mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Specialized SX Trail Build

I'm building up a specialized SX trail frame and so far have avide code brakes, hope pro 2 hubs with mavic 721 rims and fox 36 vanilla RC2's. Looking for advice on headset, cranks, stem (including length), bars and gear set up (shifters and derailleurs).

Any suggestions Thanks CeeDouf

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    CK headset
    Race face diabolus cranks and also Race face D1 stem.

mtbr member
    What are you using the bike for? Some of these parts are going to be determined by your preference and size. I'de say go with xt 170mm cranks and a thomson 40 - 50 mm stem. Mid or high rise bars, x9 shifter with a xo rear derailr'. 11-34 sram cassette. odi ruffian lock ons, mrp chain guide...?..

i dunno you'll love it any way you build it, but I wouldn't put a bunch of dh parts on it. With your start you already are going to be lookin pretty decent in weight. Possibly 34-36 lb.s.

mtbr member

Ovalization

Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    CK headset
    If Chris king--- you have to get the oversized version. other wise ovalization (you might have known this already)

I used the FSA Pig Dh pro---like a king but much stronger
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

The Other Dude
    I had a similar start to you, if you check my photo gallary you can see pics of my build, but i too went with avid code brakes (just the code 5's) hope pro II hubs and a vanilla 36rc2 for my front fork (recently changed to a 55 ETA).

I change my fork from the 55 to a fox 40 depening on the riding, i have a 2 sets of wheels for it also, the hope pro II's laced to mavic 819s for all mountain, and Deemax's for dh and free ride. Going back to the fork thing, i went with a Hope Headset, it matched the wheels, plus it has a split fork crown race, so it can EASILY be moved from fork to fork without the use of tools.

I went with a 170mm crank...a truvativ stylo, its light and i think its pretty stiff, although others would disagree, i went with a double setup 36/22 ( i need it to climb, if i was just doing FR and DH i would go with saint Single 38 or 40T) with a bash ring, an XT front derailleur, Blackspire stinger shift guide, XO shifters and XO rear derailleur.

I am 5'10" and ride a medium, my last SXT was a large(I miss the blue!), i like the medium better so far for most of my riding. I tried a 90mm, 75mm and 40mm stem on my bike. The 90 was nice for more XC style riding, but i usually keep the 75mm on it, as it gives a good body position for me, and use the 40mm when i put the Fox 40 on, or when i know i am doing more FR stuff.

For bars i used Syncros Gains, Gravity Carbons and I have found that the Stock Specialized Enduro bar is my favorite, but again, thats personal preference.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

dirt visionary
    I say take a look at the sxtrail thread to get more ideas of builds.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    stay away from RaceFace, heavy, expensive and not durable (cranks)...
    Passion beyond reason!

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Thompson stem (4x) and seatpost, Answer protaper bars, LXcranks or Gravity GAP cranks. E13 SRS guide , 36 tooth chain ring, X9 rear shifter and derailiuer. Probably be around 37lbs. My SXT is build is close to this now, I just need the E13. I have a race face that works ok. I Highly recomend the Protapers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    CK headset

King headsets and New S frames dont get along, King makes a hell of a headset, but Specialized made a goofy headtube. You would have to go to your LBS or call King directly, and they will make you a larger one. I moved to a HOPE headset and like it 100 times better. I suggest.

Check out Deity parts. Good stuff. Race Face's Atlas line is nice too, more all mountain style opposed to DH. Azonic is another good place to start.
    Livin' the dream.