mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Specialized/Stumpjumper Size Question

I will be getting a bike for my 15 year old son, he is 6'2", 34" inseam and still growing. Any size advice assuming that he will gow to be 6'3" to 6'5" and 200+ in weight. I am thinking Stumpjumper as an allaround bike but I welcome other advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlouhy
    I will be getting a bike for my 15 year old son, he is 6'2", 34" inseam and still growing. Any size advice assuming that he will gow to be 6'3" to 6'5" and 200+ in weight. I am thinking Stumpjumper as an allaround bike but I welcome other advice.
    might want to look into a large or even an XL. my friend test rode a stumpy this weekend and he's 6 ft tall. dont know his inseam but they stuck him on a large right when he asked.

on another note... DAMN!!! 15 years old and already 6'2 what you feeding that kid..... im just jealous because im 18 and have been 5'2 for a while now

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Go XL for sure. I am 6'3-4" and ride a XL enduro SL, my dad is 5'10" and rides a Large Stumpjumper. The large feels really small to me. With that being said, it really does depend on what is comfortable to him. If he ever intends to do some jumping/just messing around on stunts (most kids do), then I would also take a serious look at the Pitch.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPhisher
    With that being said, it really does depend on what is comfortable to him. .
    I second that. I'm 6' 4" and i ride a large stumpy hardtail, it fits me perfect. Maybe i just prefer the slighter smaller feel, but i've tried XL's and while it fits me, it seems like i just barely fit, they're pretty huge. That being said most guys 6' 2" and up most likely feel more comfortable on the XL. And i've never tried fsrs or enduros, so maybe those frames ride smaller. Just have him ride both and the mystery will be solved.....and speaking of large frames, i'm goin out for a midnight ride.
    Last edited by karlmalone1; 07-09-2008 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2008 Stumpy has alot of standover clearance. I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. I can ride a Med or Large stumpy. I would go with a XL for sure.

mtbr member
    Have him ride the XL. I'm just under 6'3 and ride an XL Epic.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    consider a 29er?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What u guys would recommend for me as I am 6' with 32" inseam? Can't decide whether should I go for Medium or Large.. And no, testdrive is not possible. I'm currently riding Commencal Meta 5 size Large and like the size except it's pretty high. Would like to get more clearance and that's why considering M.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    large for sure. My buddy is about 5'9" and he rides a large. 08 stumpy runs smaller than previous years and there is alot more standover height since the top tube swoops down. The top tube feels smaller than other bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanol
    What u guys would recommend for me as I am 6' with 32" inseam? Can't decide whether should I go for Medium or Large.. And no, testdrive is not possible. I'm currently riding Commencal Meta 5 size Large and like the size except it's pretty high. Would like to get more clearance and that's why considering M.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You just cant go by height and inseam, are your arms long or shorter, body etc., this also comes into play.

I'm 5'10 , longer legs, shorter arms and the medium all round is my preference, I use a setback post and was professionally fitted. I can also ride the large but the medium for me makes it easier to throw the bike around. I have always been a strong climber so being a little more cramped for the uphills hasn't hindered me much - the big difference has come on the downhills and obstacles , I'm more centered on the bike, way more confident.

5 9' - 5 10' depending on your body type and riding preference you can go large or medium. 5 11' - 6 1' suggest Large , over that XL, 6 5' you may need a custom size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was told to get off the Medium Stumpy FSR 08 in the bike shop and was sold a Large, no problem,

I am 5'10'' and got little legs like ET

mtbr member
    +1 for looking at the pitch. I think it would be well worth the money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i am 6'3 38" inseam and endednup on an XL 08 stumpy -------and it fit real good , ---the large was cramped -----i could have changed some things to get it to work , -----but i know i would have been hindered in climbing

What is going on?!
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    You just cant go by height and inseam, are your arms long or shorter, body etc., this also comes into play.

I'm 5'10 , longer legs, shorter arms and the medium all round is my preference, I use a setback post and was professionally fitted. I can also ride the large but the medium for me makes it easier to throw the bike around. I have always been a strong climber so being a little more cramped for the uphills hasn't hindered me much - the big difference has come on the downhills and obstacles , I'm more centered on the bike, way more confident.

