mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Specialized skewer coming loose

Okay,

On my 07 Stump FSR Expert the front skewer keeps working its way loose during the ride. About half way through I have to reach down and retigten it. Any suggestions? Is this the norm? Never happened on my mavics

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had the same problem on last year's models. The spesh quick releases are just crap. The shimano in the rear does just fine. Get some Salsa or Hope skewers and QR's.

go chase the sunset
    Flip it round to the right hand side.

mtbr member
    I tighten the skewer pointed down. Then I rotate the QR up and around to tighten it further. This has worked so far. Before doing it this way, the front would be very easy to open, no matter how hard I tightened it down to close it.

The Ultimate fix is a pair of LX, XT, or XTR QR skewers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    Okay,

On my 07 Stump FSR Expert the front skewer keeps working its way loose during the ride. About half way through I have to reach down and retigten it. Any suggestions? Is this the norm? Never happened on my mavics
    Like the others have mentioned, you might need a better set of skewers. However, have you tried tightening it so that the nut touches when the handle is perpendicular to the dropout (sticking all the way out)?

mtbr member
    I had the same problem on my epic. I felt like an idiot when the guy at my LBS said "lube it." I did and it works fine now.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

Trying a little
    is that the xtra large maxel thingy?
    A bit of oil helps in that case believe it or not.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    is that the xtra large maxel thingy?
    A bit of oil helps in that case believe it or not.
    Ive owned 3 front wheels w/this setup. If it is the skraxle even w/grease the composite material that the cam mechanism pushes down on eventually deforms and becomes dangerous, replace it.
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Ive owned 3 front wheels w/this setup. If it is the skraxle even w/grease the composite material that the cam mechanism pushes down on eventually deforms and becomes dangerous, replace it.
    yea, the lube helped mine, but they are indeed crappy.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had the thing happen to my 2005 enduro comp. It would alway happen on the rocky section. I went to the hopes and it has not happened since. Just for the piece of mind change them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So what are we replacing the specialized skewer with? Hope? DT Swiss? Also what size, is this a standard size. It looks like it is, and on the specialized site they do not indicate anything different. However I remember the "skrazle" or whatever it was called and thought that might a different size. I remember reading that DT had a skewer that was excellent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It should be the qr size skewers. I have tried xt and hope skewers. They both performed well. I went with the hopes because I like the way they look. They mite even be a little lighter but i am not sure. Ben

Trying a little
    its specialized stout hub so the axel is extra lrge. I think it's a 10mm skewer. twisting the rubber halfmoon backing piece around sometimes helps. so it's Just get a 10mm (or 9mm or 11mm whatever it is you measure it) bolt and a plastic-threaded 10mm lock nut. The threads might eat away your fork drop outs a little faster than normal so just file them down where they touch the dropouts.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

bang
    the new dt swiss rws front skewer might fit; it's also oversized like the specialized skraxle.