mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Specialized Saddle - Comfort ??

Hi Guys

I just got a 13 Stumpy Elite 29er. The saddle (henge comp)doesn't feel good !

What are your feeling for an upgrade or just deal with it ?

Thx

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Henge saddles come in - as I recall - 130,142 and 155 widths. I've only tried the 142 and 130, tho. You may have the right saddle in the wrong width. Get your 'bones' measured at a Specialized dealer and try some different options based on that. Dealers usually have test saddles that you can demo.

There's not much point in paying much attention to others' opinions on what to buy, other than on non fit related aspects. Personally, I use a Fizik Gobi, but most seem to consider it pretty narrow, hard, and hopeless. I've tried pretty much every Specialized saddle and none of them really work for me, although I can ride on a Phenom if I have to.

WTB saddles are another option. Silverado, Pure V, and Speed V seem to be pretty popular. I keep a Pure V around as a loaner saddle because it seems to be an acceptable fit for just about anybody and it's soft enough to be usable without padded shorts. Something to ride on while you're looking for the perfect saddle.

It's also possible that the thing just needs some breaking in, but if it's biting you somewhere, that won't change.

mtbr member
    Nearly all my buddies use the Henge saddle in the stock 143 size. Almost everyone hated at first, but after a few rides you get use to it. Its my personal favorite. Give it a few rides before you decide to swap it out.

Like mentioned above the WTB Pure V is very popular and seems to work for most people. Might be a good one to try if the Henge doesnt cut it.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    When you say that the Henge doesn't feel good, what do you mean? Are you sitting on your coccyx (tailbone) on it? Does it just rub you wrong? Are your sit bones just not happy?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    +1

the 2013 Henge on my FSR Elite 2013 is horrible,I've had to look online for a replacement and ended up with a NOS 2011 Henge,best saddle I've ever had on my old 2011 Elite FSR,a real couch compared to the 2013 one.

mtbr member
    Hey Mark, sorry to say that saddle advice just won't work. Something that I like just might not be comfortable for you. I can suggest a few generic things though:

-Your seating position will affect comfort. Saddle height and location could affect comfort. Even your reach to the bars affects your contact with the saddle.

-Chamois are good.

-As mentioned, sometimes it can take a couple of rides to adjust to a new saddle - but don't punish yourself over mote than a handful of rides.