mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Specialized Stumpjumper vs Specialized Epic?

Looking at both of these bikes in a Pro version. Would describe my riding as all mountain. Anyone with thoughts as to strengths and weaknesses of each would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Scott

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

No good

Just picked any random section to post this question?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cham
    Looking at both of these bikes in a Pro version. Would describe my riding as all mountain. Anyone with thoughts as to strengths and weaknesses of each would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Scott
    The Epic seems to be geared more towards the race crowd. The Stumpy is more of a trail bike (not really "all mountain", but not really an XC race machine either, kind of between the two). I was faced with the same decision recently. I went with the StumpJumper (Expert) and I'm really happy with it so far. I aspire towards the ability to ride more technical stuff. I raced some 20 years ago, but no longer find myself in the same condition or with the time to train. The extra travel and more plush bike suits me (at 37 years of age, trying to keep up with my 14 year old) more than a full on race bike would. If you really mean "all mountain", than look at the Stumpy and, more probably, the Enduro. You may also do well do look at the Nomad and Heckler from Santa Cruz as well as a few other models from other manufacturers.

But yep, by the way, may not be the best section of the forum for this particular question.

ballbuster

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    The Epic seems to be geared more towards the race crowd. The Stumpy is more of a trail bike (not really "all mountain", but not really an XC race machine either, kind of between the two). I was faced with the same decision recently. I went with the StumpJumper (Expert) and I'm really happy with it so far. I aspire towards the ability to ride more technical stuff. I raced some 20 years ago, but no longer find myself in the same condition or with the time to train. The extra travel and more plush bike suits me (at 37 years of age, trying to keep up with my 14 year old) more than a full on race bike would. If you really mean "all mountain", than look at the Stumpy and, more probably, the Enduro. You may also do well do look at the Nomad and Heckler from Santa Cruz as well as a few other models from other manufacturers.

But yep, by the way, may not be the best section of the forum for this particular question.
    Epic is more for laying down power and going fast to the finish line. Stumpjumper is more of a lightweight trailbike (but can take lots of abuse) for all day epic rides.

Sounds to me like a Stumpy is for you. I have an older one and love it.