5 9' - 5 10' depending on your body type and riding preference you can go large or medium. 5 11' - 6 1' suggest Large , over that XL, 6 5' you may need a custom size.
    I agree.. You can't decide on the size by height and inseam.. I am 6'2 and I prefer a medium.. call me weird but I love a smaller bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Large Stumpy looks really long on paper. Top tube is 1" longer than my current one. But seat angle is very different, so Stumpy should feel pretty much the same.. Or at least I hope so. Trying to get a test drive, but it ain't easy around here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I spent the morning trying to figure out the same thing. I compaired the size of the frames on paper and found a small difference between a M and a L but there is a big difference between a S-M and a L-XL i rode both the Medium and Large frame SJ and to be honest there was nothing in it. But both didnt feel right still. I then spent a while with them trying a SB seat post what i think was about a 15mm SB and a 15mm longer stem and that sorted it and the bike felt great. I am 5,11, 33" inside leg and 178lb and i went for the medium. I cant tell any difference between the M and L as i said but you should check the sizes your self on the spec website as you would be surprised at how close the M and L bikes are. Like they say it's better to have a smaller frame and build it to suit you than to have a larger frame you cant do anything with.
    Last edited by Barritia; 08-19-2008 at 01:56 PM.

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    Large Stumpy looks really long on paper. Top tube is 1" longer than my current one. But seat angle is very different, so Stumpy should feel pretty much the same.. Or at least I hope so. Trying to get a test drive, but it ain't easy around here.
    You're the same size as me ... the cockpit of my L is a tad too short (though I keep a short stem). Don't let the long wheelbase fool you. That said, an XL may be too large for you. M is *definitely* too small for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well when comparing to my old Meta medium Stumpy seems more closer to same size than large. On paper:

Meta top tube eff:593mm (I've been running 9mm stem and been pretty happy with it)
    Stumpy top tube eff:590mm

Meta seat tube:500mm
    Stumpy seat tube:445mm

Meta wheelbase:11350mm
    Stumpy wheelbase:11150mm

Meta head angle:68,3
    Stumpy head angle:68,5

Meta seat angle:73/68
    Stumpy seat angle:74,5/71

So the biggest difference is with seat tube and seat angle. Like the idea that medium Stumpy leaves much clearance as I like to move around the bike alot. What worries me is seat angle, but could put on a SB seatpost to get seat bit further. Tried today FSR XC Pro, size medium and liked it. It left with 350mm seatpost approximately 50mm till max insert signs. It could have been sligthly longer, but with SB it should be really good. Or with stem in lower position or with 0degree rise. So call me weird, but obviously I like small frames too..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well when comparing to my old Meta medium Stumpy seems more closer to same size than large. On paper:

Meta top tube eff:593mm (I've been running 9mm stem and been pretty happy with it)
    Stumpy top tube eff:590mm

Meta seat tube:500mm
    Stumpy seat tube:445mm

Meta wheelbase:11350mm
    Stumpy wheelbase:11150mm

Meta head angle:68,3
    Stumpy head angle:68,5

Meta seat angle:73/68
    Stumpy seat angle:74,5/71

So the biggest difference is with seat tube and seat angle. Like the idea that medium Stumpy leaves much clearance as I like to move around the bike alot. What worries me is seat angle, but could put on a SB seatpost to get seat bit further. Tried today FSR XC Pro, size medium and liked it. It left with 350mm seatpost approximately 50mm till max insert signs. It could have been sligthly longer, but with SB it should be really good. Or with stem in lower position or with 0degree rise. So call me weird, but obviously I like small frames too..
    I know exactly what ya mean. If the shop had the Carbon in a Large i still would have gone for the medium due to me liking the smaller frames as well. as long as it feels comfortable and you have confidence riding it then thats when you know. I didn't feel confidant at all until i change the seat post and stem. that made the bike fit me perfect.