mtbr member
    May 2010

Specialized Technical Bulletin on 2011 SJ FSR Expert and Comp 29er

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Technical Bulletin on 2011 SJ FSR Expert and Comp 29er-sram3.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jscottmsc; 10-04-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: TYPO

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    interesting. I was looking at getting a Comp 29er. When I go to buy it, should the LBS replace this upon purchase or will I have to get it taken care of after I get the bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesvtcobra
    interesting. I was looking at getting a Comp 29er. When I go to buy it, should the LBS replace this upon purchase or will I have to get it taken care of after I get the bike?
    My shop replaced it before I took delivery on my Expert. This was about three weeks ago so I'm guessing the dealers should all be aware of this.

FWIW, my bike has had no shifting issues.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Couple people mentioned their front shifter quit working shortly after getting their bike. Looks like something about a SRAM shifter and Shimano FD aren't able to work together.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I picked up my 29er Stumpjumper FSR COMP 2011 yesterday. It had the X7 FD right out of the box. Shifter seems to work right now.

Tomorrow Iīll take it to the trails.

Until then I can say it LOOKS fantastic and fit is spot on, I might go to a 90/80mm stem though, for me the 100mm is a bit long.

Beautiful bike. Suspension action seems a lot more neutral compared to the 2009 Stumpjumper FSR 29er.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is this also for Stumpjumper Comp 29er hardtail or only the FSR model

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This X7 is S1, S2 or S3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    Hi,

I picked up my 29er Stumpjumper FSR COMP 2011 yesterday. It had the X7 FD right out of the box. Shifter seems to work right now.

Tomorrow Iīll take it to the trails.

Until then I can say it LOOKS fantastic and fit is spot on, I might go to a 90/80mm stem though, for me the 100mm is a bit long.

Beautiful bike. Suspension action seems a lot more neutral compared to the 2009 Stumpjumper FSR 29er.

Greetings Znarf
    So Znarf you pulled the trigger!? That's great! Now we want PICS! I remember you were talking about the SJ in this thread... Since then I've been able to test ride a 2010 SJ FSR Comp for a day and the bike really impressed me! I didn't find any of the often mentioned disadvantages of big wheels: I was able to wheelie, perform tight turns with nose-press... yeah, probably it takes a bit more effort to accelerate the bike but (at least for my kind of riding) it's not an issue. On the other hand I felt really balanced on the bike and I was very happy of cornering capabilities and of traction: the bike really shines in technical climbs. Now I'm really tempted: I was searching for a trail bike that could descend fast... looking at slack head angles, low bottom brackets... and probably I found the solution in bigger wheels

mtbr member
    Hi Zoorlen,

you remembered that?!?

Yes I did!

Sorry I didnīt post it up yet, I am a bit ( ) busy with my final university exams right now.

I can tell you that I really like the bike. And I bet itīs the direct answer to your requirements.

Climbs great, descends like crazy. More bike than youīll need for the gnarliest terrain (as long as you donīt do big hucks or BENDER moves, which most of us donīt) and still really efficient.

Shifting performance aside (could be a sole issue with my very bike), it wonīt let you down.

More bike in terms of component spec is probably decadent.
    But as I like decadent, Iīll pimp it. Because I like pimping.

Iīll buy a gravity dropper or a Rock Shox Reverb, thatīs for sure.

I might add a Syntace stem and a carbon Syntace bar, some Notubes rims on Hope hubs, some really nice XX drivetrain parts and Schwalbe tires. (thatīll take a while, depending on my available future "luxury budget" )

Again, thatīs overkill, but coming from a blinged out Santa Cruz custom build, It still feels different riding a stock bike. Impressive value though!

Iīll write a proper review once Iīve got more rides on it, but thatīll take another 3 weeks, until after my exams.

If youīve got any specific questions, feel free to ask. Iīll do my best to answer them.

Greetings!

Znarf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Technical Bulletin on 2011 SJ FSR Expert and Comp 29er-stumpjumper.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome! Is that an XL? Do you know if the 130mm Reba is a custom model or if it's a 140mm Reba lowered with a spacer? Thank you and good luck for your exams ;-)

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    yes its an XL and its a real 140mm reba.
    mine doesnt even seem to have a spacer in there,
    when I go real low on pressure in the negative chamber,
    the fork extends to the full 140mm.

i ride it at roughly 130mm, minus another 20mm of sag.
    for really though rides, one could go full travel though.

I really feel that 29"wheels and 120-130mm of travel really do smooth a LOT of chatter, bumps and stuff.

also there were two alltravel spacers sitting in the bag with the rock shox manual, which adds to "no spacer in there" theory.

you should go out and get one, as long as they re still available :-)

greetings
    znarf

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    just ordered that exact bike yesterday. can't wait for it to come in! Nice pic Znarf Now for the long wait for it to get here

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your bicycle is probably worth more than that old Yamaha bullet bike in the background.....

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    How tall are you and how would you consider the XLs fit?
    I am 6-6, 205lbs and looking at the same size. XXL seems like it would be too stretched out and difficult to move on.

I have also considered the Epic but the mechanic at my local shop though the SJ would be a better trailbike. I suppose the Epics main upside is that it weights slightly less and has the brain but at a $400 premium. Realistically I would only do a few local races for fun.

With pro-pedal on does the bike climb well?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets Try Science
    How tall are you and how would you consider the XLs fit?
    I am 6-6, 205lbs and looking at the same size. XXL seems like it would be too stretched out and difficult to move on.

I have also considered the Epic but the mechanic at my local shop though the SJ would be a better trailbike. I suppose the Epics main upside is that it weights slightly less and has the brain but at a $400 premium. Realistically I would only do a few local races for fun.

With pro-pedal on does the bike climb well?

Thanks.
    i'm 6'5 200lbs and the XL Stumpy Comp 29er I bought fits perfect.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Hey Znarf,
    Could you weight your XL? Even just standing on a scale with and without the bike would help my curiosity.

I saw on Bike Rumor that the Expert in a large frame is 29lb 3oz with tubes and the heavy gravity dropper post. I am sure you can drop a pound off the stock weight pretty easy by going tubeless, new bar, cassette.

mtbr member
    Right out of the box it sits at 29.9 lbs - size XL with tubes and Shimano SPD pedals.

There is a lot of weight weenie possibilities though.

The stock wheels are incredibly heavy. (but probably also really durable, the rearwheel is 36h etc.)

Some german nerds tuned their 2011 Stumpjumper Comps to 24lbs!
    (thatīs with super light Furious Fred tires, Notubes Crest/American Classic wheelset, Tune seatpost etc.

I guess with some reasonable parts, like a Arch/Crest wheelset with Hope Hubs, some nice Schwalbe tires and a lighter stem/handlebar, you could add a heavier adjustable seatpost without gaining any overall weight, yet lower the rotating mass and get a snappier bike.

I also added a PDF with detailed weights of ALL parts on the Stumpjumper Comp. The guy with the 24lbs Stumpjumper 29er Comp did it. Itīs in german, but the numbers are there...

Greetings Znarf
    Attached Files Attached Files