mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Specialized Roval wheels

hey guys,

I'm looking for a wheelset for my new bike. I mainly ride marathons so durability is very important.
    The new Specialized Roval wheels look promising, 1425g and tubeless ready.
    I wonder if someone can tell me something about the durability of those wheels or has any riding experience with it.

Any info is apreciated!

The Other Dude
    I have the Roval Traversee (spelling?!) wheelset, they are just a bit heavier than the ones you are looking at, but they have been pounded hard on some dh runs on my enduro SL and they are holding strong.....they have a lifetime warranty, i dont think you can go wrong with them, plus they are tubless and superlight.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can you tell me something about bearing quality? I don't know where you live but here it sometimes gets a real mudfest...

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    I have the Roval Traversee (spelling?!) wheelset, they are just a bit heavier than the ones you are looking at, but they have been pounded hard on some dh runs on my enduro SL and they are holding strong.....they have a lifetime warranty, i dont think you can go wrong with them, plus they are tubless and superlight.
    How strong is the rim against rock dings? I wonder if this carries over to the lighter wheels as well. My Crossmax SL rim is great, but it's a bit more vulnerable to rim dings than I would like.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I thought these wheels were quite limited to the compatable tyres? I think you have to use Specialized tyres... It's why I will go with Mavic or American Classics...

The Other Dude
    You do not need to run Specialized tires, you can run any ones you want, i have ran hutchinson spiders tubeless without any issues.

As for the rock question, i have yet to have any issues, and i blurped a tire off in a rock garden because i was running too low of a pressure (23psi!!!!) and had no issues, it actually sealed right back up and kept going, of course i filled it up then had no problems, i also ran them for 3 days on the local DH couse and got no rock gouges or anything. I ran the SLRs on my epic, and really rashed them up, it seems this specialized wheels are pretty darn strong.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How do you like the hub on the Roval?

The Other Dude
    The hubs are made by DT Swiss, so I have no worries about the hub, and the engagement is awesome, and not crazy loud like my hopes or kings.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Don't own a set, but was impressed with the bearing feel - very smooth. Seals look substantial enough and weights are impressive.

I've owned Mavic wheels and have always been happy with their stuff. Currently riding their 29er wheels and love 'em.

My lbs has Roval road wheels available as loaners and several people have raved about the balance of weight, stiffness, and smoothness. I'm trying to get them to bring in a set their mountain bike wheels for demo - I'll post a review if I get a chance to ride em.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If I remember well... when MBA tested the 08 S-Works stumpy they broke a rim in the test without ridding crazy... they said the wheels were fast but upgrading for something stronger could be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    You do not need to run Specialized tires, you can run any ones you want, i have ran hutchinson spiders tubeless without any issues.
    "Specialized broke with the UST standard on its tires to offer its 2Bliss system, which it claims offers tubeless performance at a lighter weight. The drawback is the wheels aren't compatible with UST tires - put one on and inflate it and it'll hold air for a bit, but come back in a half hour and it's flat. "

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6...6482-1,00.html

This was my info source. I've read elsewhere the same thing, that the 2Bliss system cuts down on tyre choice.

I'm not up on tyres and don't know how many tyres are available in 2Bliss.

The Other Dude
    Thats funny, my Hutchinson UST Tires hold air just fine, and I run Captain 2.0 2Bliss tires on my Crossmax SLR's UST's without issues also, they seam to work fine with a bit of stans in them. I have yet to have issues.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Your running your pressures too low - won't dent if you keep it off the rocks. No wheel will hold up to direct contact with rocks! Just because you can run lower pressures doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I hear people rave about the low pressures they run and then are aggrevated when they tear up an expensive wheel. Air is free - throw a little extra in there.

banned
    Mar 2004
    The MTB Action test used the light weight XC wheels on an all mountian bike. That bike should have had the Travesee's instead. A little heavier but more durable. I like the fact that they use all DT Swiss made parts except for the rim. Shouldn't be an issue with using UST tires. The rims seal just as well but they are designed to be used with sealant. Speaking of sealant, I tried the Specialized stuff and it didn't seem to work at all. Went back with the Stans and no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Your running your pressures too low - won't dent if you keep it off the rocks. No wheel will hold up to direct contact with rocks! Just because you can run lower pressures doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I hear people rave about the low pressures they run and then are aggrevated when they tear up an expensive wheel. Air is free - throw a little extra in there.
    Or, you can look for a stronger rim without going to a downhill model. And, the best place to find that info is right here, by asking owners of the latest and greatest! Oh, and I have dented rims in the past at 45psi with bad luck, so it can still happen. The unfortunate issue is being heavy (hey, I lost 65lbs so far!) and relying on the absolute shape of the rim to hold air (being tubeless). Dinging tubed rims while using disc brakes isn't such a big deal, so you don't really notice it.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Excellent, that'll be a pair of Rovel Royales going on the new Epic frame I just bought then...

The Other Dude
    yeah, i agree with you, i tried the specialized airlock juice......not impressed, i went back to stans, you cant beat it.