tossup.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-22-2005 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker

Same forks . . .

But it is Different
    First of all, it possibly CAN'T BE 3 lbs lighter, that's freaking 1,5 kgs!

My medium 02 Enduro frame incl. shock weighed 2757g and current medium 04 S-Works Enduro weighs 3018g. The Weight Weenies site lists 03 medium size Enduro about 2,8-2,9 kgs and 03 XL sixe S-Works Enduro 3,2 kgs. So, I'm wondering how your XL frame could be lighter than the medium ??? Also when you keep in mind that S-Works Enduro has M5 tubing in down tube only. The monocoque is A1 aluminum.

The weight differency between same sized S-Works Enduro and Specialized Enduro comes from anodizing vs. paint and that's about 50-70g at most. The different tubing saves weight maybe 20g and al water bottle bolts a few grams.

Beyond the stars

Yea, I don't know why it is, but it is lighter . . .

her's is 30 lbs (size M frame) and mine is 27 lbs (size XL frame) . . .

granted we used a crappy bathroom scale just for a joke to see what it came out to be . . .

I was as suprised as you . . . but it feels lighter, and it rides lighter

I think I have heavy-er tires, but the rims are the same, the brakes are the same, so if it's only the downtube . . .
    somehow it's making a noticeable difference . . .

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    s-works is definitely lighter and stiffer. Of course parts are lighter and higher end as well, but it mostly has to do with the frame.
    I guess it is kinda reasonable to get the old S-Works at the end of the season when all the next year models are coming out, since it goes down in price dramatically.

If I had a choice between a 3800 dollar THIS year's NON-Sworks and a 3200 last year's S-Works, it would make sense to go for the S-Works. Damn, If I found a brand new S-Works epic for 3200, I would have bought it there and then, even if it was last year's model. But, if you're comparing the two bikes in the same model year, 5500 for the S-Works and 3000 for the non-sworks...........then I think getting the S-Works version at that time is simply dumb for what you get. (It is almost like you are paying for the S-Works name.) If you're talking about the new carbon fiber epic, then it's a whole different story. (Too bad it will retail around 7000 dollars.) Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-22-2005 at 02:20 PM.

K n e e m o i
    I found a post to clarify this discussion.

There are more differences, like the titanium brake studs and the alloy water bottle screws for example! I put a size "L" S-Works Epic and an M4 (replacement) frame on the scale with all the hardware (studs, seatpost clamp, screws). The weights were the following:

S-Works: 2585 gr
    M4 (Painted): 2760 gr

The anodized M4 should be about half way between the two.

-b

So the difference is 175g. Between the anodized, the difference should be around 90 to 100g. Is this difference worth it to you? Maybe, maybe not. Some people think Hummers are worth driving. I just don't think it is worth it UNLESS if you get an awesome deal on the S-Works like what the epicmadness guy says.

mtbr member
    24lbs is really light for an epic. You can't do that without a lot of compromises (ultralight fork (SID), no disc brakes and ultra-light wheels (and tires)) This would be a nice race bike but would not feel (handle) like a bike built with a less compromised build.

26lbs is very light for an epic with a F-100(x) and disc brakes. To even get there requires light discs and a super-light build (ie X-Max SL's and full XTR or careful selection of 3rd party stuff)

There is barely a difference between the weight of the '05 epic and '05 epic S-works frames (carbon link is about the only substantial difference and I doubt that comes to much over 40g difference) The biggest change in the epic was ''04 where they dropped a half pound off the frame (and of course '06 where the S-works went carbon)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

thats what i'm talkin 'bout

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    24lbs is really light for an epic. You can't do that without a lot of compromises (ultralight fork (SID), no disc brakes and ultra-light wheels (and tires)) This would be a nice race bike but would not feel (handle) like a bike built with a less compromised build.

26lbs is very light for an epic with a F-100(x) and disc brakes. To even get there requires light discs and a super-light build (ie X-Max SL's and full XTR or careful selection of 3rd party stuff)

There is barely a difference between the weight of the '05 epic and '05 epic S-works frames (carbon link is about the only substantial difference and I doubt that comes to much over 40g difference) The biggest change in the epic was ''04 where they dropped a half pound off the frame (and of course '06 where the S-works went carbon)
    i havent weighed it lately,but i kno for sure it's around 26.5 lbs,i do have the mavic x-max sl's,and full xtr driv-train,and the f100x fork, i also have triple ti egg beaters,and a sram hollow pin chain, race face deus stem,its an s-works epic disc,dual control and xtr discs,i run specialized roll x tires,tube less,no sealent. the local shop has a 05 s-works epic disc, matte black on sale for 3200 bucks,and a 03 with rim brakes,and dt swiss wheels,and sid world cup for like 2300 bucks.there's deals to be had just gotta ask.i just realized i posted an error in my last post,my epic weight should have said 26-26.5 not 24. grumpy's correct,sorry my mistake.
    Last edited by epicmadness; 09-23-2005 at 01:43 PM.