mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. Specialized S-Works Crank vs Shimano XTR Crank

I have a 2013 Specialized S-Works Epic. It came with an S-works crank and I'm debating on whether or not I should swap it out with a Shimano XTR crank, just to have it matching with the rest of the XTR components on the bike.

My question is, which crank performs better and is an overall better crank? I'm not concerned which one has better value, just performance, stiffness, weight, etc.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    im no expert on S-works but i do know, that it sint the easiest thing to swap from s-works cranks to XTR.
    im sure it is doable maybe not just so easy
    good luck though
    do you know how much the s-works crank weighs in g?
    i think i read the xtr is 300+g

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Firstly, the S Works cranks are lighter. I've ridden S Works cranks for a few years now and had zero problems. I have a set of XTR race cranks on my SW HT 29er and SW cranks on the Epic. I think the S Works cranks look better on the S Works, the XTR cranks look chunky in comparison. The XTR cranks are easy to fit, you just need the shimano adaptors for the BB. These give you the threaded BB to accept the XTR cups. I'd stick with the S Works as they are lighter, look better

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I would second the reliability. Normally you would expect an alloy crank to claim the honours here, but after 5,000kms on my SW cranks they are still going strong. Easy to remove and nice setup with the spiders. No complaints here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Okay, thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I will just stick with the S-Works crank then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have to agree mostly with Pete and others. I have XTR cranks on my 2012 M5 hardtail and they are working fine, but since you have the S-works, I would just stick with them. They (the S-works) are some beautiful cranks, and are lighter. I simply used the Wheels Manufacturing delrin reducers to use my XTR's in my PF30 BB, and have a Praxis BB waiting for when the PF one goes tits up ( hope expression isn't offensive, step-dad would say that a lot and would really crack me up!). But, despite others having issues with the PF adapters/bearings etc, mine haven't been a problem at all.

On a side note, I have been strongly considering building up a new Crux Pro frame, and if it happens I will definitely be getting the S-works or regular Specialized cranks for it. They are really nice looking cranks, and reportedly really stiff.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.