mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Specialized Tire Choices for Endurance Races (High Volume)

I'm planning a couple of 6 hour events, a 3 hour race, and the Pisgah 111k this spring. I went to the LBS to get some new rubber for my 29er hardtail.

I live in Pisgah, so that's where I ride most of the time. I wanted tires I can mount and leave on for all rides. (I have fast XC race tires too).

From talking with the dude at the shop, and my own decision making skills, I settled on a Specialized 2.2 Captain for the front (a little bite but rolls well) and a Fast Trak 2.2 for the rear (low rolling, high volume).

Typically, I go for aggressive front and fast rear. Last year I ran the Ardent up front with an old Bontrager XDX out back. I like trying new things though...

I'm second guessing my decision. Will the tires have enough volume (especially the fast trak). Should I have gone with the Renegade 2.3? These will be mounted up to Industry Nine Torch rims (wide).

mtbr member
    I've run the Captain 2.2 and FT 2.2 in many big mountain endurance events in VA and feel they do well. The only tire I've tired that I felt gripped better was a Racing Ralph but it only lasted about 150 miles and I can't see the extra cost for a tire that won't last.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I race endurance 6,12, & 24 solo's and have been running a 2.2 fast track and 2.0 captain in the front. This set up works very well. I recently switched to renegades in the back and have torn all of them in less than 60 days. Today, I put another 2.2 fast track in the back and after riding it again, I'm going to stick with that. I've also used 2.0 fast track in the back and was happy with that too.

I going to try some Fast track 2.0 in the back and 2.2 in the front and see how this works. The captain up front is very forgiving in an endurance race when you get tired. A 6 hour isn't that big a deal, but when you get longer than that then forgiveness works best for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Renegade 2.3 on the 29er. Just love them. Run them at just barely over 20 lbs and I weigh 160.