mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Specialized Top Tube Length - Horizontal vs Actual

Could someone tell me what's the differences between these two? Also, if I wanted to compare the Top Tube Length between the Mykar FSR and another bike, say a Trek, Giant, etc... do I compare it to the Horizontal or Actual on the Mykar FSR?

Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 542mm
    Top Tube Length (Actual) 509mm

Thank You!

Slow But Still Pedaling
    If the top tube is not horizontal, shouldn't that number be shorter? Misprint in their specs?

mtbr member
    No that is correct. The horizontal is measured across from where the seat tube would theatrically be the same height as the top or middle of the head tube.
    here's an image to help you out

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Ah, got it. So your "horizontal" measurement actually changes a little with seat tube angle too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF
    Ah, got it. So your "horizontal" measurement actually changes a little with seat tube angle too.
    Yup.

To translate that image. The horizontal top tube length is also called the effective top tube length.

When comparing bikes this is the measurement you should pay attention to between bikes as it is what affects the size of your cockpit (along with seat setback, stem length and bar sweep angles).

Cheers!