Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Wink Specialized Stumpjumper fsr 2015

What ar the impression of new stumpy fsr 2015?
    I am not impressed, positive change is only in brakes from latest models.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    LBS told me next year they will shorten the chainstay length.

Does anyone have photos/specs on the 2015 (USA) 29er models of the EVO, Carbon Comp, Comp, etc.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm unimpressed as well. I was hoping for shorter chainstay's like the Enduro has, or a properly built 650b. I won't be upgrading my 2012 this year.

I believe pictures are available in the 2015 specialized release date thread. Click on one of the facebook links and most of the 2015 line is pictured.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am not impressed either. While the Enduro is probably overkill I am thinking it is still a better choice for me this year over the Stumpjumper FSR EVO? Roughly same weight? Better wheels and overall spec. Shorter stays. Better shock.

Thoughts? My only concern is how it would climb as it is a big bike but the review here said that the S-Works Enduro 650 should be around 26.5lbs so it may be pretty good at that too?

mtbr member
    Happy to keep my uber pimped 2013 for this year aswell. Besides that I still like it's paint scheme a lot better over 2014/2015 ones. 2016 is when we'll all see a new Epic like frame on the Stumpy with the SWAT thingy,see you in 2016. In the mean time I'm getting a 2015 Tarmac Sworks.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped for sale
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was waiting half year for new model, although old model 2014 was really good as i read from reviews, now i have to decide buy model from 2014 or new enduro comp which is maybe too much for trail and all around riding. Stumpy is better all arounder and uphill bike. 2016 is too far for waiting, maybe dissapointing like 2015, who knows for sure..I am in dilemma now between stumpy evo29 2014 and enduro comp 29 2015. Chainstay length..no matter on that I read that stumpy is still very well in handling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

quick test

I was test riding a 2014 Enduro comp and they suggested i try this bike. They said it was a 2015 SJ Evo 27.5. Pretty sweet.

Specialized Stumpjumper fsr 2015-sj.jpg

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What a depressing thread. The bike is universally praised by the press and people want to ruin it by wanting to stand on the rear axle.

It's one of the few trail bikes with balanced weight distribution. It'll be a sad day when it has sub 430mm rear centre and half the front grip.

mtbr member
    All of you arm chair engineers need to actually ride one instead of dorking out on numbers. I have one and it rips. I love the bike and I will love it even more with a DB inline...The yellow complete build and the red frame look amazing in person.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for reply. Thread is for impression, positive and negative, and this positive is really welcome and make smile on my face because that is my wish for bike in few week to buy, and is nice to heard all advices especially positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    What a depressing thread. The bike is universally praised by the press and people want to ruin it by wanting to stand on the rear axle.

It's one of the few trail bikes with balanced weight distribution. It'll be a sad day when it has sub 430mm rear centre and half the front grip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    In order of climbing efficiencies

Epic
    Camber
    Stumpy
    Enduro
    Demo

Reverse order for dh, it's not really hard.

Stumpy just a nice balance and if your local trails aren't that rough maybe the camber is for you, best thing to do is test.

Tested a 650b stumpy today and I must say it was a nice ride, pedalled better then I thought.

I'm still a 29er guy thou, the 650b was nice, not bad just different.

Was it for me, no it wasn't but next yr when I'm fitter and stronger who knows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I drive on rough terrain with my friends on DH and trail bikes, it is hard but possible, they wait me on rough parts.. I am on carve expert 29, stumpy evo 29 will fulfill all my needs..new color scheme neon green/black sucks, but I hope it will be in two variants of color, still I didnt saw another one. Or I will buy 2014 model all black.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jackoo View Post
    Or I will buy 2014 model all black.
    This yes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I agree about riding rather than just looking at the numbers for sure, and I plan to when the new Enduro's are out. It is also more than just the chainstay length for me that is making me interested in the Enduro over the Stumpy:

Very similar weight this year? Less than a pound difference?
    DB Inline shock spec'd on the Enduro line stock seems to get great reviews
    Traverse Fattie Carbon wheel option available on Enduro, not sure on Stumpjumper?

I would have to imagine a 26.5 lb Enduro would be a pretty great do it all bike but as noted I am looking forward to riding them all before making decision.

Thanks
    Daniel

mtbr member
    I just got back from the dealer event and the Enduro 650B was super slack. I would rather be on a Stumpjumper for climbing/descending. It was a nice bike, just felt like pedaling my Demo uphill with an inch or so less of travel.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    26.5lb Enduro? Only with comedy tires/wheels.

My medium XO1 E29 is carbon everything and weighs just under 28lb.

On smoother trails (regardless of how steep) the SJ Evo 29 is the faster bike DH. On steeper climbs it kills the E29 because of the longer rear centre/more central weight distribution.

It's the best all-round mountain bike on the market for a couple years but Trek are catching up now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The weight does seem ambitious but that is what they are reporting. See the review on here?

First Look: Specialized Enduro 650b S-Works 27.5 bike | Mountain Bike Review

That is with heavy tires, bottle cage and SWAT stuff?

The slack and climbing comment is what I am worried about as well and look forward to riding one.

mtbr member
    What I find funny is that there are people posting on here saying they didn't buy anything so they could wait and buy whatever Specialized cobbled together for 2015... And then when they saw no change to their liking they said they'd just wait till next year.

