mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Specialized Stumpjumper headset/suspension problems

First time using this, let me know if it should be posted elsewhere
    I work at a bike shop as a builder and amateur mechanic, and decided to buy a new bike (I get 40% off as an employee). The week before I left, I bought a 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 . I built it myself and had another mechanic check over it so everything was good, but four weeks later I'm running into issues. I ride this thing hard (Probably 125+ miles of singletrack in the 4 weeks Ive had it), and it has now started making a small creak sound every single bump I hit on a trail. it is subtle, but definitly there. Ive overhauled the headset like 10 times, everything is torqued to spec, and everything is lubed and properly tightened including headset preload, but I can't get rid of the small creak sound. Is this just an inevitability? Do all bikes do this? (this is my first new bike). I only noticed it after I shipped my bike up to maine for two weeks. Any ideas/advice on what could be the issue? It has carbon headset spacers if that matters. Also, I cannot seem to get the suspension set up right on this, it seems to have virtually no small bump damping. My last bike was a 2012 trek superfly 100 al with push tuning and was incredibly supple, but this does not feel near that good at absorbing bumps. Perhaps i'm comparing apples to oranges? The stumpy certainly feels a lot stiffer than my trek but not sure if that affects small bump absorbtion. Thanks for any and all help! TL;DR Headset creaks on any bump hit despite overhauls and proper tightening, and suspension feels too stiff.

mtbr member
    Can you at all reproduce the problem when you're not riding? Like pushing down on the fork, turning the handlebars while pushing down , anything? Noises like creaks and rattles easily transmitted to other places, making them hard to locate and sometimes sounding where they are not. I have a 2015 Stumpjumper FSR, and have been told that the seatpost can cause Creeks believe it or not. Also, we might not rule out your bottom bracket yet either unless you're a hundred percent sure on that too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I cannot replicate it without hitting a bump, and it happens both on and off the saddle, while peddaling or not pedaling, and while sitting on the seat but without feet on the pedals, leading me to believe in is front end related. it also makes the sound at the exact moment the front wheel hits the obstacle and I can feel a small movement due to natural play in the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick1998 View Post
    I cannot replicate it without hitting a bump, and it happens both on and off the saddle, while peddaling or not pedaling, and while sitting on the seat but without feet on the pedals, leading me to believe in is front end related. it also makes the sound at the exact moment the front wheel hits the obstacle and I can feel a small movement due to natural play in the fork.
    I have to agree w that logic. Still could be the fork or front hub then no?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hoping for Endless Summer
    I am having a similar creaking sound on my Stumpy and it has been driving me nuts, each time I pedal. Four mechanics cannot reproduce it. I'll have to borrow a stethoscope or something. It's either my headset, seatpost, or the cogs.
    Last edited by OffTheTop; 08-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I had a creak/squeak from the front driving me nuts too. Turned out to be the dust covers from the front wheel hub. Cleaned/lubed, all good now.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    One thing I would recommend. Replace the headset bearings with good quality stainless steel.

If that doesn't cure it it's almost definitely the CSU.

The fork suppleness is a whole other story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Could it be the fork that is causing the issue? I expect you have a Revelation fork but the Pike had this issue: Used Pike Creaking what are my options...

No good in rock gardens..
    So many possibilities.

Bar and stem interface. Clean and retorque. A light smear of lithium grease won't hurt.

Clean and lube chain.

Bad headset bearing.

Fork crown issue.

Cable ends can gall and creak in the shifter adjuster barrel or where they enter the frame. Spray lube same.

Front axle - remove, clean and grease.

Check spokes for tightness. Adjust as required. Even spokes can gall and creak on each other.

Seatpost and clamp and binder. Remove, clean and lightly grease and retorque.

Seat rails - spray lube where they enter the saddle.

Bottom bracket is a common cause.

Rear axle - remove, clean and lube.

Cassettes can creak. Remove and cleane and grease hub body.

Rear shock - top mounting bolt can get dry and gritty and creak. DU bushing.

Suspension linkage and bearings - this is where mine developed a loud creak that the LBS didn't fix. I pulled the rear suspension apart, popped the dust covers off the bearings and syringed fresh grease into the bearings. Some were almost dry! Problem solved on mine.
    Less isn't MOAR