mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Specialized Roval Traverse SL - Breaking Spokes

Posted in Wheels & Tires section with little replies, maybe I can get more feedback here?

Running the above wheelset and love them, stiff, strong, light, however, breaking spokes like if they were spagettis.

Specialized response has been great and re-building the wheel for me at no cost with new spokes and nipples since they never seen this before.

Anyone else running this wheelset with a similar issue?

Set up is Butchers Controls (F&R), 28/32 PSI, 80kg rider, fairly aggresive rider. 26" size. 2013 Model.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I've been running 2011 SL's (29") since new, now with over 5,000kms on them. I have replaced about 6 spokes in the rear in that time, and none on the front. The rears have mostly been caused by damage to the spokes though dropped chains over the last 2.5 years.

Love the wheels.

bikerpilot
    Skiwi do you know where to find spoke length info for the SL 29 wheels? I think I have the 2012 model. Also, do you know of any place online to order a few of the straightpull spokes? None of the LBS near me stock them, and I'd like to pick up a few of each length. I have a broken aerolite rear spoke right now with no local options for repair, so it looks like I'll have to send it off to the service center.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Workin for the weekend!
    Lots of busted spokes on the Rovals... Wonder why?
    Todd

mtbr member
    My buddy with the 29er version busts spokes all the time. I have the 26" and tey have been great. Even used them at a bike park with no issues.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Lots of busted spokes on the Rovals... Wonder why?
    I can only think of Spesh using crappy spokes??? I have been riding Downhill for years and never, ever had a broken spoke before. Even on soft rims however, all Alu.

This is my first experience with Carbon Rims and they are amazing, can't believe how good they are but this spoke issue is driving me crazy, specially happening on both F&R. And if not broken, they come loose often.

Had the wheels trued last weekend and going well so far but will get them re-built shortly and see how it goes.

bikerpilot
    I've been riding my SLs for a couple of years with no problems. I hit a hard g-out creek crossing with rocks in the bottom this weekend, pretty fast, and just broke one for some reason.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I broke 2 non-drive side spokes on my 13 Control SL's. Both while braking JRA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    After about a year and a half I broke three at different times on the rear. Had it rebuilt with straight gauge spokes. Make sure you take them to a good wheelbuilder and then have them retension them after about a month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for all he replies guys. Will provide some feedback once wheels are re-built.

mtbr member
    Never broke a single spoke on all the SL's owned and still owns...touching wood. They are incredibly thin spokes for sure. Maybe my habit of keeping a road bike like pressure helps ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The explanation Specialized has given me is that the rim is extremely stiff and with the lightweight spokes some of the wheels use the spoke becomes the weak link in the wheel. better to break some spokes than a carbon rim I guess.

BTW all the spokes they use in their wheels are DT revolutions, aerolites, super comps ,or competitions.

Epic rider

Re: Specialized Roval Traverse SL - Breaking Spokes

Quote Originally Posted by DaPooz View Post
    The explanation Specialized has given me is that the rim is extremely stiff and with the lightweight spokes some of the wheels use the spoke becomes the weak link in the wheel.
    I think the wheelbuilder(machine) was the weak link?
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    After a fun summer of hitting the local bike park, I began busting spokes on my rear wheel almost every ride. Turns out I had loosened them up pretty much all around on the rear wheel.

I called Specialized and got the torque specs... 1100nm or a deflection of about 18-19 if you have the Park Tools tension meter/deflection tool. They advised the torque is the same front and back, drive and brake side. I basically loosened all spokes and re-tightened to spec on the rear (watch the dishing!!). Ended up 16-17 brake side, and 20ish on the drive side to get the rim true, hop free, and dished. Spoke-break free for a month + now! Of course, now that I've boasted, I'll probably pop a few this morning...
    Last edited by mjlundy; 02-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Update report. After I had the wheels rebuilt, so far so good. Just got back from a week of heli biking including some bike park riding and they are good. One spoke on the rear lost a little tension but that's about it.

Hope I don't jinx things with this post!!