Honestly, if you want a new bike, it's okay to buy something that doesn't have an S on the headtube. The big secret is that there are a lot of other brands out there making absolutely killer stuff, Specialized isn't the only brand in existence and currently they don't really have anything that's mind blowing or a game changer aside from the Enduro 29.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    What I find funny is that there are people posting on here saying they didn't buy anything so they could wait and buy whatever Specialized cobbled together for 2015... And then when they saw no change to their liking they said they'd just wait till next year.

Honestly, if you want a new bike, it's okay to buy something that doesn't have an S on the headtube. The big secret is that there are a lot of other brands out there making absolutely killer stuff, Specialized isn't the only brand in existence and currently they don't really have anything that's mind blowing or a game changer aside from the Enduro 29.
    For me, I have a 2012 SJ 26. The only 29 that has ever felt good to me was the Enduro, but it's way too much bike for me. I would absolutely upgrade my bike if Specialized made changes that improved it to the point for it to make sense for me to buy new. I wanted a properly built 650b or a shorter chainstay 29.

Since the 2015 info has been out, I was disappointed, so I went and checked out almost every bike shop in my area. I rode, Santa Cruz, Giant, Salsa, Trek and few others I know I've forgotten.. I know there are alot of other bikes out there, but locally, I can't swing a leg over them. I'm not buying a bike I can't ride beforehand.

I really wanted to like the Santa Cruz (Bronson and 5010), but it just didn't feel right for me. I didn't like the cable routing (not a deal breaker, but the bike felt unfinished). I also started reading about the problems people have with the pivots and that just wasn't something I wanted to deal with. I'm sure they are great bikes, but after riding, they weren't for me.

The Giant Trance felt the best and probably the frontrunner, if I were to make a switch today. Unfortunately the guy at the Giant dealership didn't know much about them and I find their website to be the most confusing out of all of the bike manufactures. I wasn't sure about the bottom bracket height (not listed on their website), and couldn't quite understand what they've got going on with the massive head tube size.

In the end, I've decided to keep my 26 Stumpy for another year. I'm happy with it, it's fun, great in the corners and feels dialed.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
    The weight does seem ambitious but that is what they are reporting. See the review on here?

First Look: Specialized Enduro 650b S-Works 27.5 bike | Mountain Bike Review

That is with heavy tires, bottle cage and SWAT stuff?

The slack and climbing comment is what I am worried about as well and look forward to riding one.
    Apologies I thought we were talking 29.

Yes those weight without pedals comments are pretty amusing. That bike with a Grid front tire, Controls are useless on such a bike, would be over 27.5lbs.

The 650b Enduro will be a poor climbing bike. The BB height is acceptable and the head angle is about right but the real downside of using the 26" frame is the seat angle. Combined with the short stays it'll be pretty bad compared to something like a Nomad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post

Pointless opinion..
    Some of us here are die hard Specialized aficionados. As a matter of fact I am. I've sometimes bought other brands but I always found myself going back to the big red S. Their bike,their aesthetics,the way they perform..it all feels like they were built with my body size and riding style in mind. And like many here,I'm tuned to their "every 4 years" total frame/design overhaul and never been disappointed with the results. My Stumpy FSR 29 is from 2013,conceived in 2012 and not very different from 2014 and 2015 ones. Nothing wrong in waiting until 2016 to see the all new Stumpy FSR. Will I like it ? I bet I'll do. But I'll keep myself open for other options of course
    Last edited by Devastazione; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:30 PM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped for sale
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Regarding the head tube spacer on next years 650b stumpys, will it be possible to put on a 160mm fork with spacer removed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Norway87 View Post
    Regarding the head tube spacer on next years 650b stumpys, will it be possible to put on a 160mm fork with spacer removed?
    I am running a 160 on mine with the spacer to get the head angel slacker. I wold not want any less. It would be possible though to leave the spacer off.
    I was fortunate to get a Stumpy 650B frame just after they were released. I just moved my build over. After a few days I went back to my other bike, the Stumpy and I were not getting along. My other frame found a unfortunate demise under me and required me to move back to the Stumpy frame while I sort things out.

The Stumpy 650B corners and handles incredible. The low BB is a double edge knife for me though. It really helps it corner but requires incredible timing when in tech rocky stuff. I like tech rocky stuff and it has just become annoying to hit that stuff. Fortunately I have aluminum cranks. The only other negative is when descending it does not take to much pushing to make the bike feel out of place or over ridden. I am a better descender than I am climber, but certainly back off a bit from normal in the steep hard stuff. On the plus side it is a good climber, and pretty light. I am running a 1x10 xt build with Pike and pretty aggressive tires with I-9 enduro wheels for a weight just under 27 lb's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    @JCL: The short chain stays make the bike super agile. The Enduro is still a great climber, seat angle is fine, and I'd rather keep my 419mm chain stays than have a 430mm chain stay bike that may climb just a little better. My 26" Enduro is below 26.5 lbs, with pedals, size large, and not an S-Works.

@BrokenBike: Are you coming from a 29er?

mtbr member
    It just seems like some people are selling themselves way short in the name of brand loyalty. Ride what you want and all, but at the same time To essentially pigeonhole yourself into one brand of bike but decide to not buy anything because that company didn't produce exactly what you want is silly. Especially when there is a plethora of options out there. If you have the coin saved and you want to buy a new bike, buy a new bike. Maybe Specialized won't produce anything you like next year or the year after either... Will you still wait?
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast