mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SPECIALIZED S- WORKS STUMPJUMPER 2006 or not?

Hi guys,

I have been offered a 2006 s-works Stumpjumper to buy. Unfortunately the frame has been resprayed.

My question is: How can I tell if it is really an s-works?

Thanks in advance.

Rory

mtbr member
    Curious that it has been resprayed already!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tonys102
    Curious that it has been resprayed already!!!
    Indeed, apparently the frame had some scratches but the owner didn't like the 'brown' as he put it. I personally prefer the brown to what it is now...white (my hope is this will also reflect in the price)

It does raise a few questions though.
    Last edited by stumpystyle; 03-25-2008 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    was it the carbon or anodized? Its not really so simple to "respray" an anodized frame....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    was it the carbon or anodized? Its not really so simple to "respray" an anodized frame....

anodized

We want... a shrubbery!
    Maybe take a look at the serial number on the frame? I don't know, but perhaps people on the board would -- do you know if by contacting Spesh with the serial number if they would be able to tell you what model & submodel you have?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    Maybe take a look at the serial number on the frame? I don't know, but perhaps people on the board would -- do you know if by contacting Spesh with the serial number if they would be able to tell you what model & submodel you have?

Yeah a serial number is what I'm after. I'm guessing all stumpy s-works have a certain type of number?

Any other info pertaining to the s-works would be most helpful dudes.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    You can find the serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket. There will more than likely be a couple sets of numbers. Right them all down for safe keeping. Contact specialized and give them the number, they can look it up very quickly and tell you everything you want to know about it, right down to what color it was originally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi guys,

Here is the number as recorded by the chap selling the frame.

M5GK04261
    ?THINK ITS 8 as under cable guide then X01

Can anyone on here verify that as an s-works 06 stumpy?

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    So you mean that the serial number is M-5-G-K-0-4-2-6-1-?-X-0-1...and he thinks the "?" is an 8?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    So you mean that the serial number is M-5-G-K-0-4-2-6-1-?-X-0-1...and he thinks the "?" is an 8?
    Yes, thats how he read it.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    Interesting...Every Specialized I ever owned have 10 digits or less depending on the model. My 2007 S-Works Stumpy FSR Carbon has a 10-digit serial #. But it's also carbon, not metal. There's actually 4 sets of numbers under my frame. I'm not sure how they are on the metal ones now, but on my 3 previous metal frames, they all started with at least 2 numbers, no letters. Those first two numbers stand for the year it was built. If your bike was a 99 and if you got an early production frame, it would start out 98 instead of 99, since bike production usually starts the year before they are released. So unless they have changed things for the year 2000 being incorporated, I would say the number should start with a 05 or 06...

If they did change it...the M5 may have some merit. The roman numeral for 2000 is MM. Maybe they are signifying 2000 models and up by starting them with an M. There M5 would stand for 2005 and the bike could in fact be a 2006 model...

...that's just my two cents. I'd ask the guy if he could take a picture of the serial number on the bottom bracket and send it to you. Then call specialized and thell them what you got.
    Last edited by G-Force; 03-27-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/sbcfaq...29&language=US

found this on the Specialized website...

type in "Serial" and look at choice #4