Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Your killing my Strava
    Reputation: vinnyl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    535

    Specialized Tires

    My 2011 Enduro came with a 2.3 Clutch Control. What other front tire have you tried and recommend? Specialized brand
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,994
    Depends on what you are riding. I have used the Renegade, Fast Trak LK, Captain and Purgatory to good effect on different terrain.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    81
    Currently run the captain for loose gravelly conditions, works very well.

  4. #4
    Your killing my Strava
    Reputation: vinnyl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    535
    mixture of everything. I was looking at the Purgatory 2.4
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

  5. #5
    Mountain Man Dan
    Reputation: ProjectDan35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,181
    The new Ground Control ( 2.3 ) and the new Fast Trak. Definitely a couple of the best tires Spesh makes now.

    The new Fast Trak is a mix between the Renegade and a Captain, and the Ground Control is a mix between the Captain and the Purgatory. Best of both worlds, they're light also, and have great rubber.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,994
    Gor for something like Purgatory up front and either captain or ground control out back.

    Definitely control version though. Walking your bike out sucks after you have torn the sidewall of a s-works tyre.

  7. #7
    <100%
    Reputation: jsj3831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    581
    I am using a Purgatory 2.4 F & R. Very happy with them. I may go a little smaller up front next time - the 2.4 barely fits in the E150 and is polishing the underside of the arch.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    I run the Ground Control 2.1 front and Captain 2.0 rear in 29er. Excellent traction in mud and decomposing granite at last weekends race.. was like it was stuck to the ground and wouldn't slide at all!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    He's got an Enduro guys, not an Epic or something..
    Go for something at least 2.2, my '12 Enduro came with a 2.2 Purgatory at the back and a 2.3 Butcher up front. Been extremely happy with the Butcher, sticks like glue, Purgatory is quite good, low resistance and all but it isn't that grippy, great fun though drifting it but makes me unsure whilst riding on wet cliffs and such.
    So I'd recommend you trying the Butcher, grips on every surface I've ridden it on and not bad roll resistance either.
    How are you liking the Clutch BTW? Have you been satisfied with it? Thought about testing one.
    Oh, and they're both Controls.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  10. #10
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,414
    2012 Enduros and SJs have the Butcher (control) up front.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  11. #11
    THAT guy
    Reputation: TRY2KPUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    139
    If you do a lot of DH, I say get another clutch. I love mine, they are alittle harder to climb with but they beg for more when you point it downhill. I run the SX up front and the control in the back.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    450
    I've been runing a purgatory up front and ground control in the rear with great results. I've also ran the captain setup front and rear and that was very good as welll. I have not been disappointed with any spesh tires yet!!

    i have been hearing that stock is pretty low on the new ground controls, LBS can't order any 29x2.0 as they are not in inventory...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

  13. #13
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,414
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    I've been runing a purgatory up front and ground control in the rear with great results. I've also ran the captain setup front and rear and that was very good as welll. I have not been disappointed with any spesh tires yet!!

    i have been hearing that stock is pretty low on the new ground controls, LBS can't order any 29x2.0 as they are not in inventory...
    I recently recieved my order of S-Works Ground Control tires in sizes 29X1.9 and 29X2.1 last week. It took 3 weeks for them to get to me! The 29X1.9 for the rear tire on my SJ HT which has a very narrow tire gap. My current SB8 2.1 tire in the rear wore the paint down to the metal between the chianstays!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    647
    In Spesh tires I've used Fast Trak LK, Captain and Purgatory. I'm running a Purg Grid 2.4 up front right now and love it. Before the Grid I was using the Purg Control and I was having issues with sidewall punctures when going threw rock gardens.

  15. #15
    OSCMTB
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,164
    Apparently I'm the only one who runs Eskars. I love 'em and they set up tubeless real well. 2.3 is only a little heavier than the 2.2 Purgatory, with higher volume.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: innovator8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    He's got an Enduro guys, not an Epic or something..
    Go for something at least 2.2, my '12 Enduro came with a 2.2 Purgatory at the back and a 2.3 Butcher up front. Been extremely happy with the Butcher, sticks like glue, Purgatory is quite good, low resistance and all but it isn't that grippy, great fun though drifting it but makes me unsure whilst riding on wet cliffs and such.
    So I'd recommend you trying the Butcher, grips on every surface I've ridden it on and not bad roll resistance either.
    How are you liking the Clutch BTW? Have you been satisfied with it? Thought about testing one.
    Oh, and they're both Controls.
    I'm running the stock 2011 enduro comp tires, purgatory in back and the clutch in the front.

    With the same bike, up until a couple of weeks ago, I was running maxis minion front and rear. Those tires really stick better in the tight fast turns than both my new specialized tires but the rolling resistance coming from the minions to the specialized is incredible!

