mtbr member

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression

What a machine...I've not been a fan of 29'er but the stumpi is just awesome...

Fast, nimble, trail blazing machine.

This bike is so much fun it's ridiculous...I've tried several 29er and this is the only one that does it all well....up and down.

The trails today were wet, wet and very wet...nevertheless I could cut through the trails like a hot knife through butter. One of the nicest aspects of the bike is the speed one can carry when it gets rough and loose...it just gives off gobs of confidence. Precise handling complemented with suspension that gives back superb feedback.

I have one issue and it's the 29er Fox Talas fork. For what ever reason, when riding for a while on hard pack trail mostly level and long climbs, the fork would get stuck at about 100mm of travel. Once I get the fork active then it goes slowly back to its full travel. Pumping when moving or standing still this quasi block in travel can't be replicated. I tried a higher pressure (110ps) and the issue continued and the fork at that pressure is horrible to ride. Once the bike shop opens in the new year, I will have them take a look.

On the trails, I did not notice any issue as its not advisable to look at your fork when flying past trees, going over jumps and railing through slippery corners.

Can't wait for my next ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpjumper.jpg  

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-img_stumpirear-end.jpg  

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-img_stumpi2.jpg  

Last edited by PEDI; 12-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bike looks sick dude! How does the brain perform on the trails? Ordered the Expert EVO 29 because of no brain but must admit that it worked pretty well on my SJ FSR Elite 12.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    this is stumpjumper FSR and not stumpjumper, stumpjumper is a hardtail and your thread subject is confusing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    this is stumpjumper FSR and not stumpjumper, stumpjumper is a hardtail and your thread subject is confusing
    change it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pondus343 View Post
    Bike looks sick dude! How does the brain perform on the trails? Ordered the Expert EVO 29 because of no brain but must admit that it worked pretty well on my SJ FSR Elite 12.
    I had it on my 2010 Stumpi FSR 26' and it performed "okay". On this bike its awesome, I set it up with 1 click from closed and never touched it again...awesome

Just wondering what the issue is with fork sticking at around 100mm of travel...have to wait till the bike shop opens...but that will not stop me of getting on this machine again...

I also considered the EVO but once I saw the S-Works I could not resist...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The S-Works is sweet for sure, but damn... look at the price :P Regarding the fork you should just have a LBS to look at it. Maybe it's because of the slippery kashima coating

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    Wow, what a stupid statement.

Great write up by the OP though! I am just finishing my Stumpy FSR EVO Carbon build and this makes me really want to be done!

mtbr member
    Went out on my back yard run, pump track and some gaps jumps...action movie on the way...this bike can take jumps with ease...super stocked...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pondus343 View Post
    The S-Works is sweet for sure, but damn... look at the price :P Regarding the fork you should just have a LBS to look at it. Maybe it's because of the slippery kashima coating
    OR not

mtbr member

Fork

Nice bike

Regarding the fork, I had a similar issue with a Magura Thor a few years back...all I had to do was invert the bike and cycle the fork several times to lube the seals which were causing it to stick. Might do the trick and save a trip to the bike shop.

Enjoy the stumpy

mtbr member
    So as promised check out my action vid:

Stumpjumper S-Works FSR 29er Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdRhxHCrdIY

I'm going to open an action thread for Stumpis FSR 29er, evidence that this bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    Weight of frame, front and rear wheel:
    25 Lbs with peddles...a bit to light so I'll be changing out the fork for a Fox 34 Float...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpiweight1.jpg  

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpiweight2.jpg  

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpiweight3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Fork has been exchanged for a 34 Fox Float...can't understand why they did not bring this bike out with the 34 Fork...fortunately I could do a deal with the LBS to exchange it given the original was loosing travel for some reason.

Went out for a ride with it today and all I can say is it's awesome. Feels stiffer than the 32 and very responsive. Also, it looks meaner on the bike.

A bad picture for your enjoyment....

Tomorrow will be a big bike day and the day to test the bike on some seriously mean trails with rock garden, 2m drops, gap jumps and steep technical descents....oh and some uphill as well about 1200 meters elevation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpi1.jpg  

2012 > IBIS Mojo HD > Can do it all, up, over, down, under...just everything
    2013 > Stumpjumper FSR 29er > New Trail Rocket

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Love the bike..

As an owner of the Expert Carbon 29er, I would be interested in finding out your views on the differences between the 32 Talas and 34 Float...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchief View Post
    Love the bike..

As an owner of the Expert Carbon 29er, I would be interested in finding out your views on the differences between the 32 Talas and 34 Float...

see my comments:

Your Pick: SJ FSR Expert vs Evo 29er???

tomorrow will be the ultimate test...will give my view once put the bike through its paces

mtbr member
    another picture for those who like bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpbachtel1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEDI View Post
    another picture for those who like bikes
    Which part of Switzerland was that photo taken in? It looks really picturesque there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Which part of Switzerland was that photo taken in? It looks really picturesque there.
    Picture taken in the Kanton of Zurich at the top of a place called the Pfannenstiel...from there the trails are either flowing or steep and riddled with roots...

mtbr member
    some pictures, sunset this time over looking the lake of Zurich...trails were very wet again....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpsunset1.jpg  

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR S-Works 29'er 2013 - 1st ride impression-stumpsunset2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow 25 lbs. Thats about XC territory there. How is climbing in it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sweet ride !!! aye how does it climb like a goat i bet !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Wow 25 lbs. Thats about XC territory there. How is climbing in it?
    Climbing is part of a great MTB tour... This bike with its 29er wheels gives so much traction and with the Brain Tech makes it a pleasurable experience...the bike weight helps but its not the reason I bought this bike...its the entire package this bike offers

It climbs, it jumps, its rails through trails...it just awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEDI View Post
    Climbing is part of a great MTB tour... This bike with its 29er wheels gives so much traction and with the Brain Tech makes it a pleasurable experience...the bike weight helps but its not the reason I bought this bike...its the entire package this bike offers

It climbs, it jumps, its rails through trails...it just awesome
    How are you liking the carbon cranks? I kinda wanna get a pair on my bike but not sure if it's worth it or not. Can you tell a difference in stiffness vs alloy cranks?