mtbr member

Specialized sizing?

I have a 2005 Specialized Rockhopper Comp hardtail which I like a lot and the size is 21 . I am going to get a Stumpjumper FSR this year and they seem to come in size med, large, xlarge etc. so how does this sizing compare to the rockhopper 21 sizing. I believe it should be a large that I am after, but just wanted another opinion?

mtbr member
    21" is X-large.

Other sizes - 15" Small, 17" Medium, 19" Large.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Now I am confused as Specialized emailed me saying that the best size should be a large. I guess will see if my lbs has some to try.
    Here is the email i received from Specialized:

Traditionally, bicycles are sized by the height of the bike, but with modern bikes, that is not a useful number, a better indication of how the bike fits you is the top tube length. That is the most crucial number..

The picture is slightly muddied by the fact that most bikes have sloping top tubes, so actually measuring along the tube itself is not useful, you need to measure in a horizontal line from the head tube to the seat tube, to see how "long" you bike actually is..

Looking at the archives on our website, your 05 Rockhopper has a 615mm top tube. Looking at the sizing of the Stumpy FSR, that most closely corresponds to a size large frame, that will have a 620mm top tube (in the geometry specs, you need to look at the "horizontal" measure.)

Fit is very important, and its good that you are paying attention to this. We spend a huge amount of time on the details here at specialized...

happy riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sounds like they went through the trouble of comparing top tube lengths, so i would go with what they said. The SBCU text book has a sizing chart - for a rider height of 6'2" there is overlap between a size L, XL, 19", and 21" depending on the bike. Any rider height taller than 6'2" quotes a size of XL or 21". It should be noted though that they say this is a starting point only, and nothing really should substitute a test ride.

mtbr member
    Anyway, it's better looking at the size for the horizontal top tube and compare it with your actual bike than the size of the seat tube. So what Specialized answered must be the best.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

mtbr member
    Thank you. On my Rockhopper the handlebars are a bit higher than my seat and it's very comfortable this way. On an older GT bike I have, the bars are equal to or maybe a bit lower than the seat and I now find that bike very uncomfortable in comparison. It felt like I was supporting myself mostly by my triceps and shoulders and not much saddle. I hope I can find a large to try out just to be sure, but nobody has any here. If I were an inch shorter I would be sure of a large or if I was an inch taller I would go XL, but I am in between I guess. They should make a large and a half lol.

mtbr member
    Old thread I know, but wanted to chime in anyway, as I'm contemplating a new bike. I've riden an XL Stumpjumper FSR for the past 8 years and it's been great. Test riding the new bikes, the XXL fits perfect. I know there's been some geometry changes, but for my body (6'4", long torso) this is where I'm at. The top tube gives me a great reach to the handlebars, the seat post is about 7 or so inches extended from the frame. May be picking one up here soon, in 29" wheels this time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
    Old thread I know, but wanted to chime in anyway, as I'm contemplating a new bike. I've riden an XL Stumpjumper FSR for the past 8 years and it's been great. Test riding the new bikes, the XXL fits perfect. I know there's been some geometry changes, but for my body (6'4", long torso) this is where I'm at. The top tube gives me a great reach to the handlebars, the seat post is about 7 or so inches extended from the frame. May be picking one up here soon, in 29" wheels this time!
    It's really funny that you posted this right now as I was just at my LBS a few hours ago trying to get the right size on another new bike. This time around I am looking at the Specialized Sirrus Comp for riding roads and paved paths. They only had a Large to try and it felt fairly good after adjusting the seat back as far as allowed, but I still feel an XL size might feel better to me. The Sirrus is very light weight, maneuverable, and gets up to speed fast on the pavement. I have been using my 2005 Hardtail Rockhopper Comp for road riding after installing some more road oriented tires, but it is heavy and not so fast.

Back in 2008 when I started this thread originally I ended up with a Stumpjumper FSR Comp XL size with a shorter stem and it worked out great. I really love that bike. Now I am kind of in between sizes again with the Sirrus Comp and the LBS is gonna get an XL in soon for me to try out. My guess is, I will end up with an XL Sirrus Comp with a slightly shorter stem like I did with the Stumpjumper.

I was contemplating on whether or not I should spend the money on another new bike, but in the end I decided that I want to enjoy my rides as much as possible whether on the road or on the trail and I am not getting any younger so I might better go out and get the bike I want.

Anyway, I hope you get your new bike soon and enjoy the heck out of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I was contemplating on whether or not I should spend the money on another new bike, but in the end I decided that I want to enjoy my rides as much as possible whether on the road or on the trail and I am not getting any younger so I might better go out and get the bike I want.

Anyway, I hope you get your new bike soon and enjoy the heck out of it.

Thanks and you to!

mtbr member
    This is annoying. Trying to work out what rear shock I can buy but all I get for spec off the specialized website for pitch pro is

REAR SHOCK Fox RP2, 2 position shock with pro-pedal or full-open, rebound adj., 7.875x2.25"

Any ideas???