    I have a trail I ride often that has ups and down switch backs and with the minions I had to pedal to get back to the top of hill each time, with the specialized, I can do it with no extra cranks.

    My front washed out the other day but that was my fault, but in the same instance, I think my minions would have stuck it.

    Over all, I'm keeping them on here and will learn to deal with a little sliding around as I am super happy with the speed of the tires.

    I will likely try out that Butcher you mentioned for the front once this one is gone.

    Jeff

  17. #17
    nero
    Reputation: nerofinis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    2012 Enduros and SJs have the Butcher (control) up front.
    the SJ EVO has the butcher up front and the purg in the back.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    I'm running the stock 2011 enduro comp tires, purgatory in back and the clutch in the front.

    With the same bike, up until a couple of weeks ago, I was running maxis minion front and rear. Those tires really stick better in the tight fast turns than both my new specialized tires but the rolling resistance coming from the minions to the specialized is incredible!

    I have a trail I ride often that has ups and down switch backs and with the minions I had to pedal to get back to the top of hill each time, with the specialized, I can do it with no extra cranks.

    My front washed out the other day but that was my fault, but in the same instance, I think my minions would have stuck it.

    Over all, I'm keeping them on here and will learn to deal with a little sliding around as I am super happy with the speed of the tires.

    I will likely try out that Butcher you mentioned for the front once this one is gone.

    Jeff
    Thanks for warning me, I've been thinking of minions but don't like the sound of the roll resistance. Think I'll keep a Butcher Control in the front and once my Purg wears out of all the drifting I'll put another Butcher in the back or maybe a Clutch, wonder how they work as rear tyres.. Could put the 2.3 in the back and go for a 2.4 in the front though.
    Running on tubeless btw, haven't noticed any bigger differences except for that the air, strangely, stays inside for longer.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    887
    Loose, loose over hardpack, hardpack:

    Minion dhf or Clutch up front, Captian 2.2 rear. For these conditions I think this is one sick setup.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

    Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    Thanks for warning me, I've been thinking of minions but don't like the sound of the roll resistance. Think I'll keep a Butcher Control in the front and once my Purg wears out of all the drifting I'll put another Butcher in the back or maybe a Clutch, wonder how they work as rear tyres.. Could put the 2.3 in the back and go for a 2.4 in the front though.
    Running on tubeless btw, haven't noticed any bigger differences except for that the air, strangely, stays inside for longer.
    Do not run a Clutch on the rear, will slow you down compared to the Purgs. A butcher would roll better than a Clutch in the rear IMO. But riding a butcher you would have to really lean over, may be a little drifty for some riders as a rear tire.

    Innovator8 The reason why the minions rolled so slow was because you had them on the rear. For trail riding, they should only be used on the front. They don't roll very well to justify them in the rear.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

    Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I recently recieved my order of S-Works Ground Control tires in sizes 29X1.9 and 29X2.1 last week. It took 3 weeks for them to get to me! The 29X1.9 for the rear tire on my SJ HT which has a very narrow tire gap. My current SB8 2.1 tire in the rear wore the paint down to the metal between the chianstays!
    That's the setup I'm thinking of running on my RH HT, except in the Control versions. I haven't found too much feedback on the 1.9 as a rear tire. Can you let us know how it works for you and what kind of terrain / riding you're using this setup for?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarManDSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    198
    Found this resistance chart on another thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Tires-specialized_tyre_rolling_resistance.jpg  

    14 SW Epic WC fm arrived!
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4 lb
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -27
    11 SW Epic29 -22.1
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    450
    Good stuff, I wonder what the actual speed difference would be between the tires if all conditions could be duplicated. It would be interesting to see.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarManDSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    Good stuff, I wonder what the actual speed difference would be between the tires if all conditions could be duplicated. It would be interesting to see.
    By dividing the Fast Track Control 29 by the Purgatory 29, I get 57% of energy required to get the same speed running the Fast Track.

    How does that relate to actual speed?

    My SW Epic 29 has the Fast Track in front and Renegade rear. My EVO 29er has Purgatory frt and rear. I will do a side by side rolling test down a small hill near my house and get back.
    14 SW Epic WC fm arrived!
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4 lb
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -27
    11 SW Epic29 -22.1
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

  25. #25
    sierra blanco
    Reputation: sierra blanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14
    I recently purchased 29er epic with Fast Trak in front and Renegade in rear. The strengths and weaknesses of these stock tires now make sense to me after seeing the chart above.

    Obvious differences in my riding/racing on these tires (and 29er): I am super fast off of the start line and can get up to speed/hold speed better than ever.

    HOWEVER, I have lost a lot of skin due to the horrible cornering ability in loose dirt/sand. I now have no confidence taking any speed into corners (payoff for rolling speed is not worth it for what I give up braking through every turn). So, I think I am going to switch to Captain in front and Ground Control in back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •